Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 11-04-2020 09:45 AM

it's actually not unusual. The first interviews are conducted by DDs and Directors. Final interviews are by Senior Management (e.g. DSes, CEs) There can be 101 reasons why they decide not to hire u.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132085)
im the same poster from #9200, just to add-on, the only other legit reason i could think of them rejecting u is bcos ur 40 years old or older n ageism exists in the job market.

Ministries usually have stricter background checks compared to Statboards. if u can't clear the final stage of interviews with 2 different Ministries, i'm sad to say it's a very high chance there's something SERIOUSLY WRONG with your personal background or u are hiding it from us.

try applying for a Statboard. if Statboard also cannot clear, den just forget about govt jobs liao.

Unregistered 11-04-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132098)
Hi all,

I’m a temp staff that is planning to get converted. I have a part time pte degree and three yrs of exp with ns. If my experience was when I don’t have a degree yet will hr still consider that I have no experience? The position is at a statboard

Not if things are diff in Mins. But based on me experience (sb), I would say try to peesent a case with your exp to justify why you deserve that higher starting pay. If you fail it's ok, at least no regrets.

The HR wont be nice and tell you that you can actually use certain experience to ask for higher. They just take what you submit... This was my personal experience coming in from private as experienced hire but given mx13 Senior Exec cos I stupidly asked for it when applying thinking it was a decent post. They called me to double cfm that's the position I was applying for and I stupidly said yes. They also double cfm that the salary I was asking for and I said yes. On hindsight it might have shown tat they were stunned at my "self lowball" but didnt want to highlight it.

Unregistered 11-04-2020 03:28 PM

Fresh grad here with FCH, I got 2 job offers, one from an economic ministry (policy role) and another as an analyst at Nielsen (American MNC). I'm really torn on which to pick because both jobs seem interesting to me. Ministry starting salary is higher., not sure about prospects though. Can you guys offer insight/guidance on which I should pick pls thanks!

Unregistered 11-04-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132117)
Fresh grad here with FCH, I got 2 job offers, one from an economic ministry (policy role) and another as an analyst at Nielsen (American MNC). I'm really torn on which to pick because both jobs seem interesting to me. Ministry starting salary is higher., not sure about prospects though. Can you guys offer insight/guidance on which I should pick pls thanks!

in times like these (covid-19), it's a no-brainer to choose the govt job.

Unregistered 11-04-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132117)

Ministry!!!! What policy would you do? Is tf ur interest

Unregistered 12-04-2020 07:31 PM

Poster from #9198 and related.

Interesting points from other posters regarding the possibilities of rejection.

I must say unfortunately there are no "shameful pasts" that I may be hiding. However, I do have a private degree cert even though its a FCH. Not wanting to dive into a debate with regards to local versus private but I am always forward and highlighted these during the interview and my resume.

Unless I mistook the way the I cleared round one within a day and got invited to 2nd round in a day, tbe director telling me he wants me in, and the HR affirming it after that outside the room, I am pretty sure the interview went very well.

Anyway, I am really trying to see are there anyone like me during this time as I was initially wondering if cvoid had an impact. However one of the poster mentioned previously that there isnt an impact?

Unregistered 12-04-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132165)
Poster from #9198 and related.

Interesting points from other posters regarding the possibilities of rejection.

I must say unfortunately there are no "shameful pasts" that I may be hiding. However, I do have a private degree cert even though its a FCH. Not wanting to dive into a debate with regards to local versus private but I am always forward and highlighted these during the interview and my resume.

Unless I mistook the way the I cleared round one within a day and got invited to 2nd round in a day, tbe director telling me he wants me in, and the HR affirming it after that outside the room, I am pretty sure the interview went very well.

Anyway, I am really trying to see are there anyone like me during this time as I was initially wondering if cvoid had an impact. However one of the poster mentioned previously that there isnt an impact?

im 1 of the posters who replied to your post earlier.

like i said earlier, ur a pretty straightforward guy. and a pretty simple-minded n happy-go-lucky guy if i may add, judging from your posts. take their answers with a pinch of salt. they may sugarcoat it and u may not know what's going on behind the scenes with regards to your hiring/job application.

i have experience in Civil Service (CS). let's just say that most, if not all of the time for pte degree holders that i interact with (i've interacted with a mix of close to 20 local and pte degree holders FYI), they usually hire those in QS Uni World Top 200 Rankings + SMU. and if ur pte degree holder, u rly rly rly need to possess a special/unique skillset that the hirers are looking out for.

Unregistered 14-04-2020 01:52 AM

"private degree" and "Ministry".

u can only choose 1 of them. they dont go hand in hand lol

Unregistered 14-04-2020 05:20 AM

Hi! just got offered 3.9k from a SB and HR says theres no room for nego. would this be considered a fair deal?

im a 28 yrs old, no NS, did my bachelors locally and my masters overseas (both irrelevant to the role though). but i also had 3 years of (relevant) private sector experience.

thanks!

Unregistered 14-04-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132212)
Hi! just got offered 3.9k from a SB and HR says theres no room for nego. would this be considered a fair deal?

im a 28 yrs old, no NS, did my bachelors locally and my masters overseas (both irrelevant to the role though). but i also had 3 years of (relevant) private sector experience.

thanks!

just take the offer