Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 27-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It depends on your relevant job experience as defined by HR. If your general degree is recognised by the Civil Service, you would be placed on the MX scheme. For the MX scheme, you can refer to all other info available in the forum.
Thank you for the reply. 40s to compete with the fresh graduate, chances of getting the interview are slim. Also the salary will be a big cut. Asking 4k but might be reduce it to 3k.

Old 27-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. 40s to compete with the fresh graduate, chances of getting the interview are slim. Also the salary will be a big cut. Asking 4k but might be reduce it to 3k.
y are u competing against fresh graduates? if you r in ur 40s but still applying for entry level role, i think that's a huge red flag.

Old 27-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Need some helpful advice pls.
Got a job from a ministry, say pending management approval and medical review, whole process is ard 1.5mo, but role is quite confirmed despite no contract signed yet (only after medical review then can sign) but i get the 'feeling' they shld b hiring me since reference checks are done and no major issues.

Got an offer from a SME, since I resigned without a job las month i have been jobless for close to a month. Hubb advised me to just take up as backup plan, in case the ministry fall back on their words. Also, he say to take up for financial reasons, still got loans and all very hard to wait for a month plus. The ministry did say will expedite for me. Should i just take up while waiting got the ministry? Its manpower division, will they find out?

And I actually may be waiting for other offers and i dont quite like this role so if i choose a backup should i choose something i like instead? And is it really unprofessional to work somewhere when u r pending clearance for another job? Pls advice, very very vexed, we need money and the ministry oso dont knw will suddenly chu pattern and i end up no jobs leh

Old 27-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Need some helpful advice pls.
Got a job from a ministry, say pending management approval and medical review, whole process is ard 1.5mo, but role is quite confirmed despite no contract signed yet (only after medical review then can sign) but i get the 'feeling' they shld b hiring me since reference checks are done and no major issues.

Got an offer from a SME, since I resigned without a job las month i have been jobless for close to a month. Hubb advised me to just take up as backup plan, in case the ministry fall back on their words. Also, he say to take up for financial reasons, still got loans and all very hard to wait for a month plus. The ministry did say will expedite for me. Should i just take up while waiting got the ministry? Its manpower division, will they find out?

And I actually may be waiting for other offers and i dont quite like this role so if i choose a backup should i choose something i like instead? And is it really unprofessional to work somewhere when u r pending clearance for another job? Pls advice, very very vexed, we need money and the ministry oso dont knw will suddenly chu pattern and i end up no jobs leh
how bad is ur family's financial situation? will ur family still be able to keep up with the bills if you wait for the ministry?
if no, then obviously just take up the sme offer. otherwise, wait for the ministry contract, which i assumed the pay will be higher. it is unlikely for them to back down from the offer if they have already given you the verbal offer.
Old 27-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
how bad is ur family's financial situation? will ur family still be able to keep up with the bills if you wait for the ministry?
if no, then obviously just take up the sme offer. otherwise, wait for the ministry contract, which i assumed the pay will be higher. it is unlikely for them to back down from the offer if they have already given you the verbal offer.
We dont have savings so hubby feels very drained and he is missing out on allowance for his parents, so am I. I have been unemployed for close to a month and it's quite bad, but i feel it is very risky to take up another offer since they seemed very happy to take me in and i shld be able to get in. Do u know how long between medical and signing of offer letter? I was previously from ministry, didnt remember it being that long...
Old 28-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
We dont have savings so hubby feels very drained and he is missing out on allowance for his parents, so am I. I have been unemployed for close to a month and it's quite bad, but i feel it is very risky to take up another offer since they seemed very happy to take me in and i shld be able to get in. Do u know how long between medical and signing of offer letter? I was previously from ministry, didnt remember it being that long...
you mentioned "And is it really unprofessional to work somewhere when u r pending clearance for another job?". does that mean if you get the ministry job, you will quit the sme job?

and reference to your this question "And I actually may be waiting for other offers and i dont quite like this role so if i choose a backup should i choose something i like instead?" do you mean you don't like the ministry role or don't like the sme role?

ad for this question: "Its manpower division, will they find out?". It is not the HR division which you are applying to correct? If not, you should be fine.

sorry i can't really advise without knowing the situation above.

Old 28-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
you mentioned "And is it really unprofessional to work somewhere when u r pending clearance for another job?". does that mean if you get the ministry job, you will quit the sme job?

and reference to your this question "And I actually may be waiting for other offers and i dont quite like this role so if i choose a backup should i choose something i like instead?" do you mean you don't like the ministry role or don't like the sme role?

ad for this question: "Its manpower division, will they find out?". It is not the HR division which you are applying to correct? If not, you should be fine.

sorry i can't really advise without knowing the situation above.
Yes i will resign after clearance and after careful consideration i decided to not take up the sme role, they seemed to be pushing me to accept the offer too.

