Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-06-2015 12:29 PM

Hey all. Would like a bit of advice relating to CS.

Currently working in private sector, doing B2B public relations. It's not a bad job, but I can't see myself in there for too long. Small company, good relationship with colleagues but there's stress to meet KPI/client deliverables. Super micro-managing boss as well. Aiming to leave after working there for at least 1 year or so. Currently almost 7 months in.

Found out that the kind of job I prefer is to write reports/press releases, do research, and does not require much human contact on a day-to-day basis. My CS friends tell me I'm perfect fit for CS.

Any advice for someone like me? Such as chances of getting in, which agencices/SBs/ministries I can look at?

ATM, taking a pte degree with PSB Academy for a Bachelor of Arts in Comm Studies (UWA), did NS, and had previously worked in freelance media monitoring for a year. Current job exp includes press release/byline writing, pitching and distribution, media pitching and calling, and general management of client accounts.

Thanks in advance guys.

Unregistered 07-06-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67768)

Currently working in private sector, doing B2B public relations. It's not a bad job, but I can't see myself in there for too long. Small company, good relationship with colleagues but there's stress to meet KPI/client deliverables. Super micro-managing boss as well. Aiming to leave after working there for at least 1 year or so. Currently almost 7 months in.

Found out that the kind of job I prefer is to write reports/press releases, do research, and does not require much human contact on a day-to-day basis. My CS friends tell me I'm perfect fit for CS.

Any advice for someone like me? Such as chances of getting in, which agencices/SBs/ministries I can look at?

ATM, taking a pte degree with PSB Academy for a Bachelor of Arts in Comm Studies (UWA), did NS, and had previously worked in freelance media monitoring for a year. Current job exp includes press release/byline writing, pitching and distribution, media pitching and calling, and general management of client accounts.

Thanks in advance guys.

Private degree? Erm, I think low chance liao.

Unregistered 07-06-2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance guys.

Private degree is really low chance of entering any ministry or stat board. But you should try anyways. Its not about which agencies you can pick from. You should just apply to all and as many as you can and hope that one of them will pick you.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 06:57 AM

Thanks for your replies. Rather disheartening if the reality is that the CS still prefers local uni grads/scholars. Hope that at least my private sector experience will count for something when I start applying.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 08:38 AM

I am the guy who posted about being jobless for 2 months after graduation.

I can personally attest that hitting mx11 in 3 years is very possible - my colleague and good friend who had consistently achieved B for his performance (except the probation year with a C). It only comes with hard work though- he works until 11pm most days (4/5) for the past 2 years.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67807)
Thanks for your replies. Rather disheartening if the reality is that the CS still prefers local uni grads/scholars. Hope that at least my private sector experience will count for something when I start applying.

You can still be hired as a private degree holder. just don't expect your progression to be as speedy as a local degree holder.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

ATM, taking a pte degree with PSB Academy for a Bachelor of Arts in Comm Studies (UWA).

Thanks in advance guys.

SIM and unisim r also private degree. If these can get cs job, y u can't?

Unregistered 08-06-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67807)

You will get hired if you have relevant experience (with pay comensurating with exp). However, do bear in mind that in order to do comms/media relations, it will require a lot of human contact.

Unregistered 09-06-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67849)
You will get hired if you have relevant experience (with pay comensurating with exp). However, do bear in mind that in order to do comms/media relations, it will require a lot of human contact.

Hmmm one of the reasons I was looking at CS is because I enjoy keeping up with the news, reading up on global and local affairs. More interesting to me, honestly, than trying to get media publicity for clients in extremely technical industries.

Unregistered 09-06-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67865)
Hmmm one of the reasons I was looking at CS is because I enjoy keeping up with the news, reading up on global and local affairs. More interesting to me, honestly, than trying to get media publicity for clients in extremely technical industries.

I think you have some misconception of working as a comms officer in a ministry. The job is mostly procedural on specific areas, not sure what your liking reading global and local affairs news has got anything to do with it.