Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-05-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133700)
I don't think you guys realise how bad COVID-19 is, and that's why you guys have so much scepticism. Other fresh grads are also being lowballed, go to the MCI and IMDA page.

s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11815-mci-imda-3.html

This is pretty depressing news, feel bad for fresh grads this year as they graduate into a recession. I read some articles saying those who grad into a recession tend to have permanent scarring..hopefully the civil service will readjust their pay when the pandemic is over.

Unregistered 10-05-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133716)
This is pretty depressing news, feel bad for fresh grads this year as they graduate into a recession. I read some articles saying those who grad into a recession tend to have permanent scarring..hopefully the civil service will readjust their pay when the pandemic is over.

but CS fresh grad pay is already budgeted for, i doubt they will reduce just cuz of covid.

Unregistered 10-05-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133718)
but CS fresh grad pay is already budgeted for, i doubt they will reduce just cuz of covid.

that's what I thought too, unless all the posts in the forum thread are by trolls haha 🤷*♂️

Unregistered 10-05-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133659)
From statistics point of view, i think the chances of you being a stats nus first class honours is very low.

Let me explain why.

Any science major, much less a stats first class honours, should be analytical enough to look at the nus ges.
At 75th percentile it is already 3700 or 3800. So for first class honours even higher. You should have known.

You have seniors who would have tell you the indicative benchmarks, civil service salary are also widely known

The fact that is that you didnt check.

Any first class honours would have done a comprehensive data collection, especially u are a stat major.

Given that my prior experience with stats major is that they believe in data, collect it extensively.

From bayesian stats:

P(first class stats honours|Didnt collect impt info)

=[P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours)*P(first class honours)]/p(didnt collect impt info)

Since first class is rare, ie p(first class) is small and P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours) is even rarer
The product is super small

Therefore From bayesian stats, the posterior likelihood of u being a stats first class honours From nus (given that u didnt check the income norm) is very low.

isn't this secondary school probability..... i'm very sure a stats major knows more than this.....

Unregistered 11-05-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133745)
isn't this secondary school probability..... i'm very sure a stats major knows more than this.....

Precisely and he didnt even collect data!
Actually not sec sch lah, uni year 1 module level.

Unregistered 11-05-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133716)

Do you realise our pay is made up of two component

1 is the fixed component 90%
Another is 10% variable component

If economy goes worse i think they might just say paycut 10% for all.
But will have implications if they do that to civil morale will be low, and reduce further aggregate demand.

Also historically govt can also reduce cpf contribution but the fear is foreclosure when ppl cant pay their bank loan

Unregistered 11-05-2020 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133700)
I don't think you guys realise how bad COVID-19 is, and that's why you guys have so much scepticism. Other fresh grads are also being lowballed, go to the MCI and IMDA page.

s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11815-mci-imda-3.html

lel i got an offer from another ministry paying 4.5k so maybe MCI is just bad? in fact this is a $150 increment from 2019 according to my seniors.

Unregistered 11-05-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133749)
Precisely and he didnt even collect data!
Actually not sec sch lah, uni year 1 module level.

lol bro i'm talking bout you leh, you wrote so long about the probabilities. this is sec school or jc math. you a bit tryhard

Unregistered 11-05-2020 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133753)
lel i got an offer from another ministry paying 4.5k so maybe MCI is just bad? in fact this is a $150 increment from 2019 according to my seniors.

May we check if it's MFA? :)

Unregistered 11-05-2020 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133753)

Fresh grad or with experiences?