Compare civil service salary - Page 421 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4201 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
MX12 for Ava

Thanks. I had the impression that all fresh grads had to begin at MX13, but this shows otherwise. Are both the manager and executive manager positions MX13?

Reply With Quote
  #4202 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thks for advice.I tried but no response received frm those jobs.

Anybody has any idea what r the career progression routes for policy formulation roles in SB?
Policy divisions in CS/PS tend to have high visibility and decent exposure, and those in such roles tend to be more mobile across divisions in the same agency or CS/PS in general. Options are either to rise in rank in the same agency, or to move to other agencies to become more adept at policy formulation from a Whole of Government (WOG) perspective.

As many others may have already mentioned, Policy divisions in general have a good concentration of scholars and intelligent folks in general. AOs who are on rotation tend to be placed in such divisions. AOs and scholars aside, agencies do try their best to retain other competent individuals in such roles. Such roles require a good deal of brainpower (e.g. think far enough ahead), due diligence (e.g. consider a scenario from all perspectives), attitude (e.g. be prepared to stand corrected), writing skills (i.e. need to be able to articulate a position clearly and concisely) as well as decent presentation skills.

Reply With Quote
  #4203 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sry, the offer is for MX11. Not MX11A. What's the ceiling for MX11... Feeling a little low.
Will you be managing a team? You mentioned that you have 12 years experience. Is it directly relevant to this new role?

Ceiling for mx11 is 7119

Reply With Quote
  #4204 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks. I had the impression that all fresh grads had to begin at MX13, but this shows otherwise. Are both the manager and executive manager positions MX13?
Assistant manager at AVA is mx13, executive manager is mx12, senior exec manager is mx11
Reply With Quote
  #4205 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will you be managing a team? You mentioned that you have 12 years experience. Is it directly relevant to this new role?

Ceiling for mx11 is 7119

nope. no team. what is the increment like for B grader? That means I am getting quite close to ceiling. Will they promote me within 1-2 years? If not I will hit ceiling...
Reply With Quote
  #4206 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Assistant manager at AVA is mx13, executive manager is mx12, senior exec manager is mx11
Think they have dropped the designation of assistant manager few years back. Freshies all start at mx12 now.
Reply With Quote

  #4207 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nope. no team. what is the increment like for B grader? That means I am getting quite close to ceiling. Will they promote me within 1-2 years? If not I will hit ceiling...
Are u taking pay cut for this new role?

How old are you?

It's possible to get promoted within two years, if you get two Bs.
Reply With Quote
  #4208 (permalink)  
Old 29-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Policy divisions in CS/PS tend to have high visibility and decent exposure, and those in such roles tend to be more mobile across divisions in the same agency or CS/PS in general. Options are either to rise in rank in the same agency, or to move to other agencies to become more adept at policy formulation from a Whole of Government (WOG) perspective.

As many others may have already mentioned, Policy divisions in general have a good concentration of scholars and intelligent folks in general. AOs who are on rotation tend to be placed in such divisions. AOs and scholars aside, agencies do try their best to retain other competent individuals in such roles. Such roles require a good deal of brainpower (e.g. think far enough ahead), due diligence (e.g. consider a scenario from all perspectives), attitude (e.g. be prepared to stand corrected), writing skills (i.e. need to be able to articulate a position clearly and concisely) as well as decent presentation skills.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. From your reply, it does seem that policy formulation is not too bad if one intends to remain in PS/CS for a long period of time. As highlighted by other folks, it is relatively hard to get out of CS/PS after extended periods of time as the skills gained are not directly transferable to the pte sector. Being 32 yrs of age with 5 yrs of pte sector engrr exp, do u tink tat it is too early for me to join the public sector? Another q: Assuming an above average performance, (ie B grade in the context of PS), what is the expected time frame to progress thru the ranks within the same agency? Kindly advise. Thks.
Reply With Quote
  #4209 (permalink)  
Old 29-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sharing my personal experience. Started out at the finance ministry in 2011 as a fresh grad with 2nd upper from local uni, not a scholar, MX13, 3.6k. Pay rise to 4k in my second year. For those with the thinking that CS/PS gives you work-life balance you might be misled. High profile ministries usually deal with alot of work on a daily basis, and fresh grad/new hires bear the blunt of it. I felt burnt out when i approached my second year and took a year off, quit the job to pursue my personal interests.

Came back this year to find a job, and I learnt that it's not easy to find a job in the private sector, given that work in the CS is usually general and niche (at least for what I did for my first job) Applied for 3 SB positions and landed myself in one dealing with the finance industry. Got a 5% increment from my last drawn, and my SB doesnt follow the MX grading. So far it's looking a lot better than my ex-ministry job, and there seems to be decent career prospects within the organisation.

My advice is that for those looking to join CS/PS, find out more about the job description and maybe from friends who are working in a similar position. Be prepared to work with the mindset that you will be here for the long run, it will pay you decently well, but probably less than your equivalent in the private sector. You will also need to bear in mind you might be passed on for promotions, given that competition is as tough. If not tougher than the private sector.
Reply With Quote
  #4210 (permalink)  
Old 29-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree with the post immediately above. Its really not a bed of roses in CS esp with increased public engagement and scrutiny. Have also seen officers getting shelled by senior
management at meetings, so you definitely are held accountable for
the work you do
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 143 07-09-2020 04:27 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
200 Replies, 41,594 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,563 Replies, 2,116,212 Views
Covid-related job opportunities...
4 Replies, 179 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,008 Replies, 3,342,228 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,956 Replies, 1,401,705 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 9,051 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 58,892 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 146,179 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,855 Replies, 1,240,210 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,694 Replies, 1,056,171 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,109 Replies, 867,091 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,306 Replies, 319,544 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
881 Replies, 603,182 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,890,693 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 241,758 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,161 Replies, 6,218,415 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 205,078 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,401 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,870 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 184,024 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,847 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,631 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 6,022 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 71 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,172 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,465 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,568 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 80 Views
Starting new employment while...
6 Replies, 337 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2