Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 29-10-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74329)
Thanks for your replies.

That's quite disheartening to know, especially since I graduated with a second upper bachelor and was hoping my masters will bump my salary to first class. Looks like second upper with masters < first class :(

Oh well.....

Well to be honest, even if you have PhD, most public agencies would not pay you more because of that. Unless it is directly related to what they are doing, and that your role is a technical one which requires expert knowledge. Even then, a PhD entry salary would probably be around the same range of a fresh grad working for 2 - 3 years.

So overall, higher education are of not much use in public sector, unless you are being offered scholarship by them to pursue it.

Unregistered 29-10-2015 10:24 PM

Hello everyone! I am looking to join the civil service, and I wondering what salary I will be looking at. NUS 2nd upper, No NS. There is no grounds for salary nego for CS right?

Thanks in advance! :)

Unregistered 29-10-2015 10:58 PM

Would anyone consider 'downgrading' from MX11 to MX12 when switching agencies?

Unregistered (bryan) 01-11-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74194)
I joined in Mar 2014 and is receiving about $4870 now. 1st Class, male in NS.

Got a bit lucky, was able to get the wage adjustment and promoted with a B grading in the first year. Got a confirmation increment also.

Wow! Which stat board or ministry u in? What position?

Unregistered 01-11-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (bryan) (Post 74479)
Wow! Which stat board or ministry u in? What position?

gong jiawei onli u believe? u need atleast 2 letter grades to be considered for promotion.

Unregistered (bryan) 01-11-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74482)
gong jiawei onli u believe? u need atleast 2 letter grades to be considered for promotion.

I think his promotion is emplacement la. That comes w a pay rise. Maybe he doesnt know the difference.

Unregistered 01-11-2015 10:23 PM

Hi, I am an mx12. Got an A grade in 2014 Mar. Got B grade for 2012 and 2013.

Am I eligible promotion in Mar 2016?

Spoken to some SAD in the ministry that usually for those officer without sufficient years of service but is good performer they will give an A so that next year they can get promoted. Is this true?

Currently thinking about going somewhere else but would like to stay on abit more to see how it goes for the promotion. Any advise ? Thanks

Unregistered 01-11-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74503)
Hi, I am an mx12. Got an A grade in 2014 Mar. Got B grade for 2012 and 2013.

Am I eligible promotion in Mar 2016?

Spoken to some SAD in the ministry that usually for those officer without sufficient years of service but is good performer they will give an A so that next year they can get promoted. Is this true?

Currently thinking about going somewhere else but would like to stay on abit more to see how it goes for the promotion. Any advise ? Thanks

when did you join the civil service? 2010 or 2011?

I think you are likely to get promoted in 2016.

Unregistered 02-11-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6163)
Being retrenched from civil service is unheard of. Being removed is possible, but that is if the guy did something really terrible, otherwise civil service is a rather... civil employer, definitely more civil than many companies in the private sector.

Well, I was effectively fired from the civil service (HR suggested that I resign as firing a confirmed officer requires a lot of procedures and will drag on longer than if I resign) when I was 27 for "performance issue" though I suspect it's because I have a different policy point than my Director and initially refused to change my Paper to suit her view. Anyway, below is my pay. Btw, my difference in policy point is that need to not blindly "recover costs" and should give benefits/subsidies where needed. Guess I was ahead by 5 years. If not, my point may be viewed different. Not all who are forced to leave are incompetent....anyway, below is my pay over the years.

24 yo with 2nd upper honors
Initial pay: 3000
Beginning 2nd year: 3300
Beginning 3rd year: 4300 (there was salary adjustment due to good economy)
Fired
Beginning 4th year: 4300 (joined a company desperate for manpower so they did not do background checks)
5th - 6th year: Studied Masters
Beginning 7th year: 3500 (Due to black record and failing a few background checks, could not get a "good" job. Work for SME on overseas posting at 3500+housing package)
Beginning 8th year: 3950 + housing
Beginning 9th year: 5000 + housing
Beginning 10th year: 6000 + housing
Mid 10th year: 8500 + overseas allowances
Mid 11th year: 13000 + housing (also overseas)

Unregistered 02-11-2015 01:01 AM

To clarify, "mid 10th year" and "mid 11th year" because I jumped ships on those occasions.

My main paragraph is not well written because typing on hp so not easy to review the wordings typed.