Compare civil service salary - Page 49 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #481 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You screw up to 3rd class? oh,,,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
4 yrs exp, 3rd cls hon, eng. Is asking $3.5k reasonable? Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #482 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
bobo is on a distinguished road
Default

I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.

Reply With Quote
  #483 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.
This loser talks like he's the owner of some big company or he got a top notch degree himself.. I bet this loser does not have any solid working experience in a big company.. Just a load of hogwash he typed here LOL



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #484 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This loser talks like he's the owner of some big company or he got a top notch degree himself.. I bet this loser does not have any solid working experience in a big company.. Just a load of hogwash he typed here LOL
I don't agree with you. I think what he wrote makes a lot of sense. He knows his stuff. You don't.
Reply With Quote
  #485 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24
deadman is on a distinguished road
Default

I think the only way to verify if everyone speaking the truth is only to attach their pay slip... lol
Reply With Quote
  #486 (permalink)  
Old 20-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
bobo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This loser talks like he's the owner of some big company or he got a top notch degree himself.. I bet this loser does not have any solid working experience in a big company.. Just a load of hogwash he typed here LOL
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.

Last edited by bobo; 20-01-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #487 (permalink)  
Old 20-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
4 yrs exp, 3rd cls hon, eng. Is asking $3.5k reasonable? Thanks.
You screw up to 3rd class? oh,,,..
3rd class honours is till better than those who with "pass with merit" although having "merit" sounds better than being "3rd class". The ironies of life.

Perhaps the universities should just call the "pass with merit" a fourth class honours and those with "pass" degrees a fifth class honours.

Those from universities ranked outside world 100 should have their honours degrees demoted by one rung.
Reply With Quote
  #488 (permalink)  
Old 20-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.
Please ignore that fellow. He's the minority with a loud voice. I believe there's a silent majority here who really appreciate your good real-world insights and advice. Please continue to help the rest of us here.
Reply With Quote
  #489 (permalink)  
Old 20-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Management/Admin/Business ( Health Care )

Anyone working in the non-medical side?

Singhealth
National Health Group
SGH,TTSH etc

What's the pay like there? Easy to get in?
Pay structure goes the same as civil service? I understand that Singhealth and NHG are like under MOH but they follow private pay/bonus structure. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #490 (permalink)  
Old 20-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my GLC company(with 4 main subsidiaries), There is no such thing as add $1000 for each promotion, not even $200.

As for my case if I continue to work in my current company for 8 years, base on your formula, this is what I will get.

annual increment for A grader approx 6% only (B will get lesser by 1%, C ...accordingly)
promotional increment for A grader approx 8% only (B will get lesser by 2%, C ...accordingly)

Assuming I am a very 'outstanding' performer aka 'A' grader with my company, please refer to below:
Starting pay: $2800 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment = $2800 + 1.08^2 + 1.06^8 = approx $5.2K only

This wat you get here as a A performer here consecutively for 8 years....(very hard to achieve that).

Well most people are average performer 'C' which includes me, will get no more than $4.2k with 2 promotion & 8 annual increments after 8 years of services in my company. How pathetic is this here!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,667 Replies, 1,607,682 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
379 Replies, 250,911 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 22,172 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,620 Replies, 2,611,902 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,786 Replies, 272,214 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,296 Replies, 1,908,393 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 287,849 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 13,956 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,914 Replies, 1,085,282 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
159 Replies, 76,093 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,105 Replies, 5,585,547 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
688 Replies, 211,840 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,633 Replies, 784,073 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,191 Replies, 971,021 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 808 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,132 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 1,351 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,113 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 92,779 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 565,008 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,173 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 538 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,419 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,964 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,448 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,561 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 500,060 Views
Can share your your car...
2 Replies, 245 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
7 Replies, 2,155 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,138 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2