Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-04-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96530)
my increment this year is less than 300 dollars. mx12 c+ grade. feel extremely shortchanged.

Let me get this straight - With C+ average performer, you are getting ~8% increase and you think this is 'shortchanged'. If you are in pte sector you might not even get anything.

Civil servants are so entitlement mentality these days...

Unregistered 10-04-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96535)
Let me get this straight - With C+ average performer, you are getting ~8% increase and you think this is 'shortchanged'. If you are in pte sector you might not even get anything.

Civil servants are so entitlement mentality these days...

True that...

Unregistered 10-04-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96478)
lol LTA just say LTA la. LTA accepts the most chapalang people...

Lta long hours?? Or ok hours

Unregistered 10-04-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96539)
Lta long hours?? Or ok hours

depends on dept la...

Unregistered 11-04-2017 07:52 PM

No merit increment this year

I had a PB grade of C this year but didn't get a MI in my April salary. My HRD said that I had reached my salary bar so therefore there was no increase. When I checked Pac@Gov it shows that I have hit Bar 1 of the salary scale (altogether there are five bars).

How can one cross this salary bar? I can understand if there's no increment if I have hit my salary ceiling, but this will only happen when I hit Bar 5, not in Bar 1. Can anyone explain?

Unregistered 13-04-2017 01:35 PM

Whether you wanna join CS depends on many factors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzi (Post 96460)
guys i need advice. having big headache and struggling for the past few days.

current in the pte sector, got offered into public sector. but the offer is a big pay cut of 800+. i am not a scholar, holding a pte degree with 2nd lower honours.

i understand there will be increment but what is the average increment? i think it might take 4 years just to match back to current (assuming yearly increment). Also given that i am a non-scholar, i am uncertain about promotion and etc. please advise TIA

I have been in workforce for 20 years now. My first job was with a stat board because it was 1997 and there was a financial crisis. The culture of CS then was very backward... I wasn't a govt scholar and didn't get outstanding results (2nd upper from biz, NTU). But I clearly wasn't stupid or poor performing. Several ideas I put forward just hit a wall because it wasn't their time yet.

I moved on to Pte Sector 2.5 years later and has never gone back to govt service. I have never looked back and said "those stat board days were so good..." I am currently a director with an American firm, and have a global role... I will say that I make more than enough and still enjoy a good work life balance.

Whether you join govt service depends on a number of factors (oh by the way, I lecture part-time too in one of our unis on career mgt):
- If money is a big motivator, and you're not a scholar, there are better options in Pte Sector
- If you enjoy autonomy, like to have your finger-prints on projects/environment, and being valued for your own ideas ... again Pte Sector is preferred
- If you want to make an ok living and have job stability, nothing can beat govt service (the govt has an obligation to provide jobs for those who are not high performing or cannot make it to the demands of pte sector)
- If you prefer a career that's fast track and you're not a scholar, forget about Govt Service

Of course, whatever I said above also depends on which govt body one joins.

Hope the above helps.

Unregistered 13-04-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96632)
I have been in workforce for 20 years now. My first job was with a stat board because it was 1997 and there was a financial crisis. The culture of CS then was very backward... I wasn't a govt scholar and didn't get outstanding results (2nd upper from biz, NTU). But I clearly wasn't stupid or poor performing. Several ideas I put forward just hit a wall because it wasn't their time yet.

I moved on to Pte Sector 2.5 years later and has never gone back to govt service. I have never looked back and said "those stat board days were so good..." I am currently a director with an American firm, and have a global role... I will say that I make more than enough and still enjoy a good work life balance.

Whether you join govt service depends on a number of factors (oh by the way, I lecture part-time too in one of our unis on career mgt):
- If money is a big motivator, and you're not a scholar, there are better options in Pte Sector
- If you enjoy autonomy, like to have your finger-prints on projects/environment, and being valued for your own ideas ... again Pte Sector is preferred
- If you want to make an ok living and have job stability, nothing can beat govt service (the govt has an obligation to provide jobs for those who are not high performing or cannot make it to the demands of pte sector)
- If you prefer a career that's fast track and you're not a scholar, forget about Govt Service

Of course, whatever I said above also depends on which govt body one joins.

Hope the above helps.

Sorry, one more thing to add, $800+ pay cut is too big a sacrifice to move out of pte sector (normally, one would make that sacrifice when jumping from public to private sector). Unless this is GIC (which doesn't sound like it cos GIC would be able to match your current pay)... don't jump ship unless you REALLY REALLY like the job.

Unregistered 13-04-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzi (Post 96460)
guys i need advice. having big headache and struggling for the past few days.

current in the pte sector, got offered into public sector. but the offer is a big pay cut of 800+. i am not a scholar, holding a pte degree with 2nd lower honours.

i understand there will be increment but what is the average increment? i think it might take 4 years just to match back to current (assuming yearly increment). Also given that i am a non-scholar, i am uncertain about promotion and etc. please advise TIA

don't just compare monthly salary. compare the annual package. which grade are you offered? generally it's 12 + 1++ month year end bonus + 0.25 to 0.5 July mid year bonus + performance bonus. The months of the 2nd and 3rd bonuses are all published in MSM. PB is supposed to be confidential but you can check the PB thread.

what's the reason for your move? you like the new job? push factor?

Unregistered 14-04-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96530)
my increment this year is less than 300 dollars. mx12 c+ grade. feel extremely shortchanged.

Same here, MX12 with C+ grade but Increment this year is lesser than when I got C grade last year. Not even a 5% increase. Is that normal?

Unregistered 15-04-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96506)
Can those in the CS advise whether the ceiling for mx11 and mx11a, is still 7119 and 8555? I left ministry to join a stat board last year, and plan to apply back to ministry. Thanks!

yes it is still 7119 for mx11 and 8555 for mx11a.

got promoted from mx11 to mx11a this year. was shocked to see the mx11 and mx11a grades overlap so much!

can anyone in CS advise what is the range for mx 10, and where the bar is?