Compare civil service salary - Page 40 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Citibank Lazada Credit Card, Free $150 Lazada Vouchers* - Click to Apply Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #391 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 12:02 AM
diptograd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey guys

I'm currently a Dip holder working in a Div 2 position at a stat board. I joined this position about two years ago and started my part-time degree around the same time.

I'd be finishing my part-time degree in Feb/Mar 2011 (likely to get a Merit Degree from SIM RMIT) and the management at the stat board is keen to promote me to Div 1 and keep me here. I do enjoy the work (my job-scope is exactly the same as most Div 1 officers here) and I quite like the boss.

May I know what's the pay I should ask for? How's my chances of getting 15 ~ 20% more than what other fresh grads would get?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote
  #392 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 12:09 AM
diptograd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptograd View Post
Hey guys

I'm currently a Dip holder working in a Div 2 position at a stat board. I joined this position about two years ago and started my part-time degree around the same time.

I'd be finishing my part-time degree in Feb/Mar 2011 (likely to get a Merit Degree from SIM RMIT) and the management at the stat board is keen to promote me to Div 1 and keep me here. I do enjoy the work (my job-scope is exactly the same as most Div 1 officers here) and I quite like the boss.

May I know what's the pay I should ask for? How's my chances of getting 15 ~ 20% more than what other fresh grads would get?

Thank you.
Just to add - my reasons for asking for the extra 15 ~ 20% is because

- I have been a consistent good performer for the past two years, getting at least B+ for both years;
- I have been doing Div 1 work, ie, project management, leading teams/committees for both years;
- Nobody in my organisation really knows how to do what I do; and
- Most of my work is highly visible.

Reply With Quote
  #393 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know what's the quantum of performance bonus for an average performer in a Ministry (excluding growth bonus)?

Reply With Quote
  #394 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptograd View Post
Just to add - my reasons for asking for the extra 15 ~ 20% is because

- I have been a consistent good performer for the past two years, getting at least B+ for both years;
- I have been doing Div 1 work, ie, project management, leading teams/committees for both years;
- Nobody in my organisation really knows how to do what I do; and
- Most of my work is highly visible.
Hey there,

seeing you writing these really reminds me of what i am 8 years ago. The "ideas" i hope for with my additional paper certs. Sorry but let me break the sad news to you

1) Since you are being converted to div 1, it is highly unlikely they will ask you how much you want for your salary. Rather, you accept what is given to you.
2) it is shocking to see that you actually say NOBODY knows how to do your job in your department. it really implies your role is of little to no significance to the organization; nobody is required to know aka.
3) Your work is most likely highly visiable to yourself only. (seriously ask yourself how much do you know about what others in your department do?)
4) Your immed boss may like you but ultimately he / she is not paying your salary. HR has tons of policies regarding salaries etc. Most of which are not very favorable to upgraders.

2 years exp / fresh grad upgrade from poly. With more exp you will understand my words. Bottom line, try not to hope for much with the conversion to Div 1 in stats board
Reply With Quote
  #395 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

@diptograd - 15% to 20% higher than the average new fresh grad would be rather difficult. Given that you have only two years of work experience, HR can choose not to recognise them totally and you might likely be paid either as a fresh grad or only marginally better.
Reply With Quote
  #396 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 11:32 PM
diptograd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey there,

seeing you writing these really reminds me of what i am 8 years ago. The "ideas" i hope for with my additional paper certs. Sorry but let me break the sad news to you

1) Since you are being converted to div 1, it is highly unlikely they will ask you how much you want for your salary. Rather, you accept what is given to you.
2) it is shocking to see that you actually say NOBODY knows how to do your job in your department. it really implies your role is of little to no significance to the organization; nobody is required to know aka.
3) Your work is most likely highly visiable to yourself only. (seriously ask yourself how much do you know about what others in your department do?)
4) Your immed boss may like you but ultimately he / she is not paying your salary. HR has tons of policies regarding salaries etc. Most of which are not very favorable to upgraders.

