Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 24-01-2011 08:20 PM

Hi,

Can Bobo or anyone pls suggest how much should I be expecting if I join DSTA with 3.5 yrs of experience as a engineer in GLC (local MNC)?

I got 2nd lower honours(NTU). My current annual pay is abt $55000

Thanks.

bobo 24-01-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9104)
Hi,

Can Bobo or anyone pls suggest how much should i be expecting as a graduate with 3 yrs of experience as a financial analyst? Is S$42K per annum reasonable? My friend is telling me that i can earn more than this amt if i work in a govt dept, is this true?

Thanks.

You should be making more. Join a bank.

Unregistered 26-01-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatos (Post 9055)
Here's my situation.

I graduated with a 2nd upper honors in 2003, and joined a ministry. Started at MX13, drew $3000.

Quit in January 2006, drawing $3320.

Joined a university, got $3600 but they don't have any 13th month bonus so it was actually a bit lower than what I got earlier.

Quit after 8 months,, joined a stat board in september 2006 as MX12. Starting pay there was $3300.

I've been there almost 4.5 years and I'm still MX12, drawing $4600. Have I been left behind? A lot of my peers who stayed at the ministry, or even those who left but joined another stat board, got promoted to MX11 2-3 years ago, and I'm not even getting a promotion this year either.

Don't think my performance is bad because every year I get a 2.5 month performance bonus (according to their hr letter 1.5 months is standard for good performance), but they just don't want to shift me up to MX11, and I'll be hitting the MX12 cap in about 2 years.

I am 34 by the way, so is $4600 high or low?

$4,600 is not high, but OK. Your pay advanced by $1300 after 4 years, which I think is very good, and suggests that you are an above average performer. I am quite surprised that they have not promoted you. You may want to speak to your boss to find out why?

Meatos 26-01-2011 03:07 PM

Maybe it's the nature of my job. I supervise grasscutting, so it is easy to see good performance, but hard (very hard) to gauge my estimated potential, since the work is a no brainer. Anyway I'll be quitting soon since I've totally wasted 5 years here with no increase in grade in sight. I was under the impression that if you get a 2-3 month performance bonus 3 years in a row they should already be moving you up a grade, but it's not happening here.

Does anyone know the HR criteria for appointment directly into a MX11 grade upon joining? Before I joined I was already MX12 elsewhere, so I'm wondering whether I will still be MX12 if I quit and join another stat board some years later (after going through some annual increments elsewhere first)

Unregistered 26-01-2011 04:43 PM

Compare civic servant salay

Hi, I'm a diploma holder with 1.5years working experience and currently at the crossroads of joining a reputable private school, with an ideal course for 2-3 years or entering local university (SMU) with any course I can get it for 4 years.

My results are not awesome, but not lousy to the extent I can't enter Local U, thats the thing:- GPA 3.4

Question 1: Do Pte/Mnc/Govt companies look at which school you graduated from or do they simply look at the relevant degree you're in?

Question 2: Is there a huge difference in the salary commanded progressively if I were to enter a private university?

Question 3: Do companies favour undergrads from local universities and if they dont,
do they favour undergrads coming from any specific universities too?

Hope you all could help as I am really desperate for an answer from the society and reality. Would appreciate honesty and transparency to help an inexperienced girl here. Do not want to go through unnecessary detours ):

Tks so much for answering!

bobo 26-01-2011 06:07 PM

Okay I know the answers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9132)
Hi, I'm a diploma holder with 1.5years working experience and currently at the crossroads of joining a reputable private school, with an ideal course for 2-3 years or entering local university (SMU) with any course I can get it for 4 years.

My results are not awesome, but not lousy to the extent I can't enter Local U, thats the thing:- GPA 3.4?

The longer you spend at uni, the better. Do the 4 yr course and in total you only did an extra yr at poly, but you can use that to your advantage when you apply for a job. There are no shortcuts.

Quote:

Question 1: Do Pte/Mnc/Govt companies look at which school you graduated from or do they simply look at the relevant degree you're in?
They look at the school first, relevant degree second. You have a relevant degree from timbatu uni, no point. But if you're from a gd uni, degree not so relevant, still possible.

