Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

mid-life crisis 13-12-2010 05:55 PM

I need some advice here, applied for Asst. Director in stat board, offered $5,300 which is much lower than my current in private sector. But they tried to sell me the idea that C grade - below average performer gets 3.5 months bonus and B grade - 5 months. Is that true and if this is the average for Asst. Director? What is the max under this range?

Curious-Employee 13-12-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8184)
scholarship from SPRING for MDS. totally no use. had friends who was in similar situation and no stat board will hire him. NTU biz school? still think you should hold out for a better school if you can afford it.

Dear Unregistered,

Could you elaborate a little more on your freind's MDS situation? Isn't it suppose to be quite prestigious?

I knew an acuqintance that he became senior management in 2 years after he graduated from Nanyang MBA, another from NUS MBA - 3 years became senior manager (top management). Hence, my view that it is very useful in public sector as well (sponsored by SPRING up to 90%).

They don't admit many as well, only 20 people per year until budget runs out (which I heard is soon; it started since the financial crisis in 2008).

Cheers.

mid-life crisis 13-12-2010 05:56 PM

I need to know what kind of increment I can get a year and how soon can average performer be promoted to the next level?

Unregistered 13-12-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 8195)
I need some advice here, applied for Asst. Director in stat board, offered $5,300 which is much lower than my current in private sector. But they tried to sell me the idea that C grade - below average performer gets 3.5 months bonus and B grade - 5 months. Is that true and if this is the average for Asst. Director? What is the max under this range?

Bro, which statboard is this? that's pretty high.

Engineering based?'

Maybe you could state your working experience, (industry), degree type, class, local uni? This is because many forumers here adviced that govt sector is very particular abt grades, esp 1st degree - I believe masters is also crucial if relevant.

How many interviews did you go thru b4 this stage?

Cheers

mid-life crisis 13-12-2010 06:04 PM

6 years ex, 1st class, overseas uni, 2 interviews with a written assignment, non-engineering. I don't think I should reveal the stat board since its public info here. What is the normal salary then? Have rejected them, but they said will counter offer, but I don't think they can offer much more.

Unregistered 13-12-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 8199)
6 years ex, 1st class, overseas uni, 2 interviews with a written assignment, non-engineering. I don't think I should reveal the stat board since its public info here. What is the normal salary then? Have rejected them, but they said will counter offer, but I don't think they can offer much more.

Asst director is Grade 4 - range depends on statboard (revenue based).

For university/polys - Grade 4 ranges 6k to 10k (approx.)

May I know what kind of assignment that they asked for?

Cheers.

mid-life crisis 13-12-2010 06:13 PM

Work related assignment based on real-life scenario. So Grade 4 is Asst. Director and what grade is Deputy Director and range of salary?

Unregistered 13-12-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 8201)
Work related assignment based on real-life scenario. So Grade 4 is Asst. Director and what grade is Deputy Director and range of salary?

Dep Dir - Grade 3, Dir is Grade 2, both are super scale (above 15k)

Grade 3 and above are like senior management already.

What do you thk of your chances of counter offer? Why did you leave your job? 6 yrs of working exp should make you about 32 yrs old?

I wonder is there any place for a person above 40 in the govt, with 15 years exp in the service industry but hold MBA and engineering degree (3)..... Many forumers adviced to stay in private sector.....7 year itch I guess :)

mid-life crisis 13-12-2010 06:33 PM

What? From $5,300 for Asst. Director then the jump to above $15k doesn't make sense at all. Not sure about the chances of giving me close to my current, I make $8k in private now.

Unregistered 13-12-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 8203)
What? From $5,300 for Asst. Director then the jump to above $15k doesn't make sense at all. Not sure about the chances of giving me close to my current, I make $8k in private now.

Typing error, of course this is not official, just hear say -

Grade 4 - 6k to 10k

Grade 3 - 10k to 15k

Grade 2 - 15 and above

Within grades have abt 2 to 3 other titles. Between grades are the big jumps.

You must be doing well in private, unless it is sales commission based.

Good luck and keep us posted.