Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 20-01-2011 06:24 PM

WDA and Bobo
 
Dear Bobo,

Good that you set the record straight, most of the proclaimations were quite hard to believe until your comment.

The truth sometimes hurts :(

In any case, does anyone know for a 10 yr working experience person with relevant experience, is WDA's Senior Manager position suitable? Or should be going for Asst Dir?

If any advice on pay range, that will be most helpful.

bobo 20-01-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8983)
In my GLC company(with 4 main subsidiaries), There is no such thing as add $1000 for each promotion, not even $200.

Well most people are average performer 'C' which includes me, will get no more than $4.2k with 2 promotion & 8 annual increments after 8 years of services in my company. How pathetic is this here!!!

Oh dear. I've not heard of such a system before. Promotion = More money. No money is not considered a promotion. Take on more responsibility but no money?! Hahaha...I think most people will tell their boss/HR to go fly kite! I hope your company pays good bonus!

Having said that, if you draw about $5000 (say 15 mths package) for 8 yrs experience, it's not too bad. Things could be much worse but of course we hope it to be better.

Ah Beng 20-01-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 8926)
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.


Bobo

You make a lot of sense with what you have written. In fact, I am from a reputable uni with 2nd upper and above. I worked for 14 years and have worked for both govenment and MNCs. You are right that in government, the starting is good but after sometime, those in MNCs will catch because of their transferable knowledge and experience.

I left government 6 years ago to join MNC and last I check, my ex boss is still where she is. My pay has doubled over the 6 years, with 2 promotions in between that gave me 25% increase each time (I am not sure if that is market rate but I am certainly very happy with it).

Unregistered 20-01-2011 10:28 PM

for those with about 60K annual income, approx 5 yrs working experience, how many hours do you put in a day? Do you get to knock off on time or have to work under tight deadlines/overtime most of the time?

My friend's friend earns 4K a mth as a poly lecturer, i think she will get about 2.5mths bonus on the average which gives her approx 58K per annum. She gets to knock off on time (no later than 7pm) except for some days when there are school meetings.

just a 2K difference and I work on average until 8-9pm everyday and high work stress. Not sure if it's worth it, thinking of caving in and taking life easy.

Unregistered 21-01-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 8959)
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.

LOL you have just shown how poor your upbringing is with your manners and language.. Think you are the one who should shut up.. I bet you inflated your own credentials since this is the Internet.. Rmb to wipe your mouth before you open it..

Unregistered 21-01-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 8926)
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.



No wonder the private sector job market is screwed with this kind of loser useless HR/Hiring Manager. "RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk", once again, this speaks volumes on your upbringing.. So sad.. You have lived your life in vain..

Unregistered 21-01-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 8926)
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.

bobo's post makes sense although he's too direct that it hurts.

Basically, what' important in considering a career is the total lifetime compensation and not just the starting pay.

In fact, there appears to be an inverse correlation between starting pay and total lifetime compensation.

bobo 21-01-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8990)
Dear Bobo,

Good that you set the record straight, most of the proclaimations were quite hard to believe until your comment.

The truth sometimes hurts :(

In any case, does anyone know for a 10 yr working experience person with relevant experience, is WDA's Senior Manager position suitable? Or should be going for Asst Dir?

If any advice on pay range, that will be most helpful.

Thanks. If you have 10 years experience, don't you think WDA is a bit small potato for you? Stat boards are already rather small organisations and WDA is like the small fish.

I know they call their fresh grads 'Mgrs' if that helps. I think its better to be known as an executive in a big company than an asst director in a small company.

Just my opinion. From my experience, it's quite amusing to see an assistant director or 'head' deal with my executive.

bobo 21-01-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8999)
No wonder the private sector job market is screwed with this kind of loser useless HR/Hiring Manager. "RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk", once again, this speaks volumes on your upbringing.. So sad.. You have lived your life in vain..

The pte sector job mkt is screwed? News to me but yeah, it is filled with useless hirers like myself. Since you got me all curious now, I found out that RMIT and Curtin are among the top...300 universities in the world. Read and weep. What their junk status has to do my family upbringing, I have no idea. Good luck in your career.

Unregistered 21-01-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9002)
The pte sector job mkt is screwed? News to me but yeah, it is filled with useless hirers like myself. Since you got me all curious now, I found out that RMIT and Curtin are among the top...300 universities in the world. Read and weep. What their junk status has to do my family upbringing, I have no idea. Good luck in your career.

Haha.. Glad that you admitted yourself that you're useless.. Kid, listen up, you're in a state of constant self-denial.. No matter how high you're going to climb in the private sector or have climbed, to me and to others who can discern the **** coming out of your mouth, youre nothing but a piece of human junk LOL


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2