Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 04-02-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62253)
oh i am going to study for career change, don't really care about the pay increase. just wondering if it's 'recognised' and on the same level as NUS/NTU/SMU or seen as 'worse' in civil service's eyes.

then why not study in NUS/NTU/SMU for a master, you can save a lot studying locally I assume.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62258)
then why not study in NUS/NTU/SMU for a master, you can save a lot studying locally I assume.

the course i want is not available locally.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 05:32 PM

what course are u going to study?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62264)

Unregistered_ 04-02-2015 08:09 PM

Anyone can share what's the career progression like for an operation executive in GLCs?

Unregistered 04-02-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62275)
what course are u going to study?

psychology...i'm just interested to know from experienced people how the university of nottingham is viewed by civil service in relation to the 3 main local unis.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 09:30 PM

NUS & NTU dont offer psychology meh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62280)
psychology...i'm just interested to know from experienced people how the university of nottingham is viewed by civil service in relation to the 3 main local unis.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62280)

1. NUS and NTU does offer psych.
2. Uni of nottingham wont get you in civil service as a psychologist.
3. Without even an bachelors in psych, you will find it hard to be hired at all. 2 years of masters coursework is basically equivalent to an extra 2 years on undergrad work. Undergrads regularly take post-grad modules and vice versa.
4. You will lack the 4 year foundational psych knowledge, and although nottingham might not mind, employers would.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62264)

then you probably need to think why local Us r not offering such courses and the potential job market for such courses.

Unregistered 04-02-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62285)
1. NUS and NTU does offer psych.
2. Uni of nottingham wont get you in civil service as a psychologist.
3. Without even an bachelors in psych, you will find it hard to be hired at all. 2 years of masters coursework is basically equivalent to an extra 2 years on undergrad work. Undergrads regularly take post-grad modules and vice versa.
4. You will lack the 4 year foundational psych knowledge, and although nottingham might not mind, employers would.

about 1, I heard once from an NUS psych undergrads that local Us don't have master program for psych, so he applied for PhD program instead. If that's true, which should be given it's from a psych undergrad, then it probably indicate the lack of recognition of psych master degree locally. He also mention to me psych consultation related jobs r scarce locally.

Unregistered 05-02-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62295)
about 1, I heard once from an NUS psych undergrads that local Us don't have master program for psych, so he applied for PhD program instead. If that's true, which should be given it's from a psych undergrad, then it probably indicate the lack of recognition of psych master degree locally. He also mention to me psych consultation related jobs r scarce locally.

NTU MA in Psych:

://.hss.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/psychology/programmes/graduate/Pages/MasterofArts.aspx

NIE MA in Applied Psych:

://.nie.edu.sg/study-nie/admissions/graduate-studies-professional-learning/higher-degree-programmes/masters-coursework/master-arts-applied-0

NUS Master in Clinical Psych:

://.fas.nus.edu.sg/psy/_clinical/prog.htm

NUS Master of Social Science(Psychology):

://.fas.nus.edu.sg/psy/_prospective/pr_m_social_science.htm

If you guys cant even find these online, maybe youre not cut out for masters. There is no body that gives accreditation for psychology masters in Singapore. But it is pretty well regarded that to be a psychologist, at least at an IMH standard, you need a Phd. So your friend skipping his masters for a phd is a good move. To be regarded as a psychologist, one needs a phd. Masters are not that well regarded. Even with a masters, one can only be considered as a counsellor, like those that work with NIE/MOE.