Quote:

Question 2: Is there a huge difference in the salary commanded progressively if I were to enter a private university?
Assuming you are actually considered and this is a big assumption. Hell yes. Huge. Massive. Unless you're doing ACCA.

Quote:

Question 3: Do companies favour undergrads from local universities and if they dont, do they favour undergrads coming from any specific universities too?
Any good university. Slight edge towards top overseas universities.

Quote:

Hope you all could help as I am really desperate for an answer from the society and reality. Would appreciate honesty and transparency to help an inexperienced girl here. Do not want to go through unnecessary detours ):

Tks so much for answering!
If you qualified for a local uni, do not do yourself a disservice by going to a private school. Again, this is for jobs where qualifications do matter. If you want to be a financial consultant then it doesn't matter, it's about sales and they'll take anybody.

bobo 26-01-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9105)
Hi,

Can Bobo or anyone pls suggest how much should I be expecting if I join DSTA with 3.5 yrs of experience as a engineer in GLC (local MNC)?

I got 2nd lower honours(NTU). My current annual pay is abt $55000

Thanks.

Sorry I missed this, you pay seems about right but I'm not so farmiliar with your line. I think some other ppl here may know about DSTA. It's a small organisation though...that would be my concern. You would be moving down from an MNC.

Unregistered 27-01-2011 12:52 AM

hi bobo need your advise

hello bobo,

i need your advise.

i'm a 28 yo male completed ns, ntu 2nd lower business deg

I'm looking to join to join the MOM.

1. is it easy to get in?
2. will i be learning valuable skills in there
3. what king od salary would i be expecting? 3k starting?
4. i have been teaching and developing cirriculum in private education centres all these while does this constitute a form of experience? I would think not.

lastly, i'm looking for work which are of regular hours and 5 days work. my current job is 6 days and i'm heavily overworked.

i look forward to your advise

Unregistered 27-01-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9133)
Okay I know the answers.

The longer you spend at uni, the better. Do the 4 yr course and in total you only did an extra yr at poly, but you can use that to your advantage when you apply for a job. There are no shortcuts.

They look at the school first, relevant degree second. You have a relevant degree from timbatu uni, no point. But if you're from a gd uni, degree not so relevant, still possible.

Assuming you are actually considered and this is a big assumption. Hell yes. Huge. Massive. Unless you're doing ACCA.

Any good university. Slight edge towards top overseas universities.

If you qualified for a local uni, do not do yourself a disservice by going to a private school. Again, this is for jobs where qualifications do matter. If you want to be a financial consultant then it doesn't matter, it's about sales and they'll take anybody.

hello bobo,

i need your advise.

1. is it easy to get in?
4. i have been teaching and developing cirriculum in private education centres all these while does this constitute a form of experience? I would think not.

lastly, i'm looking for work which are of regular hours and 5 days work. my current job is 6 days and i'm heavily overworked.

Also, i check with my fren and he told me that there is no retirement age as long as you are in the civil service (non-unifiromed) is that true?

i look forward to your advise thank you!

bobo 27-01-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9137)
hello bobo,

i need your advise.

1. is it easy to get in?

Also, i check with my fren and he told me that there is no retirement age as long as you are in the civil service (non-unifiromed) is that true?

i look forward to your advise thank you!

1. Compared to? Ministries do have some standards but MOM is not the most difficult.
2. No. You learn to approve/reject work permit and employment pass. What you'll try to sell to a private company in the future is that you have HR experience and know the govt policy. But everyone hates HR, and people whose careers are dead go there and die.
3. Wah...why you got 2nd lower? So wasted. You seem a bit old for your 1st job. Got experience? If not, anything above 2.6k would be ok.
4. If it was full-time, it counts. But you must cook up a story to how the experience is relevant. Developing lessons = handling projects. Teaching = dealing with people and meeting their needs. Phrase it correctly but don't say teaching so direct...turnoff.

-5 day week, very regular hours. Very go home on time.
-There is a retirement age but MM suggest no need to retire so...anyway, I don't think you want to worry about this. Unless you are really going to stick with MOM for the next 30 yrs.