I mean i dont like the sme role prefer the other offers that r pending.. More career progression and better future prospects. So i was thinking if i can i will try to wait for the other offers and make a more informed decision.

Do u knw how long is the wait for medical clearance after management approval? And how long after medical to signing letter? I asked the person liao she say will try to expedite, she says the approval shld b quite fast and i hope the medical will come next week though i dont know how likely it will be, i feel shld trust the ministry since they aldy given me their word i doubt they will retract the offer, just that its very long
Old 28-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes i will resign after clearance and after careful consideration i decided to not take up the sme role, they seemed to be pushing me to accept the offer too.

I mean i dont like the sme role prefer the other offers that r pending.. More career progression and better future prospects. So i was thinking if i can i will try to wait for the other offers and make a more informed decision.

Do u knw how long is the wait for medical clearance after management approval? And how long after medical to signing letter? I asked the person liao she say will try to expedite, she says the approval shld b quite fast and i hope the medical will come next week though i dont know how likely it will be, i feel shld trust the ministry since they aldy given me their word i doubt they will retract the offer, just that its very long
well, if you do not like the sme role, i would advise you not to take it up too. actually given the current job market status, one month of being jobless is not long by the current standards. but understand your urgency because of financials.

you mentioned you prefer other pending offers. sounds like you have many offers going for you and i do not think you should be rushing into one you do not like.

the hiring processes differs between ministries, but in general, it could take 1-2 months from the first interview to the actual first day. the delay is also possible due to lky's unfortunate passing. many ministries could be could be having internal tributes, screening of proceedings, etc, which would take up the management's time.

seems like you are very keen on the ministry's offer. main question would be do you like the job scope of what they offered you and is it related to your past work experiences?
Old 28-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
well, if you do not like the sme role, i would advise you not to take it up too. actually given the current job market status, one month of being jobless is not long by the current standards. but understand your urgency because of financials.

you mentioned you prefer other pending offers. sounds like you have many offers going for you and i do not think you should be rushing into one you do not like.

the hiring processes differs between ministries, but in general, it could take 1-2 months from the first interview to the actual first day. the delay is also possible due to lky's unfortunate passing. many ministries could be could be having internal tributes, screening of proceedings, etc, which would take up the management's time.

seems like you are very keen on the ministry's offer. main question would be do you like the job scope of what they offered you and is it related to your past work experiences?
I am considering the sme role becuz being jobless makes me depressed and worried, can u imagine that i have went to more than 10interviews this month and so many of them didnt even bother to get back to me? It is frustrating and devastating. Being unemployed is a terrible thing so i feel like taking this sme role in case i am left with nothing. It is a very dreadful feeling.

The other two offers are not confirmed to be honest, they are still going thru reference checks (calling up my ex supervisors) and processing salary package, i am so worried they will come up with nothing, u see being unemployed makes pple paranoid.

I prefer a ministry job because i was previously a civil servant, been thru 2 diff ministries but resigned to take on a sales role and regretted after a month. Now that i found a ministry job and able to compare it with a corporate role, i really prefer to work in the ministries. Yes pay not fantastic, but gd work life balance and understanding boss. My previous boss was a stupid angmoh who only cared abt money n squeezing sg dry.

Thats why i dont know what to do. On one hand the ministry job seems quite keen on me and i am waiting for medical, on the other hand i am so worried that i will end up with nothing and the bills are piling...
Old 28-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am considering the sme role becuz being jobless makes me depressed and worried, can u imagine that i have went to more than 10interviews this month and so many of them didnt even bother to get back to me? It is frustrating and devastating. Being unemployed is a terrible thing so i feel like taking this sme role in case i am left with nothing. It is a very dreadful feeling.

The other two offers are not confirmed to be honest, they are still going thru reference checks (calling up my ex supervisors) and processing salary package, i am so worried they will come up with nothing, u see being unemployed makes pple paranoid.

I prefer a ministry job because i was previously a civil servant, been thru 2 diff ministries but resigned to take on a sales role and regretted after a month. Now that i found a ministry job and able to compare it with a corporate role, i really prefer to work in the ministries. Yes pay not fantastic, but gd work life balance and understanding boss. My previous boss was a stupid angmoh who only cared abt money n squeezing sg dry.

Thats why i dont know what to do. On one hand the ministry job seems quite keen on me and i am waiting for medical, on the other hand i am so worried that i will end up with nothing and the bills are piling...
my personal take is that since you prefer the ministry job, and because they have already given you a verbal offer, it should be fairly secure.

if you were to take up the sme job, when would your first day be? because you could easily not show up for the first day if the ministry confirms your job before that. if you started work at the sme and resign, be aware of the notice period.

what is the difference in salary offers between the above mentioned sme and the ministry? is your hubby able to provide some financial support during your current unemployment?