Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-08-2014 03:08 PM

Just to check, for those on contract basis after a year, let's say they are confirmed after that, will there be an increment ?

Unregistered 07-08-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54318)
Aiya, you think really policy work meh? If you are in a ministry and non-scholar, most prob is arrange meetings, write minutes, collate info from stat boards or industry. Even if you are scholar also bo pao u do policy work ok? They need to determine if you have the higher level wtf policy thinking before letting you sniff a bit of policy work. All in all, policy work means write minutes and arrange so-called high level meetings. Book rooms la, set up projectors la, revise that PowerPoint slide for the zillionth times la. So many policy ppl here so u get Aku's idea la. U complain to management , they will tell u that u need to learn the higher level thinking from these meetings. so u keep quiet and learn. By the time u reached 3rd year, you forget how to speak up properly in meetings sia.

You in stat boards lagi jialat. Policy work confirm plus chop is arrange meetings and write minutes. Remember hor, when you write minutes must be in reported speech. No problem for that ah hiang who graduated with 2nd upper. His English must be powerful one. But Aku also find his pride a bit silly. Top ministry? Hmmmm, so he think he executive in top ministry very good hor?

Ha ha... I like your post, very humourous and reflective of the situation in local context.

But I guess being involved in high level meeting is a good start. All the top bosses are gathered there. A newbie starts off as a minion, but must remember to give intelligent comments at every opportunity. Also must take the chance to network and carry... Impress enough of the top bosses, and that's the way up, up, up...

Unregistered 07-08-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54350)
Ha ha... I like your post, very humourous and reflective of the situation in local context.

But I guess being involved in high level meeting is a good start. All the top bosses are gathered there. A newbie starts off as a minion, but must remember to give intelligent comments at every opportunity. Also must take the chance to network and carry... Impress enough of the top bosses, and that's the way up, up, up...

this is super hilarious. try it, and see whether you like it. you may enjoy arranging meetings and writing minutes. They can be quite fun but clearly super high stipend! When you get to DD level, you are paid roughly 10K. (DD also kenna minutes and press releases ok) But if you don't, jump ship soon, don't wait until 10 years later when you have no other skills aside writing minutes and arranging meetings.

Unregistered 09-08-2014 02:48 AM

7K as a R&D is not low unless you are in a high yielding manufacturing sector or unless Singapore produces Samsung, Sony to lead the pack. Wldn't say that I am very exp but 10 yrs in manufacturing gave me a gd idea. no matter what mgt will always earn more than the rest. By the way CS papers are not sec sch papers. I have written tech papers and CS papers. Both are equally difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54320)
u r right abt a star.it is generally acknowledged as lower paid than private sector research. but compensated with stable money therefore slightly less streessful life. but still IMO way harder job than 90% job in civil service. we do need to come out with paper/patent stuff to meet kpi, and those not like those report that a secondary school kid can write already.

$7k for phd+9years is quite weak actually from private company r&d pespective. just think abt it, NUS/NTU hiresvfresh phd+2years post doc as assist. prof. with $7k. I can only guess the positiion not that demanding in terms of technical stuff thus probably offer according what the job needs instead of candidate portfolio.

btw: just check previous posts, many in civil service take $7k with only degree and <7years in their early 30s

Unregistered 09-08-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54318)
Aiya, you think really policy work meh? If you are in a ministry and non-scholar, most prob is arrange meetings, write minutes, collate info from stat boards or industry. Even if you are scholar also bo pao u do policy work ok? They need to determine if you have the higher level wtf policy thinking before letting you sniff a bit of policy work. All in all, policy work means write minutes and arrange so-called high level meetings. Book rooms la, set up projectors la, revise that PowerPoint slide for the zillionth times la. So many policy ppl here so u get Aku's idea la. U complain to management , they will tell u that u need to learn the higher level thinking from these meetings. so u keep quiet and learn. By the time u reached 3rd year, you forget how to speak up properly in meetings sia.

You in stat boards lagi jialat. Policy work confirm plus chop is arrange meetings and write minutes. Remember hor, when you write minutes must be in reported speech. No problem for that ah hiang who graduated with 2nd upper. His English must be powerful one. But Aku also find his pride a bit silly. Top ministry? Hmmmm, so he think he executive in top ministry very good hor?

Just to allow for an alternative perspective - I was in a SB's Policy Division when I first graduated from college, and it is not true that fresh hires will be stuck in secretariat-like work. No doubt as a fresh hire one would have to take the initiative for such work, but I also had the chance to partake in actual work such as the drafting of papers. Policy work has a lot to do with writing, and such work can go back and forth between divisions within the SB itself or other agencies. For instance, amendment to a single clause in an Act would require ample input from various divisions and agencies, justification and clearance in a form of a paper. You also have to be comfortable defending views from other divisions and agencies. Such papers more often than not also require multiple amendments. Sounds tedious, but it makes sense. It is ludicrous to think that refinement of policies can be done in a jiffy - such is the nature of Policy work in civil service

But I digress.

I cannot speak for ministries, but what I can share from my experience in a SB that fresh hires do get exposure to actual work in Policy. It is not just the arrangement of meetings and minute-taking. And while the experience in Policy might not be that transferable outside of CS, it is valuable within the CS. Colleagues in Policy have ample opportunities to be seconded to other agencies. Likewise, large corporations sometimes have divisions that specialize in maintaining relations and etc. with the government. That remains an option for individuals in Policy as well.

Hope this helps others who are thinking of a career in Policy or related divisions within the CS.

Unregistered 09-08-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54432)
Just to allow for an alternative perspective - I was in a SB's Policy Division when I first graduated from college, and it is not true that fresh hires will be stuck in secretariat-like work. No doubt as a fresh hire one would have to take the initiative for such work, but I also had the chance to partake in actual work such as the drafting of papers. Policy work has a lot to do with writing, and such work can go back and forth between divisions within the SB itself or other agencies. For instance, amendment to a single clause in an Act would require ample input from various divisions and agencies, justification and clearance in a form of a paper. You also have to be comfortable defending views from other divisions and agencies. Such papers more often than not also require multiple amendments. Sounds tedious, but it makes sense. It is ludicrous to think that refinement of policies can be done in a jiffy - such is the nature of Policy work in civil service

But I digress.

I cannot speak for ministries, but what I can share from my experience in a SB that fresh hires do get exposure to actual work in Policy. It is not just the arrangement of meetings and minute-taking. And while the experience in Policy might not be that transferable outside of CS, it is valuable within the CS. Colleagues in Policy have ample opportunities to be seconded to other agencies. Likewise, large corporations sometimes have divisions that specialize in maintaining relations and etc. with the government. That remains an option for individuals in Policy as well.

Hope this helps others who are thinking of a career in Policy or related divisions within the CS.

lol. just try lah. u either like it or hate it. it is very clear after 1 year. dun have to worry too much about the long term. still beri young.

Unregistered 11-08-2014 10:58 PM

Anyone's SB don't have the mid year adjustment? Seems like the MTI SBs don't have them...

Unregistered 11-08-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54547)
Anyone's SB don't have the mid year adjustment? Seems like the MTI SBs don't have them...

From MND sb here, no news either.

Unregistered 11-08-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54549)

Did you check with your HR? My HR tells me that they do not follow the civil service and the pay range is above the norms. This is so not true, my relatives at a big MOT sb already got their adjustment.

rollbread 11-08-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54549)

From mnd sb too, just check this month payslip but nothing. :(