Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 31-08-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55727)
Is the salary adjustment across the board, or restricted to some MX grades only?

Reading the posts here, and from chatting with some friends from the civil service, I find it hard to believe that civil service pay lags behind the market, especially when the last market adjustment was only 2 years ago.

I think it's for mx11 and mx10. Not sure about mx9.

I guess that the primary reason was probably they saw the need to split mx11 into mx11 and mx11a and wanted to do so without negative responses from the ground. Have to ensure that people are not pissed off by the creation of mx11a, which causes mx10 to seem harder to attain under the new system.

Unregistered 31-08-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55721)
Yeah, first job. Had several postings across departments but within the same organisation.

Were you primarily posted to policy roles?

Unregistered 31-08-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55746)
Were you primarily posted to policy roles?

Is being in Policy roles better? Is it harder to get in/survive in Policy?

Unregistered 31-08-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55747)
Is being in Policy roles better? Is it harder to get in/survive in Policy?

I feel that there are more opportunities for profiling in policy. This cld possibly result in better career progression?

Unregistered 31-08-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55749)
I feel that there are more opportunities for profiling in policy. This cld possibly result in better career progression?

You can profile anywhere if you have a good boss ! It is really hard to find a good boss in civil service though ;) . Non-AOs too lepak. AOs too high expectations. lol.

Unregistered 31-08-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55750)
You can profile anywhere if you have a good boss ! It is really hard to find a good boss in civil service though ;) . Non-AOs too lepak. AOs too high expectations. lol.

Had four postings (three of which were for policy work) in seven plus years. Just starting on my fifth posting. I must say I was really blessed to have had several good bosses.

Bosses (especially if you get to work directly with Ds/SDs/GDs) really play a critical role - in assigning high-profile work, providing opportunities for snr mgt to know you, as well as giving due recognition and fighting for good grades/CEP.

Unregistered 31-08-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55755)
Had four postings (three of which were for policy work) in seven plus years. Just starting on my fifth posting. I must say I was really blessed to have had several good bosses.

Bosses (especially if you get to work directly with Ds/SDs/GDs) really play a critical role - in assigning high-profile work, providing opportunities for snr mgt to know you, as well as giving due recognition and fighting for good grades/CEP.

Out of curiosity, are you from an economic- focused, security/defence-focused or social-focused ministry?

Unregistered 31-08-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55732)
I think it's for mx11 and mx10. Not sure about mx9.

I guess that the primary reason was probably they saw the need to split mx11 into mx11 and mx11a and wanted to do so without negative responses from the ground. Have to ensure that people are not pissed off by the creation of mx11a, which causes mx10 to seem harder to attain under the new system.

It's a little more justifiable if that's indeed the case.

Unregistered 04-09-2014 03:59 PM

Anyone know what is SSO in civil service?

Unregistered 04-09-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55938)
Anyone know what is SSO in civil service?

Senior Staff Officer