2 years exp / fresh grad upgrade from poly. With more exp you will understand my words. Bottom line, try not to hope for much with the conversion to Div 1 in stats board
Hmm, what did they offer you and did you take up the offer?

Actually, just wanna clarify on two things:

On point 2: One of the things I'm doing, social media and traditional media analysis (like the value of the coverage on my organisation's news for eg) is quite new to the local comms field and I'm the only one with the skillset to do it currently. I'm not sure if its not significant, but I've been asked by management to do this more and more often.

On point 3: Not really accurate to say that its only visible to myself... I've presented to the management, board as well as have my work showcased at International events. I'll be leading a team to produce a video for my parent Ministry's Minister to present next year as well.
Reply With Quote

  #397 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2010, 05:15 AM
anotherdiptograd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

with your experience you can go into an agency and get much higher pay, rather than asking for a pittance of 15-20% pay raise
Reply With Quote
  #398 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptograd View Post
Hmm, what did they offer you and did you take up the offer?

Actually, just wanna clarify on two things:

On point 2: One of the things I'm doing, social media and traditional media analysis (like the value of the coverage on my organisation's news for eg) is quite new to the local comms field and I'm the only one with the skillset to do it currently. I'm not sure if its not significant, but I've been asked by management to do this more and more often.

On point 3: Not really accurate to say that its only visible to myself... I've presented to the management, board as well as have my work showcased at International events. I'll be leading a team to produce a video for my parent Ministry's Minister to present next year as well.
from my side of your view it seems like you're a top talent, the expert, the rare person who can get exceptional things done and of course i'll pay more to retain such a valued employee.

the sad truth - hr has just employed a top employee for their bang for bucks. all good work done by employees will have all credits given back to the ministry. to them, maybe you can save it as your portfolio for your future work. i'd rather leave the <sai kang> work to another dedicated person and then encourage him to train up and specialise in more <sai kang> work. when he leaves, all i need to do is to train up another employee to take over all his <sai kang>.

"In the meantime, i'll praise and keep him happy while he produces quality work which i prefer not to do and keep all the credits... hehehe "

from,
boss.
Reply With Quote
  #399 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default how much salary

Hi, i recently went for an interview for Human resource executive for one of the ministries.. anybody has any idea what is the expected pay? I was a former teacher for abt 6 yrs.

Btw, do they take so long to inform us the resukts? It has already been 2 weeks , when i last emailed them, they say still do not noe yet.. inefficient man... how long does it take in general for interview results to be known.
Reply With Quote
  #400 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, i recently went for an interview for Human resource executive for one of the ministries.. anybody has any idea what is the expected pay? I was a former teacher for abt 6 yrs.

Btw, do they take so long to inform us the resukts? It has already been 2 weeks , when i last emailed them, they say still do not noe yet.. inefficient man... how long does it take in general for interview results to be known.
can expect about 20% more than ur current salary. sometimes can be less, if HR deem that the current position is not similar to your current skillsets.

is there a closing application date? if not, perhaps in the mean time they are looking for better candidates. i'm sure the usual lines apply "successful candidates will be notified". don't keep your hopes too high, in the meantime continue your search.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,425 Replies, 2,576,883 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,282 Replies, 903,677 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,645 Replies, 1,597,945 Views
MFA- Foreign Service...
5 Replies, 234 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,063 Replies, 5,563,715 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,884 Replies, 1,079,257 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,285 Replies, 1,899,329 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,635 Replies, 263,697 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 144,520 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,675 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 585 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 3,307 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
383 Replies, 285,249 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
368 Replies, 249,189 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 11,946 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,173 Replies, 962,979 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 73,157 Views
Self-Employed in SG by Overseas...
2 Replies, 173 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,082 Replies, 497,332 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 794,491 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 208,414 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 2,559 Views
Job Search hacks ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,763 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,065 Replies, 1,283,215 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
107 Replies, 48,904 Views
FEE PE Exam ( Electrical )
2 Replies, 1,791 Views
React / Node JS Developer,...
0 Replies, 97 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 2,252 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2