Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 16-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
he is spending effort to prepare for an interview and that is a considered as a low quality worker? nice logic.
To be honest that's akin to playing cheat. Try asking your teacher for questions to the exams and see if you'll get it?

Old 16-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this poster should have just shut up if he/she has nothing better to say.
I think the poster has said something worth thinking. Getting your way by cheating only shows how "good" you are. There is nothing wrong with asking generic tips for interview, but by asking what questions and what to expect for a specific interview is nothing short of cheating. It's like telling the world "Damn I want it badly but I'm afraid I'm not good enough to score, so those who know please tell me".

Really just shows how much caliber the person has isn't it?

Old 16-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

How did asking to know what interviewers would ask (even specific ones) become cheating? Did the interviewers tell the interviewees not to divulge the questions to others? Did the interviewees sign any NDA (non disclosure agreement) with the interviewers? If none of the above occurs, then there is nothing wrong for prospective interviewees to ask and nothing wrong for past interviewees to share.

The line is drawn however if the prospective interviewee also asked how to answer the questions. Then they are not using their own thought process and knowledge in tackling the questions.

For my company, our questions to the interviewee (after the usual generic ones) are very technical in nature. They have to know their stuff otherwise their ignorance will be exposed easily. So in this case, if they did their homework and asked what questions will be asked, they would still need to do reading up, polishing up their knowledge and fundamentals.

Quote:
I think the poster has said something worth thinking. Getting your way by cheating only shows how "good" you are. There is nothing wrong with asking generic tips for interview, but by asking what questions and what to expect for a specific interview is nothing short of cheating. It's like telling the world "Damn I want it badly but I'm afraid I'm not good enough to score, so those who know please tell me".

Really just shows how much caliber the person has isn't it?

Old 16-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Got offer from ministry.

3 years working experience in private sector.
Ministry offering - 4.4k

Do you think it's ok? I am 29 this year.
Old 17-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Diploma holder, 26yrs 5.55k no bonus, fixed bonus bring monthly gross to 6.9.. good?
Old 17-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

The pay is only part of the story. The other important factors are whether the job scope is meaningful/fulfilling or not, prospect for career progression, work life balance and working environment.

Often people jumped into a higher paying job only to resign a year or less later.

Sometimes if you think longer term, a person would be better off working in a stable job (eg Civil Service) but with lower pay than in a higher paying one, but with lots of stress and uncertainty.

At the end of one's working life, the civil servant would probably earn and accumulate more than the guy working in the private sector (especially when the guy in the private sector has to jump ship now and then). That's what I observed from my cohort of close friends graduating from the Uni in early 80. Those of us who joined the Civil Service upon graduation are still with the Service although not in original departments or agency - that's a good 30+ years with the same employer! Now that the retirement age has been raised to 62, that's another 6-7 years for us to work at our job. Not sure how many in the private sector can have this confidence.

Very few who worked in the private sector are still with the same company. Yes, 2 or 3 did very well to join the top management of the Companies they worked in. Others by now are into their "retirement" careers like financial advisors, property agents and stock brokers.

My point is, consider other factors, not just pay in your career choice. That high starting pay may not be sustainable. Imagine having to start over at a new company at 40 (if you are lucky to get another job), while your friends in the Civil Service are moving up in their careers.

Quote:
Diploma holder, 26yrs 5.55k no bonus, fixed bonus bring monthly gross to 6.9.. good?

Old 17-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The pay is only part of the story. The other important factors are whether the job scope is meaningful/fulfilling or not, prospect for career progression, work life balance and working environment.

Often people jumped into a higher paying job only to resign a year or less later.

Sometimes if you think longer term, a person would be better off working in a stable job (eg Civil Service) but with lower pay than in a higher paying one, but with lots of stress and uncertainty.

At the end of one's working life, the civil servant would probably earn and accumulate more than the guy working in the private sector (especially when the guy in the private sector has to jump ship now and then). That's what I observed from my cohort of close friends graduating from the Uni in early 80. Those of us who joined the Civil Service upon graduation are still with the Service although not in original departments or agency - that's a good 30+ years with the same employer! Now that the retirement age has been raised to 62, that's another 6-7 years for us to work at our job. Not sure how many in the private sector can have this confidence.

Very few who worked in the private sector are still with the same company. Yes, 2 or 3 did very well to join the top management of the Companies they worked in. Others by now are into their "retirement" careers like financial advisors, property agents and stock brokers.

My point is, consider other factors, not just pay in your career choice. That high starting pay may not be sustainable. Imagine having to start over at a new company at 40 (if you are lucky to get another job), while your friends in the Civil Service are moving up in their careers.
I think what you said makes alot of sense and it is the reality that's happening on the ground in Singapore nowadays. That's why you see a surge of mid-careers attempting to join the public sector, and most of them are willing to take a pay-cut of 20% even. That's how work-life balance and job stability matters when you're in your 40s.

If you're those ambitious few who aspire to be multi-millionaires, of course public sector is a no-no for you. At the end of the day, what do you see yourself doing when you're in your 50s? Of course there are those who retire at 40s, having earned millions by slogging it out in the private sector. Are you those few?
Old 17-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Got offer from ministry.

3 years working experience in private sector.
Ministry offering - 4.4k

Do you think it's ok? I am 29 this year.
Rather than focus on the salary, focus on the scheme. I assume you'll be under the MX scheme, so which scale are they offering you?

Overall, 4.4k for 3 years work experience in private sector is reasonable as entry level for fresh grad is around 3.6k. Though try for 4.5k, as I think most agencies always put a buffer of 100 more for such cases.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

I think for a couple (say both grads) becoming (multi) millionaires in their lifetime working in the public sector is a reality nowadays. The government has removed most of pension schemes and in its place pay more competitive salaries. What more if they moved up the ranks to hit superscale grades. Even without hitting the superscale grades, a grad couple in the Civil Service can easily bring home combined income of >$200k pa at 40 - 45? By 55, they could be seeing $300k - $350k pa? I know of teacher couples earning > $300k pa (combined) by 50. Those with professional degrees like law (in legal department) and engineers could be earning more! Most are staying in private properties.

Quote:
I think what you said makes alot of sense and it is the reality that's happening on the ground in Singapore nowadays. That's why you see a surge of mid-careers attempting to join the public sector, and most of them are willing to take a pay-cut of 20% even. That's how work-life balance and job stability matters when you're in your 40s.

If you're those ambitious few who aspire to be multi-millionaires, of course public sector is a no-no for you. At the end of the day, what do you see yourself doing when you're in your 50s? Of course there are those who retire at 40s, having earned millions by slogging it out in the private sector. Are you those few?
Old 17-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Rather than focus on the salary, focus on the scheme. I assume you'll be under the MX scheme, so which scale are they offering you?

Overall, 4.4k for 3 years work experience in private sector is reasonable as entry level for fresh grad is around 3.6k. Though try for 4.5k, as I think most agencies always put a buffer of 100 more for such cases.
are you sure fresh grad commands around 3.6k? that's prob 1st class males with NS