Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 15-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

You screw up to 3rd class? oh,,,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
4 yrs exp, 3rd cls hon, eng. Is asking $3.5k reasonable? Thanks.

Old 19-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Verified Member

bobo is on a distinguished road

I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.

Old 19-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.
This loser talks like he's the owner of some big company or he got a top notch degree himself.. I bet this loser does not have any solid working experience in a big company.. Just a load of hogwash he typed here LOL

Old 19-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This loser talks like he's the owner of some big company or he got a top notch degree himself.. I bet this loser does not have any solid working experience in a big company.. Just a load of hogwash he typed here LOL
I don't agree with you. I think what he wrote makes a lot of sense. He knows his stuff. You don't.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Verified Member

deadman is on a distinguished road

I think the only way to verify if everyone speaking the truth is only to attach their pay slip... lol
Old 20-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Verified Member

bobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.

Last edited by bobo; 20-01-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Old 20-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
4 yrs exp, 3rd cls hon, eng. Is asking $3.5k reasonable? Thanks.
You screw up to 3rd class? oh,,,..
3rd class honours is till better than those who with "pass with merit" although having "merit" sounds better than being "3rd class". The ironies of life.

Perhaps the universities should just call the "pass with merit" a fourth class honours and those with "pass" degrees a fifth class honours.

Those from universities ranked outside world 100 should have their honours degrees demoted by one rung.
Old 20-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.
Please ignore that fellow. He's the minority with a loud voice. I believe there's a silent majority here who really appreciate your good real-world insights and advice. Please continue to help the rest of us here.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Default Management/Admin/Business ( Health Care )

Anyone working in the non-medical side?

Singhealth
National Health Group
SGH,TTSH etc

What's the pay like there? Easy to get in?
Pay structure goes the same as civil service? I understand that Singhealth and NHG are like under MOH but they follow private pay/bonus structure. Thanks
Old 20-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my GLC company(with 4 main subsidiaries), There is no such thing as add $1000 for each promotion, not even $200.

As for my case if I continue to work in my current company for 8 years, base on your formula, this is what I will get.

annual increment for A grader approx 6% only (B will get lesser by 1%, C ...accordingly)
promotional increment for A grader approx 8% only (B will get lesser by 2%, C ...accordingly)

Assuming I am a very 'outstanding' performer aka 'A' grader with my company, please refer to below:
Starting pay: $2800 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment = $2800 + 1.08^2 + 1.06^8 = approx $5.2K only

This wat you get here as a A performer here consecutively for 8 years....(very hard to achieve that).

Well most people are average performer 'C' which includes me, will get no more than $4.2k with 2 promotion & 8 annual increments after 8 years of services in my company. How pathetic is this here!!!