Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 31-07-2015 01:42 PM

Joining the CS is not for everyone.

Got to have a very high tolerance for red tape, write, re-write and re-re-rewrite papers and ideas, buying in many stakeholders and many layers of management, exhibit Yes Sir and respectful behaviour while not being seen as lacking in imagination and individual thinking. Manage spanners-throwing and be extremely patient to see the project or policy thru to implementation - often takes years. And have angelic behaviour in all aspects of personal life - don't let go on Facebook and Twitter.

Unregistered 31-07-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70820)
I am the 7.7K person - and I work around 60h a week. Mostly paper writing, clearing papers, meetings, presentations, convincing many stakeholders and management, as well as large scale project management ... I started off at 2.6K. Salary tripled in ten years. Not easy to join as we take only those with good honours, pay is relatively good but do we work for it and expectations are high

We have the same profile... I am 34m and have been working for 10 years too. I started at 2.8k but am only at around 110k per year now. I have been working in GLCs all this time, barring about 3 years when I was with a Fortune 100 MNC.

You don't need any more "industry benchmarking" salary adjustments as you are more than well remunerated and will struggle to find a job in the pte sector that at least matches your salary.

Good luck.

gate88 02-08-2015 08:26 PM

Just to check if I start work in mid august in a stat board woth contract(since most started with contract then change to perm), will I get salary increment dyring the first year? Since everything is the same as perm staff

Unregistered 08-08-2015 02:30 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement below.

That being said, there are also the positive aspects of being in the CS. The career is as stable as it can be. And as long as one does not commit a serious wrong and offend the bosses, u can continue progressing with the masses, till the glass ceiling is hit. Not bad, I would say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70832)
Joining the CS is not for everyone.

Got to have a very high tolerance for red tape, write, re-write and re-re-rewrite papers and ideas, buying in many stakeholders and many layers of management, exhibit Yes Sir and respectful behaviour while not being seen as lacking in imagination and individual thinking. Manage spanners-throwing and be extremely patient to see the project or policy thru to implementation - often takes years. And have angelic behaviour in all aspects of personal life - don't let go on Facebook and Twitter.

Unregistered 08-08-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70589)
Hi guys.. for an applicant with a second lower Hons. applying for a stat board entry level/assistant manager position, what would be an ideal monthly salary range and annual salary (if im not wrong, this includes components such as 13th month bonus, etc.) such that its not too far off what the HR is willing to offer? Thanks in advance! @@

I i would want to know too. Does NLB pay well too?

Unregistered 10-08-2015 06:09 PM

Hello everyone ! Could some kind souls kindly advice me on the following? Do not wanna alert the HR yet.

If I were to leave my current Ministry in Oct 15, would I in general be entitled to pro-rated 13th month AWS and PB?

There is usually a end-year bonus of about 0.8 months in concern, would I receive it at the new Ministry/Statboard?

Unregistered 10-08-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71284)
Hello everyone ! Could some kind souls kindly advice me on the following? Do not wanna alert the HR yet.

If I were to leave my current Ministry in Oct 15, would I in general be entitled to pro-rated 13th month AWS and PB?

There is usually a end-year bonus of about 0.8 months in concern, would I receive it at the new Ministry/Statboard?

You can only get it if it's a transfer of service. You won't be able to get it if you resign.

Unregistered 10-08-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71293)
You can only get it if it's a transfer of service. You won't be able to get it if you resign.

With regards to transfer of service, will my rank remain the same when I am transferred to a new ministry, or will it change as though I am applying for a new job?

Unregistered 10-08-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71293)

Bro care to share a bit more? Do you mean I would still get my AWS/End Year Bonus/PB if it's a transfer from one Ministry to another? A new HR policy?

Just wondering, I heard it's also no longer able to ask for increment if you are moving from Ministry to Ministry?

Thanks lots in advance hoh !

Unregistered 10-08-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71284)

I can confirm you would not be able to get your bonus. Forms of bonuses are in place as a form of retention incentives. Terminating your contract, whether by you or your employer, is as good as forgoing those monetary incentives.

It is highly unlikely that you can receive them at your new workplace as those bonuses promised to you are budgeted by your current Ministry/Statboard.

By the way, are on a transfer? Do take note that normally staff on the transfer scheme will be demoted one grade from their current rank with a slightly decreased salary as well.