Compare civil service salary - Page 331 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3301 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Having $1K allowance is amazing.....

Can share what kind of allowance is that? I can only think of overseas full-sub if you're travelling frequently. I know of one ministry where their IT officers travel very often but you would be already a stat board employee seconded to ministry??
If my guessing on your allowance is correct, then some of us may be able to advise better. Can understand why you get only C when your boss can hardly see you and your works etc...



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3302 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Erm a few hundred only la, not 1k. Before allowance is low 6k, after allowance is high 6k. Allowance for doing additional technical research projects besides core work

Reply With Quote
  #3303 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Erm a few hundred only la, not 1k. Before allowance is low 6k, after allowance is high 6k. Allowance for doing additional technical research projects besides core work
Even with $500-800 allowance is still amazing, esp when technical research projects are considered part of "core works" for many IT officers?

The next best allowance besides overseas would be foreign languages at $150-$500 monthly. The rarer it is, the higher. But you need to acquire and maintain A level equivalent in proficiency for that language.

If it's true, also can understand better now. Although you may be putting in more hours due to the projects, you're already compensated with such allowances. Compared to another officer without such allowances, his boss can justify better for his higher CEP and performance.

Reply With Quote
  #3304 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Even with $500-800 allowance is still amazing, esp when technical research projects are considered part of "core works" for many IT officers?

The next best allowance besides overseas would be foreign languages at $150-$500 monthly. The rarer it is, the higher. But you need to acquire and maintain A level equivalent in proficiency for that language.

If it's true, also can understand better now. Although you may be putting in more hours due to the projects, you're already compensated with such allowances. Compared to another officer without such allowances, his boss can justify better for his higher CEP and performance.
The issue is at my current pay grade, most of the other officers are 1-2 appointments higher than me. So when it comes to ranking, it is extremely difficult to fight for a B grade even if I do a lot. And I tried v hard to fight for a higher appointment but my manager explicitly said it won't come so soon. So if everything remains the way it were, I would "hentakaki" at this pay grade for a very long time. That was why I was even willing to consider a switch to the stat board despite the pay cut
Reply With Quote
  #3305 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The issue is at my current pay grade, most of the other officers are 1-2 appointments higher than me. So when it comes to ranking, it is extremely difficult to fight for a B grade even if I do a lot. And I tried v hard to fight for a higher appointment but my manager explicitly said it won't come so soon. So if everything remains the way it were, I would "hentakaki" at this pay grade for a very long time. That was why I was even willing to consider a switch to the stat board despite the pay cut
You've already answered your own question. Since it's brighter at the other side and the cut is not really that significant, by all means!
Reply With Quote
  #3306 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The issue is at my current pay grade, most of the other officers are 1-2 appointments higher than me. So when it comes to ranking, it is extremely difficult to fight for a B grade even if I do a lot. And I tried v hard to fight for a higher appointment but my manager explicitly said it won't come so soon. So if everything remains the way it were, I would "hentakaki" at this pay grade for a very long time. That was why I was even willing to consider a switch to the stat board despite the pay cut
Sometimes it just seems like the grass is greener on the other side. While it sucks to have your colleagues 1-2 appointments higher than you, do bear in mind that it's just a matter of time before it's your turn. One thing I've learnt is that if you do stay long enough, your promotions will get faster and faster, even though your first 2 promotions may take years.

Overall, you may exceed your colleagues 5 years down the road. Especially if they start leaving the ministry before you do.
Reply With Quote

  #3307 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sometimes it just seems like the grass is greener on the other side. While it sucks to have your colleagues 1-2 appointments higher than you, do bear in mind that it's just a matter of time before it's your turn. One thing I've learnt is that if you do stay long enough, your promotions will get faster and faster, even though your first 2 promotions may take years.

Overall, you may exceed your colleagues 5 years down the road. Especially if they start leaving the ministry before you do.
If what i understood is correct, the appointment promotion depends very much on CEP. And more and more people are being promoted into my current job grade. So its a very fierce fight, and usually those with appointments will be ranked better. I don't see many people leaving the ministry cause most likely will suffer a pay cut, unless they get into IT in banks.
Reply With Quote
  #3308 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
currently working in a ministry with close to 7k(basic low 6k+allowances) doing IT work for 6.5 years
But not really satisfied with job scope and career progression
been getting C every year since the last promotion 2 years ago

applied to another stat board to do IT work which matches the job scope i keen on but their HR asked if i willing to accept pay cut to below 6k.

Should I stay or go?
I think its extremely hard to get promoted in current ministry as too many "tigers and dragons" But getting a pay cut of almost 1k, especially if its just transition from ministry to stat board sounds like a real bad deal; its like a demotion in 1 grade

Also, does CEP reset if i move over from ministry to stat board(stat board's belongs to a different ministry)

In short i keen to improve my job satisfaction and CEP, but the pay cut is a huge deterring factor. At worst i just willing to forgo my allowance and maintain my current basic.
May i ask which ministry are you from? Mindef?
Reply With Quote
  #3309 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sometimes it just seems like the grass is greener on the other side. While it sucks to have your colleagues 1-2 appointments higher than you, do bear in mind that it's just a matter of time before it's your turn. One thing I've learnt is that if you do stay long enough, your promotions will get faster and faster, even though your first 2 promotions may take years.

Overall, you may exceed your colleagues 5 years down the road. Especially if they start leaving the ministry before you do.
This is not necessary true. CEP still determines your pace of progression. If your bosses deem that you are of low potential, even if your peers have all left, those newer & younger officers would overtake you (as old bird) eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #3310 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
May i ask which ministry are you from? Mindef?
My guess is M*D within that ministry. The "amazing" allowance should be related to the rotating shifts.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,240 Replies, 2,747,376 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
619 Replies, 462,119 Views
Q: Big 4 Hiring Status
0 Replies, 17 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 4,143 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
864 Replies, 448,167 Views
What course should I undertake?
9 Replies, 4,388 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,734 Replies, 1,648,536 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
990 Replies, 771,592 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
724 Replies, 221,312 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 17,293 Views
Advantages
2 Replies, 1,009 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 120,941 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
7 Replies, 454 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,343 Replies, 5,676,468 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,289 Replies, 1,006,668 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,832 Replies, 283,783 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 34,617 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,637 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,953 Replies, 3,760,372 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 3,020 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 27,372 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,346 Replies, 1,936,607 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
410 Replies, 296,172 Views
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,973 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,104,065 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 92,022 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 565 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 71,489 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2