Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 21-01-2011 05:00 PM

Hospitall offer vs private firm

Hi, are public hospital considered civil service? I thought they are, since they r under the perview of MOH and headed by govt officials.

I have abt 12 yrs of working experience. But my degree (generic one) is from SIM though . I obtained it in yr 2003.

I am being offered an exe position (Max scheme), at 3.6k.

But at the same time, i have another offer at 4.8k as a manager at a private insurance firm.

I am in a fix because on one hand, hospital jobs r recession proof and have good bonus (3-4 mths, inculding PB, etc). If i dont do something stupid, i can be quite sure i can stay there till 65 yrs old.

But the career path is stagnant, slow and the job is, rather skewed towards civil mindset. Furthermore, being a SIM grad, i feel that i dun have any edge against the govt uni grads.

I also do not have any local poly certs, all privately taken, except O lvls.

I am 33, male.

I'd like the insurance firm (non-life), which enables me to display to the best of my abilities. But i also understand i am at the mercy of the firm when retremchment comes. However, the perks are: if i do well, i may be head hunted.

Any helpful comments?

Unregistered 21-01-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9022)
how old are you? or u born in which year , 1982 or 1981 or 1980??

born in year 1978

Unregistered 21-01-2011 05:01 PM

Hospital offer vs private firm

Hi, are public hospital considered civil service? I thought they are, since they r under the perview of MOH and headed by govt officials.

I have abt 12 yrs of working experience. But my degree (generic one) is from SIM though . I obtained it in yr 2003.

But at the same time, i have another offer at 4.8k as a manager at a private insurance firm.

I am in a fix because on one hand, hospital jobs r recession proof and have good bonus (3-4 mths, inculding PB, etc). If i dont do something stupid, i can be quite sure i can stay there till 65 yrs old.

But the career path is stagnant, slow and the job is, rather skewed towards civil mindset. Furthermore, being a SIM grad, i feel that i dun have any edge against the govt uni grads.

I am 33, male.

I'd like the insurance firm (non-life), which enables me to display to the best of my abilities. But i also understand i am at the mercy of the firm when retremchment comes. However, the perks are: if i do well, i may be head hunted.

Any helpful comments?

Unregistered 21-01-2011 05:06 PM

Sorry for the double posts

Sorry abt the double posting. Having some issues abt posting them using iphone.

Unregistered 21-01-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9025)

I am in a fix because on one hand, hospital jobs r recession proof and have good bonus (3-4 mths, including PB, etc). If i dont do something stupid, i can be quite sure i can stay there till 65 yrs old.

I am 33, male.

I'd like the insurance firm (non-life), which enables me to display to the best of my abilities. But i also understand i am at the mercy of the firm when retrenchment comes. However, the perks are: if i do well, i may be head hunted.

Any helpful comments?

wow, till now then i know hospital do payout 3-4 months of bonus, not bad

bobo 21-01-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9025)

I am 33, male.

Any helpful comments?

How did you get 12 years of working experience if you graduated from SIM in 2003??? 2011 has barely started, and I doubt you graduated in 2003 Jan. Also, seeing that you're 33, you started work at 21?

Sounds more like you have 6 years of working experience only.

Whatever it is, you only graduated in 2003, so whatever you were doing before than, like frying burgers at Burger King doesn't count - it was work for non-graduates.

If you're a SIM graduate, you're at the mercy of those with better degrees, whether or not you're in the civil service or government. I would also imagine the insurance company pays better bonus than the hospitals.

Are you sure you know what's going on? Your story seems rather confused.

bobo 21-01-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9023)

I would rate you at this price as well. If you really have a 4.8k offer, you should take it, there aren't too many people who would rate you so highly. I certainly wouldn't.

Unregistered 22-01-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9030)
How did you get 12 years of working experience if you graduated from SIM in 2003??? 2011 has barely started, and I doubt you graduated in 2003 Jan. Also, seeing that you're 33, you started work at 21?

Whatever it is, you only graduated in 2003, so whatever you were doing before than, like frying burgers at Burger King doesn't count - it was work for non-graduates.

If you're a SIM graduate, you're at the mercy of those with better degrees, whether or not you're in the civil service or government. I would also imagine the insurance company pays better bonus than the hospitals.

Actually bobo, maybe u should spend some time reading his post again. Even though he graduated in 2003, it might have been with a part-time degree, so he could have been working in a full-time job concurrently.

Also, he does have private diplomas so who is to say that he was only doing work like "frying burgers at Burger King"? Are you saying that people with diplomas are not doing meaningful work? Or only graduates do meaningful work?

However, I do strongly advise him to clarify a little more on his post, so that people who are confused by it can be enlightened.

Unregistered 22-01-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9030)

I started working at about 21, while holding O levels. Then obtained a private diploma at age 23, before finishing a part time degree at 26.

Again, I am now 33 of age.

Hence, I have about 5 yrs of working experience as a non-grad, and 7 yrs as a grad (SIM).

So, I believe I am not confusing anyone when I am saying I have 12 years of working experience, but, I also understand that there are certain HR that views my working exp as only 7 yrs (as a grad).

Hope that helps.

Unregistered 22-01-2011 11:16 AM

Horute Senate,

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9031)
I would rate you at this price as well. If you really have a 4.8k offer, you should take it, there aren't too many people who would rate you so highly. I certainly wouldn't.

Well, actually, I am being offered this price because I had registered a private firm dealing with general insurance by-products years ago, and unfortunately, I had to close it down due to the financial crisis in yr 2008.

I guess it might be my experience and contacts that the insurance firm are after, not my qualifications.

But thanks Bobo, for your advice. I take it.