Compare civil service salary - Page 712 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 26-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Default Advice (fresh grad)

Hi all, I received a job offer from wsg and if anyone has similar experiences I would love to hear your thoughts. The offer is 3k. But I'm a pass degree + degree not relevant so in this case I think the pay is not THAT low. So I didn't think too much abt gov vs pte job prospects when job hunting because obviously I know the good stat boards / ministries won't hire me lol. Now that I have to respond to the offer, I would like to know what the prospects are if I enter, in my case, with a low degree? Does wsg even have bonuses? And would I be stuck at the bottom forever because of my grades? Let's say I were to leave after the 1 year is up, would it be a good first job on my resume? Or should i continue to look for jobs (1.5 months into job hunt with 1 previous offer 2.8k)?

Another thing was that the job posting zoomed in very specifically on a certain jobscope so I went for the interview and talked all abt my relevant experience, but they then told me the job actually largely includes lots of other things (that were totally not even hinted at in the posting). I was wondering whether this should be some sort of yellow flag?

Thanks.

Old 26-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
oh when's yr interview? means yr interview n writing test is tgt on the same day which is better i guess, no need travel twice

wat position did u apply?
My interview is in the upcoming week. I applied something related to HR.
Is there only one interview? Did you manage to get the job?

Old 26-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Unregistered

Default Working @ MOF

Hi,

Anyone working in MOF as an associate or senior associate?

Can share with me some insights on what do you do on a day-to-day basis? How is the working culture like?

TiA 😊

Old 27-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, I received a job offer from wsg and if anyone has similar experiences I would love to hear your thoughts. The offer is 3k. But I'm a pass degree + degree not relevant so in this case I think the pay is not THAT low. So I didn't think too much abt gov vs pte job prospects when job hunting because obviously I know the good stat boards / ministries won't hire me lol. Now that I have to respond to the offer, I would like to know what the prospects are if I enter, in my case, with a low degree? Does wsg even have bonuses? And would I be stuck at the bottom forever because of my grades? Let's say I were to leave after the 1 year is up, would it be a good first job on my resume? Or should i continue to look for jobs (1.5 months into job hunt with 1 previous offer 2.8k)?

Another thing was that the job posting zoomed in very specifically on a certain jobscope so I went for the interview and talked all abt my relevant experience, but they then told me the job actually largely includes lots of other things (that were totally not even hinted at in the posting). I was wondering whether this should be some sort of yellow flag?

Thanks.
3k is pretty decent for a starting fresh grad. As you know, most jobs only offer 2.8k. As it is the employers market now (especially with the recent IBM layoff), most employers wanna depress the salary of fresh grads.
Old 27-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks.
When you said pass degree, I presume your degree is from one of our local Unis? Did they offer you a position at Grade 4?

They do give standard bonuses which are similar to the civil service. It’s a good stepping stone even if you don’t intend to stay long term. To move to another role within public sector, employees prefer to see that you’ve stayed in previous role for at least two years.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Verified Member

Wisely is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks.
Is the 2.8k offer private or public? I think a pass degree does affect your future at public or civil sector. And also mentioning the specific job scope where a lot of times might not be useful when you want to switch to private sector. However, public sector offers better job security and more consistent progression than private. Private sector gives you the chance to be more successful if you have the right attitude

Old 27-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks.
hi bro

I work in the civil service and my role requires me to collab with wsg regularly. however, i can tell u that both my colleagues n me have negative impression of them. First, their working speed is slow (applies to not just 1 department or person but a few). Second, they like to claim credit in the media (folks elsewhere also voiced same thoughts) when work isn't done by them. Third, they like to taichi a lot n push things to ssg who pushes things back. Fourth, they like coming up with impractical ideas and will ask questions over the simplest things
Old 27-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks.
hi bro, i am from another agency n work with wsg regularly, here are my thoughts

First, they are quite slow, take very long to get things done (doesn't apply to only 1 person or dept). Second, they like to claim credit in the media when work is done by others (folks elsewhere also voiced similar thoughts). Third, they like to taichi and push things to ssg who pushes it back to them. Fourth and the one I dislike the most, they request for your help but are reluctant when u ask them for help.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post
Is the 2.8k offer private or public? I think a pass degree does affect your future at public or civil sector. And also mentioning the specific job scope where a lot of times might not be useful when you want to switch to private sector. However, public sector offers better job security and more consistent progression than private. Private sector gives you the chance to be more successful if you have the right attitude
The 2.8k was from an NPO but I turned it down because I had only started jobhunting 2 weeks in so I decided to keep looking. I mentioned it as i thought it could serve as a reference for the type of offers I can expect to get. I actually don't want to work in govt sect for my longterm career, i'm just thinking whether I should accept this because "got job just do first" or would it actually hinder/benefit me when I'm looking for a pte job after this is up (it's an 11 mth contract)? It's not a very specialized job (though advertised as such), I got the distinct feeling that they just need more manpower for their events and campaigns.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 28-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My interview is in the upcoming week. I applied something related to HR.
Is there only one interview? Did you manage to get the job?
yes i got it, only 1 round probably cos i interviewed with the director