Compare civil service salary - Page 371 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3701 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?


Cheers & Thanks!
If you had joined the stat board 6 years back.. Your salary you could be drawing now could be much much more already.

Reply With Quote
  #3702 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wah 55k total? That's like 4k a month? N u got a master?? Ur coy really exploiting u to the max... Plz move on quickly

Reply With Quote
  #3703 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
name_less_user is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you had joined the stat board 6 years back.. Your salary you could be drawing now could be much much more already.
I wanted to practise what I've learned from my years of engineering training, which explained why I did not take up the statutory board offer at that instance.

Looking back, the whole episode made me a more resilient and composed individual. I've enjoyed the joys of working in a cohesive team and participated in stimulating technology development projects.

But I unreservedly agree with you that I suffered a financial penalty for my decision. Nonetheless, I've to ultimately put food on the table and a tenure beyond my bond with the company is unsustainable.

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on my queries?
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?

Reply With Quote
  #3704 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
name_less_user is on a distinguished road
Default

Updated my NS status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

- Completed 2.5 years NS.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?


Cheers & Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #3705 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
name_less_user is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wah 55k total? That's like 4k a month? N u got a master?? Ur coy really exploiting u to the max... Plz move on quickly
Thank you for affirming my assessment of the situation. I don't mean to air my grievances here but my predicament did not end with the unfair salary.

I experienced my first pay cut before my first increment, had my wages frozen due to market conditions, had bosses and HR not recognise my background and aptitude, had an ill managed career path, had multiple bosses who deserted the team at the first hint of unfavourable conditions and was subjected to a corporate culture that does not reward for performance and potential. The company was making losses and failed to provide a clear outlook on the future of the organisation.

I held on for one thing and one thing only - I honour my scholarship liabilities and feel a deep sense of accountability to the taxpayers and statutory board who had faith in my abilities.

Now that I've dutifully completed my bond, you're right - it is indeed time to move on.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #3706 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Glad to hear that you are moving on. Which UK university did you study in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Thank you for affirming my assessment of the situation. I don't mean to air my grievances here but my predicament did not end with the unfair salary.

I experienced my first pay cut before my first increment, had my wages frozen due to market conditions, had bosses and HR not recognise my background and aptitude, had an ill managed career path, had multiple bosses who deserted the team at the first hint of unfavourable conditions and was subjected to a corporate culture that does not reward for performance and potential. The company was making losses and failed to provide a clear outlook on the future of the organisation.

I held on for one thing and one thing only - I honour my scholarship liabilities and feel a deep sense of accountability to the taxpayers and statutory board who had faith in my abilities.

Now that I've dutifully completed my bond, you're right - it is indeed time to move on.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote

  #3707 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
name_less_user is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Glad to hear that you are moving on. Which UK university did you study in?
I obtained my first degree at the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology (UMIST) in the UK. It is now known as the University of Manchester following a merger exercise sometime in 2005/2006.

Turned down offers from more prestigious universities such as Imperial College as what UMIST had to offer complemented my learning aspirations better. Thankful that it was fully supported by my sponsors as it was ranked one of the top few universities in the UK in my chosen area of studies.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3708 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

dunno wat pay u can expect as a mid-career entrant... but even a fresh grad with first class in engineering related position can easily get a low 4k per month + AWS + bonus.

with ur masters n years of experience... any offer they give will definitely be much higher than wat ur current coy is paying.
Reply With Quote
  #3709 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?


Cheers & Thanks!
You could really get a much better package in public service. However, would recommend you to go for jobs which is relevant to your experience (engineering) instead of something new like policy formulation, OD (your past experience would be worthless). Examples of Govt Agencies which requires engineering background include DSTA, DSO, ASTAR, LTA etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3710 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Actually a lot of you here are wrong.

Because UK engineering degrees are only 3 years, graduates from UK universities must take 1-year masters degree before being recognised by the engineering board here in singapore. Technically, on an engineering standpoint, an engineering masters from the UK is actually equivalent to an honours engineering degree here in SG. Well, this is true as of now, not sure what it was like 6-7 years ago.

Even if your bachelors was from UCL or ICL, the PEB here will still not recognise you as an accredited engineer, because they feel that the short 3-year curriculum is not substantial enough to call yourself an engineer. The 4 year degrees here by NUS/NTU actually cover more and hence, is equivalent to a masters in UK. The masters degree that is undertaken in the UK is also merely coursework. So its quite like a 4th year here under NUS/NTU.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 743 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,295 Replies, 1,462,156 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,447 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program
9 Replies, 744 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,089 Replies, 5,267,034 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,949 Replies, 2,178,380 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 7,175 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
243 Replies, 72,833 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 324,255 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 79,319 Views
No progression in civil service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 20,483 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,571 Replies, 1,213,797 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,643,088 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency...
5 Replies, 566 Views
is computer science a good choice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 887 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 13,305 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 11,321 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,675 Replies, 1,008,943 Views
Apple background check hireright
9 Replies, 499 Views
Apple Grading Analyst - Siri
0 Replies, 109 Views
Anyone heard of being a ship... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 172,061 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
390 Replies, 68,856 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 120,130 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,080 Replies, 842,004 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,966 Replies, 1,796,277 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
853 Replies, 428,770 Views
Hotel Line Salary
5 Replies, 1,382 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,842 Replies, 866,722 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,881 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2