Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 01-05-2020 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132905)
My grapevine tells me not to go there. Hierarchy is flat n little opportunity to promote.

Anyway, did u c a lot a lot of job positions suddenly open from mti? Cos recently there was a flux of enmasse resignation.

Not gg to reveal exactly why. But if u are ok with starting anew in this covid situation then the decision is entirely up to u.

dont be a tease and share with us why there was a mass resignation... =P pretty please.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133058)
dont be a tease and share with us why there was a mass resignation... =P pretty please.

It is history best not revisited in detail. Don’t think it will repeat again now that it happened once.

Did a check on careers at gov and also saw they have recruited for most of the positions by now. Just apply and decide for yourself, especially if you are keen on joining the civil service and on the jobscope. Some positions are unique only to MTI.

Just go in with your eyes wide open on the flat hierarchy and don’t go in just because you hear of the salary/bonuses or what not. Also, take heed that people don’t tender for no reason. Either way it is opportunity for the organisation to recruit new blood.

Good luck.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132935)
I'm a perm staff in one of the SBs. Recently heard from the grapevine that our department might get corporatized into a GLC in a few years.

When that happens, will I get a choice to leave or stay with the SB? Or whole dept must leave together with the sinking ship?

anyone have any idea?

Unregistered 02-05-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133099)
anyone have any idea?

Thats a really funny question. U can leave ur sb anytime with a simple resignation. After all who wants to continue to stay on a “sinking ship”?

Anyway u gotta verify ur info on the glc thing since no one knows which sb is doing it. If true and u wanna stay in the sb, just ask for a transfer into the sb’s other depts. better yet just find another gov agency.

If u insist on staying to c what the glc is going to offer, then u w be subjected to what the sb will do to u in terms of employee movement when the time draws near. If they freeze transfers before the incorporation (which is highly likely) the only thing you can do then is resign.

Honestly just ask ur HR. They w b in a better position to advise.

Unregistered 02-05-2020 05:59 PM

Are teacher salaries (GEO) about the same as other ministries (MX)? Anyone knows?

Unregistered 02-05-2020 06:02 PM

Generally higher.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133140)
Are teacher salaries (GEO) about the same as other ministries (MX)? Anyone knows?

Unregistered 03-05-2020 03:09 AM

Hi guys, NUS fresh grad here. I'm considering a career in the civil service and when reading through this thread, I kept seeing posts about farmers vs scholars. Is it still a thing today? I'm afraid I'll 'stagnate' since I'm not a scholar...also, if I have a FCH, will that help in any way? Thank you!

Unregistered 04-05-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133156)
Hi guys, NUS fresh grad here. I'm considering a career in the civil service and when reading through this thread, I kept seeing posts about farmers vs scholars. Is it still a thing today? I'm afraid I'll 'stagnate' since I'm not a scholar...also, if I have a FCH, will that help in any way? Thank you!

Yes, the farmer vs scholar is still existent now. I guess it really depends on your luck - whether your first 1-2 postings have good senior management that are willing to give farmers a chance. Having said that, this won't get you far without the performance....so give it a shot and see whether you like civil service work. it's quite different from private sector work.

Unregistered 04-05-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

do your best in all circumstance, and don't be sad if u see your scholar friends flying even if they do mediocre work or 'staged-for-success' work.

Unregistered 04-05-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

it's ok to be a farmer

best if you marry a fellow farmer.
affording a condo will be pretty easy.