Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 22-07-2015 01:31 PM

Anyone working in*MOH (policy)? How's the working environment like? Is it very long hours n demanding? Political?
Which MX level is AD there, and what's the salary range? Do they have SAD in between before DD? Thanks

Unregistered 22-07-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70371)
My conclusion then is that civil servants are overpaid.

Agreed. I have no problems with civil servants earning high salaries, but what irks me most is many of them constantly moaning how they are underpaid or that their careers will stagnate at a certain DD level etc. What profit-oriented pte company will give "salary adjustments" to benchmark to industry every few years? Most of us in the pte sector can be content with a 3% pa increment even if our company is raking in hundreds of millions in bottom line..... but not hitting budget numbers.

What makes civil servants think that with their irrelevant skillset can be transferred into top management positions (ie HOD or C-level earning $200k pa and above) in the pte sector? Don't they know that most of these positions in MNCs are taken up by FTs that they don't have to contend with in the CS? It's a hard truth that MNCs prefer nationals of their own HQ origins to take up top positions in their regional HQs and offices.... after that we still have to contend with the lesser FTs like Indians and Pinoys, who you may realise after some time that may or may not be more than bags of hot air.

These generals parachuting into GLCs are deluding their judgement....

Unregistered 23-07-2015 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70386)
Agreed. I have no problems with civil servants earning high salaries, but what irks me most is many of them constantly moaning how they are underpaid or that their careers will stagnate at a certain DD level etc. What profit-oriented pte company will give "salary adjustments" to benchmark to industry every few years? Most of us in the pte sector can be content with a 3% pa increment even if our company is raking in hundreds of millions in bottom line..... but not hitting budget numbers.

What makes civil servants think that with their irrelevant skillset can be transferred into top management positions (ie HOD or C-level earning $200k pa and above) in the pte sector? Don't they know that most of these positions in MNCs are taken up by FTs that they don't have to contend with in the CS? It's a hard truth that MNCs prefer nationals of their own HQ origins to take up top positions in their regional HQs and offices.... after that we still have to contend with the lesser FTs like Indians and Pinoys, who you may realise after some time that may or may not be more than bags of hot air.

These generals parachuting into GLCs are deluding their judgement....

A quick search in Linkedin does show otherwise though and surprise! There are exceptions. A number of long serving CS/PS joined eg. foreign banks in very senior roles and I doubt these private large companies are that dense in not knowing what CS/PS entails...

Generalisation is easy but most forget or do not realise that CS/PS does not automatically translate into irrelevance. A low morale demotivated or lousy employee in a large private company with no desire to move out of his/her comfort zone and not learning anything/very limited or specific job scope is equally irrelevant, even for CS/PS. Bottomline - it is up to oneself to make the best of your career, wherever you are.

Unregistered 23-07-2015 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70371)
My conclusion then is that civil servants are overpaid.

Its strange - why are there not more people applying to CS if thats the perception?
Doesn't make monetary sense to sux in the underpaid (by comparison) job in private sector.

Unregistered 23-07-2015 08:31 AM

I would ask for others not to assume that a civil svc job involves long lunches, many pantry and kopi breaks etc. i am in a policy role and work 930 to 830pm five days a week. Urgent work still needs to be tended to over the weekends. There is also the usual red tape, pushing around of work and decisions by other divs, turf guarding, bosses taking out their frustrations on you etc. Take it as justifications for the salary.

Unregistered 23-07-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70412)
Its strange - why are there not more people applying to CS if thats the perception?
Doesn't make monetary sense to sux in the underpaid (by comparison) job in private sector.

I'm sure most rank and file in the pte sector would jump at joining the CS, but high flyers would probably not. However many civil servants here seem to think that their AD/SAD/DD jobs sucks and they can jump right into a high paying pte sector job easily. While it may be possible like you said but the stark reality out there is different..

Unregistered 23-07-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70417)
I would ask for others not to assume that a civil svc job involves long lunches, many pantry and kopi breaks etc. i am in a policy role and work 930 to 830pm five days a week. Urgent work still needs to be tended to over the weekends. There is also the usual red tape, pushing around of work and decisions by other divs, turf guarding, bosses taking out their frustrations on you etc. Take it as justifications for the salary.

No doubt, I have no qualms about civil servants earning how much they do. Some are deserving and some are not, much like the pte sector.

Reality check:
Some guy here mentioned that as a "run of the mill uni grad with decent honors and part of the CS rank and file" he earned $120k at 32 years old.. almost unheard of in the pte sector!(disclaimer: excludes IB, consultancy, professionals like lawyers, doctors, etc)

Unregistered 23-07-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70417)

This is really true, my friends working in stat board also have to do OT and have to come back on weekend to do work as well. Also since many people think civil servant are overpaid, why not join the public sector? Could be because many sour grapes here since they got reject by the public sector.

Certainly, many people may say that aiya those go public sector starting pay high nia, after that those in pvt sector can easily triumph over them. Yes, it is true for some, and that is very very little. most, I mean more than 70% of the people are earning less than even with rich experience under their belt.

So is up to you guys to carry on this argument about which one is good and etc. Because it wont affect anyone's salary even you with this keyboard warrior war hahahaha

Unregistered 23-07-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70412)

Many sour grapes who couldn't get in and hence get jealous.

High flyers perform well anywhere, be it private or public sector. Low performers perform poorly anywhere, be it private or public sector. However public sector is slightly more tolerant of poor performers, like the guy earning 6k after 10 years in CS. Even in private sector it only takes 6-7 years to hit 6k.

Unregistered 23-07-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70422)
However public sector is slightly more tolerant of poor performers, like the guy earning 6k after 10 years in CS. Even in private sector it only takes 6-7 years to hit 6k.

I would like to know what industries are you referring to and what kind of positions. And stop talking about monthly salaries but annual package.

Eg.
CS: $6k x 17 mths = $102k
Pte: $7k x 14 mths = $98k