Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 18-09-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56609)
I thought that this is the case only if the ceiling of your grade is the same as our CEP grade?

not so. Everything is smooth until you hit MX11. Coz not enough senior management positions. the churn is usually at the executive levels (AD, SMs and below). DD and Directors hardly move. Even if they do move, the positions are reserved for scholars. They call this the ROA positions.

Unregistered 19-09-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56620)
not so. Everything is smooth until you hit MX11. Coz not enough senior management positions. the churn is usually at the executive levels (AD, SMs and below). DD and Directors hardly move. Even if they do move, the positions are reserved for scholars. They call this the ROA positions.

Hmm so do you reckon whether this happens at mx11 or mx11a?

Mx10 onwards are considered as senior management grades?

Unregistered 19-09-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56624)
Hmm so do you reckon whether this happens at mx11 or mx11a?

Mx10 onwards are considered as senior management grades?

In my opinion, MX10 (SAD/DD) is a middle management position.

Unregistered 19-09-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Was deciding to join the marine industry on civil service.. seems like civil services is a better choice after all.

Marine industry offer 2400 to 2600..

Civil service starting pay is about 3100-3700 already...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56610)
Be forewarned, as in earlier posts, that the idiotic bureaucracy can drive you up the wall. You might quit in frustration, never know.

no brainer.. join the CS.

you must know that the marine/shipping industry is generally down in the dumps and not glamorous. the local listed marine companies are very highly leveraged and bonuses are not fantastic.

marine/shipping MNCs on local terms are not much better..... unless you are on an expat package.

Unregistered 19-09-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56629)
In my opinion, MX10 (SAD/DD) is a middle management position.

I've heard that there are some at mx10 who do not have to lead teams (no supervisory duties). Is it true?

Unregistered 19-09-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56631)
I've heard that there are some at mx10 who do not have to lead teams (no supervisory duties). Is it true?

not likely. If true, this is not a good sign, says you are a lone ranger whose leadership skills are suspect. Same with mx11 or mx11a, but less omnious.

Unregistered 19-09-2014 03:22 PM

Is it true that CS/PS focus on the honours that an applicant has?

I'm 35, currently earning 8.5k with pass degree. But regardless of what position I applied for, from senior executive to DD level, none got back to me.

Anyone knows?

Wisely 19-09-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56644)
Is it true that CS/PS focus on the honours that an applicant has?

I'm 35, currently earning 8.5k with pass degree. But regardless of what position I applied for, from senior executive to DD level, none got back to me.

Anyone knows?

What is your annual remuneration package? What industry? I think you are doing fine now. Why do you want to switch to cs/ps?

Unregistered 19-09-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely (Post 56649)
What is your annual remuneration package? What industry? I think you are doing fine now. Why do you want to switch to cs/ps?

Annual around 130kpa.

I'm looking for work life balance.

Unregistered 19-09-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56656)
Annual around 130kpa.

I'm looking for work life balance.

8.5k, with annual of 130k is the ceiling of mx11a.

CS is very selective when it comes to appointing pple at mx10 and above. This could explain why you didn't get replies for DD position.

What industry are you in? What's your job function?