Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 21-01-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61695)
Mx9?

Haha, can you spell "naïve"?

Why? How much do they draw?

My all in comp about 220k

Unregistered 21-01-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61687)
Just to clarify, what I meant was if I should be aiming for the same grade as in mx12 or should I be aiming for a promotion to mx11/mx11a..

in general, the civil service openings will not state the MX grade of the job. with 3 years experience, it is unlikely that they will hire you at mx11 (still possible, but unlikely). there has also been some hr directive that does not allow agencies to lure other public servants with pay increases without any break in service, i.e. u will only get your last drawn pay unless u quit and join.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61699)

I'm pretty sure you are trolling but i will reply you in good faith. basically, there is no reason at all for the govt to match your last drawn pay. civil service will never lead the market - the offer will be based on the civil service salary scale (i.e. base offer to fresh grads + years of relevant exp (increment), assuming avg perf). With irrelevant exp, the "years of relevant exp" is halved. There is some room to maneuver but it is in the regions of low hundreds.

with 2 yrs of irrelevant experience, you will be lucky to get 4.2k. the agency still has to put in effort to train you and if you perform average, you might reach your current 12k salary in your mid-40s.

Unregistered 21-01-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61703)
in general, the civil service openings will not state the MX grade of the job. with 3 years experience, it is unlikely that they will hire you at mx11 (still possible, but unlikely). there has also been some hr directive that does not allow agencies to lure other public servants with pay increases without any break in service, i.e. u will only get your last drawn pay unless u quit and join.

I'm pretty sure you are trolling but i will reply you in good faith. basically, there is no reason at all for the govt to match your last drawn pay. civil service will never lead the market - the offer will be based on the civil service salary scale (i.e. base offer to fresh grads + years of relevant exp (increment), assuming avg perf). With irrelevant exp, the "years of relevant exp" is halved. There is some room to maneuver but it is in the regions of low hundreds.

with 2 yrs of irrelevant experience, you will be lucky to get 4.2k. the agency still has to put in effort to train you and if you perform average, you might reach your current 12k salary in your mid-40s.

Hi you seemed to know a bit about civil service hiring so I hope you would help me with my query:

What if I am currently on one scheme and would like to switch to another scheme which pays a higher premium? Do I then have to quit my current scheme to join the premium scheme, and in the process lose all my years of experience, leave benefits, and performance record? Assume that the jobs scopes are exactly the same, and that only the schemes are different.

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 21-01-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61708)
Hi you seemed to know a bit about civil service hiring so I hope you would help me with my query:

What if I am currently on one scheme and would like to switch to another scheme which pays a higher premium? Do I then have to quit my current scheme to join the premium scheme, and in the process lose all my years of experience, leave benefits, and performance record? Assume that the jobs scopes are exactly the same, and that only the schemes are different.

Thanks in advance!

from what i know, past service and leave will be retained for transfers to different schemes.

Unregistered 22-01-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

As what some of the people here has quoted, there is no way you can get MX9. Reason being while the higher your grade = the higher your salary is, it is not vice versa. MX9 is super scale, meaning Director and above. To reach that level, even for scholars, they require about 10 years of service in general. Have you ever lead a team? Make social policies that will affect the entire nation?

The reason why banks pay you that much is simply because you help them bring in the bacon. But to be honest, you help them clinch deals worth millions of dollars or more, and you don't even get 1% of the money. That's the sad reality.

With your experience, you'll probably only enter public service as an entry level, with a starting pay of about $4.2k. In all likelihood, you won't even get an interview cause HR will think you're just joking. Besides, you hardly have any skill sets which can be transferred from your current job to the public sector. Not with only 2 years of experience anyway.

My honest opinion? If you want a better work life balance, transfer from FO to BO. I doubt you can even get >$6k at BO office anyway. But you'll have a better work-life balance as compared to FO.

Unregistered 22-01-2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61695)
Mx9?

Haha, can you spell "naïve"?

12k Ringgit? I just saw another guy also 27 years old with only SGD26k in his bank a/c in the how much savings u got thread. You sure u r not the same guy?!! lol

Unregistered 22-01-2015 09:46 PM

Rank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61687)
Just to clarify, what I meant was if I should be aiming for the same grade as in mx12 or should I be aiming for a promotion to mx11/mx11a..

You don't get to decide on whether your rank would be higher. Usually transfers between govt bodies will have you at the same rank, if not lower subjected to job requirements and relevant experience as decided by HR.

Unregistered 22-01-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61709)
from what i know, past service and leave will be retained for transfers to different schemes.

Yes, provided you don't have a break in between service.

Unregistered 22-01-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Hahahaa, it is not about how much mx9 can draw. 220k is doable.

The point is you won't be offered mx9!

Unregistered 23-01-2015 12:21 AM

You also only get hired if there was a vacancy for that position. Its not merely about you desiring a better work-life balance for a comparable tradeoff of salary.

If they were hiring for a MX11 position and you demanded MX9 pay to do an MX11 job, in effect you would be earning more than your immediate boss does - you can imagine what that does to the organization structure and function.

Perhaps better for you to make your million in five years and then bug out - civil service does not sound like it is for you.