Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 26-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

Talking Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can imagine people doing that though, "my friend gets near to 4k why am i getting only 3.2. i feel unfair" or i can also imagine people rejecting the job after believing they are underpaid by these hearsay.

And then find their way into "anyone unemployed for a long time" haha. OK ok, pardon my sarcasm.

Person A takes 4.5k works 996 (says Jack Ma) and Person B take 3.4k goes home on time, per hour salary is reasonable what... As mid career, I rarely meet people who take 4.5K n can go Jb eat seafood dinner. If they do go home, they actually are on standby and must reply email anytime the phone buzz.

People love to brag with numbers... The sacrifices they make only they know.

QUOTE=Unregistered;117682]Yes, 18 months is really high right, i was like wow when he told me that. I am so envious of his paycheque.

normal prescribed working hours, but often works until 10+ to 11+. Need to fly around sometimes, but get glamorous treatments to events like F1 paddock clubs. It's really like the government investment bank to some extent, trying to improve Singapore's economy by getting people to invest in Singapore. Was told that there's a lot of scholars there also, like a rite of passage to understand the development of Singapore's economy.[/QUOTE]
Till midnight and need to fly is already not normal prescribed hours. But youngsters can learn more while energy is not a problem.

Glam treatment.. Flying... Is not for everyone. Flying means u got to sleep on the plane and rush for meeting the moment u land. Sometimes after meeting rush back and present to your directors, no such thing as extend the trip. And all this takes place during the weekend. Your directors presentation is Monday morning and you are sleep deprived.

Going to f1 paddock but don't mean you bring your wife children girlfriend along.. You go there to entertain as a representative of your company. Good for some nightmare for others.

One mans meat another man's poison. My mom always hear her sister bragging about f1.. About business trip bring back nice things for her... Fly 3 times a month, but my cousin always quietly share w us say not worth the 5k... Looking for less money less demand. 1 month out of 4 weekends he burns 2.

Good if one enjoys it, and nice on the resume.. I'm just offering the negative perspective for consideration.

Old 26-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Talking Imho

Quote:
I can imagine people doing that though, "my friend gets near to 4k why am i getting only 3.2. i feel unfair" or i can also imagine people rejecting the job after believing they are underpaid by these hearsay.

And then find their way into "anyone unemployed for a long time" haha. OK ok, pardon my sarcasm.

Person A takes 4.5k works 996 (says Jack Ma) and Person B take 3.4k goes home on time, per hour salary is reasonable what... As mid career, I rarely meet people who take 4.5K n can go Jb eat seafood dinner. If they do go home, they actually are on standby and must reply email anytime the phone buzz.

Quote:
Yes, 18 months is really high right, i was like wow when he told me that. I am so envious of his paycheque.

normal prescribed working hours, but often works until 10+ to 11+. Need to fly around sometimes, but get glamorous treatments to events like F1 paddock clubs. It's really like the government investment bank to some extent, trying to improve Singapore's economy by getting people to invest in Singapore. Was told that there's a lot of scholars there also, like a rite of passage to understand the development of Singapore's economy.
Till midnight and need to fly is already not normal prescribed hours. But youngsters can learn more while energy is not a problem.

Glam treatment.. Flying... Is not for everyone. Flying means u got to sleep on the plane and rush for meeting the moment u land. Sometimes after meeting rush back and present to your directors, no such thing as extend the trip. And all this takes place during the weekend. Your directors presentation is Monday morning and you are sleep deprived.

Going to f1 paddock but don't mean you bring your wife children girlfriend along.. You go there to entertain as a representative of your company. Good for some nightmare for others.

One mans meat another man's poison. My mom always hear her sister bragging about f1.. About business trip bring back nice things for her... Fly 3 times a month, but my cousin always quietly share w us say not worth the 5k... Looking for less money less demand. 1 month out of 4 weekends he burns 2.

Good if one enjoys it, and nice on the resume.. I'm just offering the negative perspective for consideration.

Old 26-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Talking Imho

Quote:

then find their way into "anyone unemployed for a long time" haha. OK ok, pardon my sarcasm.

Quote:
Yes, 18 months is really high right, i was like wow when he told me that. I am so envious of his paycheque.

normal prescribed working hours, but often works until 10+ to 11+. Need to fly around sometimes, but get glamorous treatments to events like F1 paddock clubs. It's really like the government investment bank to some extent, trying to improve Singapore's economy by getting people to invest in Singapore. Was told that there's a lot of scholars there also, like a rite of passage to understand the development of Singapore's economy.

