Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 17-06-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68445)
are there people who jump to stat board after 1 or 2 year in ministry? can share experience? heard stat board pay better...

In general there's no such things as Stat board pay better than Ministry. The only true thing is that Stat board are more flexible, in that they need not adhere to IM. Therefore they are able to offer other incentives.

At the end of the day, it depends on which agency you are looking at. Certain stat boards like EDB, IE and MAS tend to pay more than ministries. Certain stat board like A*STAR on the other hand, don't follow ministries, and therefore no mid-year bonus nor end of year bonus. So it depends.

Unregistered 19-06-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68295)
from what i understand. how it works is that, based on the years on experience you have e.g 10 yrs , the HR will discount based on relevance to the job scope (assume 20% discount)

then based on 8 yrs experience, they will benchmark the salary to the median of staffs in the grade with similar yrs of experience.

the offer will be based on benchmark + your current salary based on some formula.

typically 5-10% up nia. dun expect too much.

Thanks, let's see how it goes

Unregistered 20-06-2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68445)
are there people who jump to stat board after 1 or 2 year in ministry? can share experience? heard stat board pay better...

From my personal experience, certain statboards pay better than Ministry. The benefits are better too. There are those who say that "Oh we are here to serve the country", but we also got to support our families.

The benefits in certain statboards are better, such as flexi-benefits. Some statboards give $800 flexi benefits which you can use to buy items for your family, etc. My Ministry does not have flexi-benefits and also does not build this into the salary. Certain statboards also give $100 - $200 more than the standard increment enjoyed by civil servants. Even the entertainment expenses differs by quite a lot! Some statboards allow much more claim allowances for those in the Ministry. Especially those statboards that are generating their own income.

Unregistered 22-06-2015 10:40 PM

any insights on the workplace culture at ministry of health?

Unregistered 24-06-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68737)
From my personal experience, certain statboards pay better than Ministry. The benefits are better too. There are those who say that "Oh we are here to serve the country", but we also got to support our families.

The benefits in certain statboards are better, such as flexi-benefits. Some statboards give $800 flexi benefits which you can use to buy items for your family, etc. My Ministry does not have flexi-benefits and also does not build this into the salary. Certain statboards also give $100 - $200 more than the standard increment enjoyed by civil servants. Even the entertainment expenses differs by quite a lot! Some statboards allow much more claim allowances for those in the Ministry. Especially those statboards that are generating their own income.

Which statboards are generating their own income?

Unregistered 24-06-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68950)

Maybe singstat? Not sure how much they generate tho.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 09:37 PM

I have a local uni comms degree and have been working in the media industry for around 2 years since I graduated. I am looking to move into the public sector for better work-life balance and career stability. But the thing is I don't want to go into corp comms or media relations. My work exp is also kinda niche in that it's not the typical 'corporate' environment, so I don't think I have that many transferable skills...

Any advice on which SBs/Ministries or what kind of roles I have a better chance of successfully applying for?

Unregistered 26-06-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68950)

There are a few. One of them is Sentosa. Because of that, they are strict in their R&P and that the bottom few percentile (cannot rem which) does not get any bonus nor increment. Pretty harsh environment.

Unregistered 28-06-2015 02:57 PM

The home team got a salary revision in the second half of last year while the social services got a salary adjustment early this year. Will there be similar adjustments for teachers coming soon?

Unregistered 30-06-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69099)
The home team got a salary revision in the second half of last year while the social services got a salary adjustment early this year. Will there be similar adjustments for teachers coming soon?

No, there will not be 1 coming soon.