Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 16-02-2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79921)
Hello,

I don't think you will get a paycut, perhaps even a pay rise if you join some statutory boards as engineers (i.e. DSTA). If you enjoy engineering / operational work, just focus on roles in statutory boards. They offer roles that are align more to your interests and skillsets. Ministries' work are more administrative and writing-centric (i.e. policy proposals) in nature, which might not sit well with you.

Then again, hours may not be as cushy as it used to be during our parents' time (i.e. 80s) since the advent of emails and VPN connection offsite. However, I believe the benefits will come in handy for you, given the abundance of leaves i.e. childcare leave and some unrecorded leave, that will allow you to spend more time with your new born.

All the best in your endeavours in searching for a new role in the civil service or public sector. Jia You!

Thanks for the feedback! As my previous job is probably more on manufacturing engineering, I am not so sure if this will be relevant to the engineering which statutory boards have to offer. In the scenario if the engineering experiences which I have are not relevant, I am just thinking if the statutory board will take my working experiences into account and provide me with a salary which is more than fresh grad.

Agreed on the fact that hours are not as cushy now. It should still be a safe bet as compared to my current IT job which requires me to work late into night and come back on some of the weekends (60-70 hour per week) No way I can take good care of my new born in such situation.

Really appreciate your reply. Thanks!

Unregistered 19-02-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79862)
Hi, I graduate from local university with a second upper honours in 2013. Worked as a manufacturing engineer for 2 years and then changed to an IT job which I am still currently working in. Thinking of changing to a civil service/public service job recently as I am seeking more balance in my career as I have a new born coming my way and the current job has horrendous working hours which will be a great challenge for me in taking care of my new born. I am currently drawing 4k at the moment and will like to know if I will have to take a pay cut if I changed to government sector. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Civil service u enter sure cross 4K Mark. 2nd upper, together with good performance, can rise up to management positions easily.

Unregistered 21-02-2016 08:09 AM

Civil service seems good. Two of my cousins have joined Civil service after working several years in private sector. Before University became autonomous(i.e. Civil service) increment is like automatic. Some times with double increment. Is this still the case in civil service?

Unregistered 21-02-2016 09:11 AM

Would you rather hear from the "horses' mouths" i.e. your cousins who are now working in CS or from some anonymous forums here?

Makes me wonder....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80128)
Civil service seems good. Two of my cousins have joined Civil service after working several years in private sector. Before University became autonomous(i.e. Civil service) increment is like automatic. Some times with double increment. Is this still the case in civil service?

Unregistered 21-02-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80129)
Would you rather hear from the "horses' mouths" i.e. your cousins who are now working in CS or from some anonymous forums here?

Makes me wonder....

Not the poster. But I rather hear from multiple sources. Jus bcos they r cousins dosnt mean they must always be truthful.

Unregistered 23-02-2016 12:41 PM

Dont join cs unless you are cut out for it, its really not for the average performer wanting to make good there. Esp. when academic grades are key to getting you inside, you either must have what it takes to make it or work harder than your more academically-inclined colleagues. Or, be happy being the average.

Unregistered 02-03-2016 06:57 PM

Hi all,
Im bout to finish my undergrad n is lookin for jobs.
What is the pay range for a fresh grad w no wrk exp in civil service?
Thxs

mhakkinen 02-03-2016 10:53 PM

Got a quick question here. I joined my ministry in Feb 2015 on a 2-year contract. I understand you don't get any merit increments in your 1st year. I am not emplaced yet (my ministry typically emplace people around 18th month mark).

I would like to know if this means 1. will I get any PB this year (pro-rated from Feb to Dec 2015) and 2. merit increment in April 2016?

Unregistered 03-03-2016 12:10 AM

Private to Public/CS

Hi All.

Im currently working in the Private sector. 9 yrs experience. Current gross is 4.3 k. Annual 60k.

NUS. Basic Degree. No Hons :)

Question is if i move to Public / CS, will they match my pay ? Or can i ask for more, say about 5.5 k ?

As i know, Public / CS pay for Asst Manager is about 15 mth pay is a norm = 82.5 k.

Should i lower down to 5 k ? to get about 75 k Annual ?

Thanks in advance :)

Unregistered 03-03-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhakkinen (Post 80731)
Got a quick question here. I joined my ministry in Feb 2015 on a 2-year contract. I understand you don't get any merit increments in your 1st year. I am not emplaced yet (my ministry typically emplace people around 18th month mark).

I would like to know if this means 1. will I get any PB this year (pro-rated from Feb to Dec 2015) and 2. merit increment in April 2016?

You should get your pro-rated bonuses and increment like you said.