Old 26-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

does anybody have reliable info on general salary estimates for the top tier stat boards/GLCs and ministries that pay good for fresh grads? eg. like EDB as mentioned in the thread. Not looking at engineering stat boards or GLCs (such as LTA or ST) as they pay good for fresh grad but i heard the progression after is extremely slow. what others can i look at apart from EDB?
Old 26-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
does anybody have reliable info on general salary estimates for the top tier stat boards/GLCs and ministries that pay good for fresh grads? eg. like EDB as mentioned in the thread. Not looking at engineering stat boards or GLCs (such as LTA or ST) as they pay good for fresh grad but i heard the progression after is extremely slow. what others can i look at apart from EDB?
why not tell us what you are looking for, like quote some SB that you are interested to work in which are in your opinion top-tier and provide opportunities in your field. wait hold on, it seems like you have no idea as well and you are just floating onto SB that top-tier and high paying (see your last sentence of first paragraph).

anyway, there's no truly reliable source here, because anyone can lie how much they are being offered and hence this is just for reference.

as much as we'd want to help you give some inputs, it would be good if you could identify yourself (gender, uni, degree class, status (fresh or mid career) and etc).
Old 26-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if you are in IT and dont mind politics, can try IHIS or govtech.. good pay (better than EDB annual package) and loads of opportunity.. and IHIS being a glc (not sb), have better benefits when it come to flexi and annual leave..

if you are not in IT, probably you can look at Polytechnics (sb) or Uni (glc).. pretty high pay too..

Old 27-04-2019, 01:01 AM
Unregistered

anyone in LTA?

hows that place?
Old 27-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
anyone in LTA?

hows that place?
My buddy. Works 996. Review on glassdoor is realistic. Go read.
Old 27-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
why not tell us what you are looking for, like quote some SB that you are interested to work in which are in your opinion top-tier and provide opportunities in your field. wait hold on, it seems like you have no idea as well and you are just floating onto SB that top-tier and high paying (see your last sentence of first paragraph).

anyway, there's no truly reliable source here, because anyone can lie how much they are being offered and hence this is just for reference.

as much as we'd want to help you give some inputs, it would be good if you could identify yourself (gender, uni, degree class, status (fresh or mid career) and etc).
if i knew exactly which SB is good i wouldnt need to ask here, from what i understand, most govt coys are pretty thrashy to work for in terms of progression and what output they actually have, did an intern in a GLC before and heard from friends that did so in others before. Im just looking at 3-5 years in after fresh grad, because right now im going private first as a fresh grad.

so right now im just keeping a lookout on good "SBs" to prepare myself for the relevant skills needed if i want to jump thats all.
Old 27-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Default for your consideration

Quote:
if i knew exactly which SB is good i wouldnt need to ask here, from what i understand, most govt coys are pretty thrashy to work for in terms of progression and what output they actually have, did an intern in a GLC before and heard from friends that did so in others before. Im just looking at 3-5 years in after fresh grad, because right now im going private first as a fresh grad.

so right now im just keeping a lookout on good "SBs" to prepare myself for the relevant skills needed if i want to jump thats all.
I admire that a youngster has the wisdom to plan a career path early on. However, if you are planning for the unpredictable future, may I suggest this question is too early?

upskill yourself accordingly. if you are in accounts, then take those ACCA, CAT, FIA, CFA & CIMA imp certs. If you are in engineering, there are project management certs..... hope you get my drift.

this is my sensing of how you analyse (maybe wrong)
1. target a good SB 2. target a department 3. find out what qualifications they value 4. now faster go take within 2-3 years

rather, I suggest you proceed this way.
1. be great in a field 2. get the important certs within 2-3 years 3. apply to a suitable SB

Many of my young friends aim to be a teacher.
In Singapore, the most sensible employer is MOE. However, MOE prefers people who studied a field - BSc Physics, Bsc Math, Ba English, .... bla bla bla. They love mid-career who are happy to take a pay cut. They don't expect people to study BA Education (Math) However, it does exist. Doing it this way (BA Ed Math) erodes the breadth of your options though.

let's say u don't believe in 996, then please steer clear of banks and tech companies. If you want quality time with family steer clear of retail, hospitality and medical.

if you want an idea of the culture of a SB, try glassssdoor. Glassssdoor at least organises the big data a lot better (to me) Glassssdoor you may have 100 reviews, here just 1 or 2...