Compare civil service salary - Page 861 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #8601 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is the civil sector salary the same/better/not as good as the private sector?

Can someone explain this comparison to me. Fresh grad trying to learn here.
If you work in a SME, chances are that civil service will be much better than it.
If you work in a MNC/listed company, chances are that civil service will be much lousier than it in terms of potential for progress.

The civil service is progressively also getting more stringent on offering that iron rice bowl and increasingly more willing to let go of underperforming staff. That said, it still has the strongest stability for any employer once you get confirmed.

The worst thing about civil service for non scholars is that it has a deeply entrenched practice of rewarding people for their past achievements rather than their current contributions. E.g. if you hadve a first class honour degree, or if you are a govt scholar, you will get amplified credit for promotion even if there is someone who has objectively contributed more than you but who isnt a scholar. That can be extremely frustrating for talent who simply did not excel in school/ were exam smart.

Over time you will see that the scholars will remain, non-scholar talent will leave, and those who just wish to lie low and work hard for the next pay cheque will remain. This is the typical long term picture.

So you can decide based on your academic profile and character whether the civil service is good for you.

Reply With Quote
  #8602 (permalink)  
Old 16-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I just completed my diploma recently. I am currently on NPL and will be returning to workforce soon. Been working with the ministry for 5years and I am under MX15 (monthly $2k). When I first joined the Ministry my highest qualification Higher Nitec. Since I have completed my dip, anyone knows will they revised my salary or no? Anyone from HR can advise on this. In dilemma. Should I stay (stability - perm staff) or look for better paying job if there is no revised in salary. TIA
a lot of factors to take into consideration:

1) did u take up the diploma on your own?
2) or were u sent by your ministry to take this diploma for further upgrading?

if 2), u can throw hints/be direct to your RO/boss and let him know that u have alr graduated n seek for promotion/higher pay.
NOTE N DISCLAIMER: not all M and SBs practice this. in fact, some of them even warn u beforehand on the bonded letter that nothing will happen to u even after graduation.

if your case is 1), im afraid that your organisation will only consider certs that are relevant to your industry. i know bcos i have seen ex-colleagues leaving after completing their degree n not getting rewarded at all.

Reply With Quote
  #8603 (permalink)  
Old 16-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you work in a SME, chances are that civil service will be much better than it.
If you work in a MNC/listed company, chances are that civil service will be much lousier than it in terms of potential for progress.

The civil service is progressively also getting more stringent on offering that iron rice bowl and increasingly more willing to let go of underperforming staff. That said, it still has the strongest stability for any employer once you get confirmed.

The worst thing about civil service for non scholars is that it has a deeply entrenched practice of rewarding people for their past achievements rather than their current contributions. E.g. if you hadve a first class honour degree, or if you are a govt scholar, you will get amplified credit for promotion even if there is someone who has objectively contributed more than you but who isnt a scholar. That can be extremely frustrating for talent who simply did not excel in school/ were exam smart.

Over time you will see that the scholars will remain, non-scholar talent will leave, and those who just wish to lie low and work hard for the next pay cheque will remain. This is the typical long term picture.

So you can decide based on your academic profile and character whether the civil service is good for you.
This is indeed the situation in my stat board. Regret joining from private sector. No scholar no go.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8604 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you work in a SME, chances are that civil service will be much better than it.
If you work in a MNC/listed company, chances are that civil service will be much lousier than it in terms of potential for progress.

The civil service is progressively also getting more stringent on offering that iron rice bowl and increasingly more willing to let go of underperforming staff. That said, it still has the strongest stability for any employer once you get confirmed.

The worst thing about civil service for non scholars is that it has a deeply entrenched practice of rewarding people for their past achievements rather than their current contributions. E.g. if you hadve a first class honour degree, or if you are a govt scholar, you will get amplified credit for promotion even if there is someone who has objectively contributed more than you but who isnt a scholar. That can be extremely frustrating for talent who simply did not excel in school/ were exam smart.

Over time you will see that the scholars will remain, non-scholar talent will leave, and those who just wish to lie low and work hard for the next pay cheque will remain. This is the typical long term picture.

So you can decide based on your academic profile and character whether the civil service is good for you.
There seems to be a lot of first class hons grads going to civil service. They're not treated like scholars right? I.e. they get higher starting salary but do not get the same promotions
Reply With Quote
  #8605 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There seems to be a lot of first class hons grads going to civil service. They're not treated like scholars right? I.e. they get higher starting salary but do not get the same promotions
In some ministries they do
Reply With Quote
  #8606 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is the civil sector salary the same/better/not as good as the private sector?

Can someone explain this comparison to me. Fresh grad trying to learn here.
Just my 2 cents worth. Objectively, the nature of work in Ministries and SBs can be quite diff. Ms focuses a lot on policies, studies and governance while SBs are more focused in the execution of policies/regulations in their respective domains.

There are significantly more scholars in the Ms simply because the govt thinks that's where the thinking caps should go. And to justify their investments in the scholarships, they are obliged to give the scholars more opportunities to shine. Competing with these scholars require you to be on par with them in terms of eloquence, confidence and insight. These aren't exactly quantifiable traits, hence it can seem unfair during perfomance evaluation.

On the other hand, work at SBs often has more defined KPIs. If you are a do-er more than a thinker, you have more opportunities to shine there. Scholars here will still have advantages, but end results are more visible. I have seen farmers rise faster than scholars because they delivered higher KPIs. But course, there isn't the norm.
Reply With Quote

  #8607 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Salary range

Hi is there anyone able to share the starting salary range in gov sector for technical officer with 10 years working experience.
Reply With Quote
  #8608 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2019, 12:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In some ministries they do
Oh! What ministries are they?
Reply With Quote
  #8609 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2019, 02:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
a lot of factors to take into consideration:

1) did u take up the diploma on your own?
2) or were u sent by your ministry to take this diploma for further upgrading?

if 2), u can throw hints/be direct to your RO/boss and let him know that u have alr graduated n seek for promotion/higher pay.
NOTE N DISCLAIMER: not all M and SBs practice this. in fact, some of them even warn u beforehand on the bonded letter that nothing will happen to u even after graduation.

if your case is 1), im afraid that your organisation will only consider certs that are relevant to your industry. i know bcos i have seen ex-colleagues leaving after completing their degree n not getting rewarded at all.
Thank you for this info. Appreciate. Really helpful.

Ya i took the diploma on my own and ya it's a recognised cert (from local poly) relevant to my industry. I wrote it to HR to enquire. Just trying my luck since I need to update them on my updated qualification. Currently waiting for their reply and just crossing my fingers. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8610 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Has anyone in ministry asked for a pay raise successfully before?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 143 07-09-2020 04:27 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 7,769 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,306 Replies, 319,148 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
454 Replies, 145,665 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,943 Replies, 1,401,010 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
881 Replies, 602,923 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,889,820 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 241,600 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,002 Replies, 3,339,280 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
199 Replies, 41,206 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,853 Replies, 1,239,506 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,693 Replies, 1,055,392 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,161 Replies, 6,216,567 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 204,798 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,108 Replies, 866,687 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,562 Replies, 2,115,724 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,383 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,859 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 183,764 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,752 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,507 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 5,975 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 68 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,152 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,392 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,559 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 76 Views
Starting new employment while...
6 Replies, 320 Views
Big4 Tax Career Prospect
4 Replies, 2,320 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2