Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 

Old 17-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have graduated from local uni back in 2014.

How much would it be an average annual package should I join the government?
what's your degree and class of honors?

Old 18-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Seems like the PB is lower this year compared to previous years for the same grade. Govt cutting cost. Time to look for alternatives.
If you want to come out from CS, better do it when young because CS work experience doesnt count for much in the private sector. The other factor is the energy level is higher when younger and you will need this higher energy level in the competitive environment in the private sector. The "typical" movement is for people in the private sector to get into the CS after they have amassed enough wealth from their private sector jobs, and they want a lower work tempo albeit lower remuneration in the CS.

I am a "true blue" CS employee, having worked more than 33 years in the CS. I have countless colleagues leaving the CS to join the private sector with varying levels of success. A few have done well in the private sector rising to top management levels while a big majority have not. Those who were not successful in the private sector ended up worse off than those of us sticking through thick and thin with the CS. On the other hand, those who were successful in the private sector are miles ahead of us both in terms of management level as well as wealth accumulation.

Now, ironically, those that did not fare well outside (in the private sector) are trying to get back into the CS, but without success (even though they were willing to settle for lower pay), and those that the CS wanted back are those who are successful but are not willing to come back into the CS.

You have to decide early whether you want to try out the private sector and not wait till you are over 30.

When I compare with my ex-classmates from the uni, I think I (with a career in CS) am among the top 15 in the class in terms of career progression and wealth. Many who worked in the private sector have experienced one retrenchment! At our current age, some of my classmates have stopped working because they have given up looking for a job, but as you know, in the CS, we can work beyond 62. The choice is ours.

Old 18-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you want to come out from CS, better do it when young because CS work experience doesnt count for much in the private sector. The other factor is the energy level is higher when younger and you will need this higher energy level in the competitive environment in the private sector. The "typical" movement is for people in the private sector to get into the CS after they have amassed enough wealth from their private sector jobs, and they want a lower work tempo albeit lower remuneration in the CS.

I am a "true blue" CS employee, having worked more than 33 years in the CS. I have countless colleagues leaving the CS to join the private sector with varying levels of success. A few have done well in the private sector rising to top management levels while a big majority have not. Those who were not successful in the private sector ended up worse off than those of us sticking through thick and thin with the CS. On the other hand, those who were successful in the private sector are miles ahead of us both in terms of management level as well as wealth accumulation.

Now, ironically, those that did not fare well outside (in the private sector) are trying to get back into the CS, but without success (even though they were willing to settle for lower pay), and those that the CS wanted back are those who are successful but are not willing to come back into the CS.

You have to decide early whether you want to try out the private sector and not wait till you are over 30.

When I compare with my ex-classmates from the uni, I think I (with a career in CS) am among the top 15 in the class in terms of career progression and wealth. Many who worked in the private sector have experienced one retrenchment! At our current age, some of my classmates have stopped working because they have given up looking for a job, but as you know, in the CS, we can work beyond 62. The choice is ours.
Thanks for sharing. What is your deciding factor to stay in CS and not venture out to private sector.

I have not worked in CS but dont think I can afford the risk of being jobless when I am in my 40s.

Old 18-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. What is your deciding factor to stay in CS and not venture out to private sector.

I have not worked in CS but dont think I can afford the risk of being jobless when I am in my 40s.
I was recruited to join the CS even before I graduated. Although I was not a scholar, I eventually earned a scholarship to further my studies and in the process was bonded for 5 years upon obtaining my Masters at an overseas Uni in the US. After my bond, it was no longer an option to leave the CS as well it would be very challenging to adapt to new environment and culture of the private sector.

Two big factors on why I chose to stay in the CS:

1. Job nature. I was involved in challenging and exciting projects early in my career with good colleagues. Have ample opportunities for official overseas trips and training courses. Even now, the CS (at least in the organisation I work in) has always maintained a progressive culture encouraging staff to upgrade continuously.

2. Job stability and benefits. Making up for the relatively lower pay, the CS provides a good level of job security and stability. The benefits are not that inferior to those of MNCs.

Over a lifetime in CS, we can build up a comfortable retirement nest egg - less the worry of retrenchment.
Old 18-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was recruited to join the CS even before I graduated. Although I was not a scholar, I eventually earned a scholarship to further my studies and in the process was bonded for 5 years upon obtaining my Masters at an overseas Uni in the US. After my bond, it was no longer an option to leave the CS as well it would be very challenging to adapt to new environment and culture of the private sector.

Two big factors on why I chose to stay in the CS:

1. Job nature. I was involved in challenging and exciting projects early in my career with good colleagues. Have ample opportunities for official overseas trips and training courses. Even now, the CS (at least in the organisation I work in) has always maintained a progressive culture encouraging staff to upgrade continuously.

2. Job stability and benefits. Making up for the relatively lower pay, the CS provides a good level of job security and stability. The benefits are not that inferior to those of MNCs.

Over a lifetime in CS, we can build up a comfortable retirement nest egg - less the worry of retrenchment.
It is good to hear that you had a scholarship. There is no strong reason for you to leave CS.

I don't think CS is alot worse off in benefits and pay when we are comparing private sector jobs in general. Private sector pay is dependent alot on the company, nature of role and industry.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Lim Pei

Default Just got offered

Just got offered 3.6k at a stat board, currently a fresh grad from NUS with pass degree only.

Okay or not?

Any tips on how to nego?

Old 18-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Lim Pei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim Pei View Post
Just got offered 3.6k at a stat board, currently a fresh grad from NUS with pass degree only.

Okay or not?

Any tips on how to nego?
It is a end user support role btw.
Old 18-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim Pei View Post
It is a end user support role btw.
I think that's quite a fair amount given your pass degree since honors do matter in CS. For benchmarks, the starting salaries for economic agencies are 3.8k (based on my experience a few years back so things may have changed) and they typically hire 2nd upper/FCH.
Old 18-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, can I ask what does "prorated merit increment" mean?
For e.g. If I join in Feb 2019, I'll be entitled to confirmation increment in Feb 2020. Come Apr 2020, I'll be given "prorated merit increment". May I know how is the proration computed?

Let's say I get $200 confirmation increment out of $4.5k, roughly how much would the prorated merit increment be?
Old 18-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, can I ask what does "prorated merit increment" mean?
For e.g. If I join in Feb 2019, I'll be entitled to confirmation increment in Feb 2020. Come Apr 2020, I'll be given "prorated merit increment". May I know how is the proration computed?

Let's say I get $200 confirmation increment out of $4.5k, roughly how much would the prorated merit increment be?
Is it $200/12 months x 1 month (feb to mar)
So in apr you will get $16.67 merit increment

Anyone can confirm?