Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 19-08-2013 09:18 PM

Public school admin manager

Is being a school admin manager in a local public school a very stressful job ?

Alot of complains from parents ?

Handle many accounts/funds ?

goaswind 23-08-2013 12:58 PM

Me

Hi below is my salary growth. I am the slow grower here.

Graduate from Australia with Normal Degree in Economics no honours

Start work Aug 2009: S$2640
Aug 2010: S$2895
Aug 2011: S$3027
Aug 2012: S$3423
Aug 2013: S$4167

Dean 23-08-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goaswind (Post 41545)
Hi below is my salary growth. I am the slow grower here.

Graduate from Australia with Normal Degree in Economics no honours

Start work Aug 2009: S$2640
Aug 2010: S$2895
Aug 2011: S$3027
Aug 2012: S$3423
Aug 2013: S$4167

That's not bad. Your salary has grown almost 50% in just 4 years. Faster than mine for sure.

rubberbus 23-08-2013 09:53 PM

is civil service sector better than ptd sector?

what are career choices for engineering student?

Unregistered 24-08-2013 09:21 AM

Your questions are too broad, because you will get positive answers from people who thrive in the civil service and likewise from those who thrive in the pte sector environment. Meaning you will be back to square one.

To get answers specific to your situation, you need to let readers here know what your preferences are, your character, your interest, ambition etc..

Below are some leading questions to help you:

1. Is earning big bucks more important to you than worklife balance and job stability?
2. Are you good / thrive in a rule based environment or one where you have more freedom but with more risks?
3. Do you like meeting with people?
4. Are you a political animal?
5. Can you handle long overseas assignment?
6. Do you prefer to be the customer (read civil service) or the contractor (read pte sector)?
7. Do you prefer to be the one coming up with rules than to be the ones having to meet them?

I come across many young people like yourself who do not know what they want, so they asked general questions leading to nowhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberbus (Post 41557)
is civil service sector better than ptd sector?

what are career choices for engineering student?

rubberbus 24-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41573)
Your questions are too broad, because you will get positive answers from people who thrive in the civil service and likewise from those who thrive in the pte sector environment. Meaning you will be back to square one.

To get answers specific to your situation, you need to let readers here know what your preferences are, your character, your interest, ambition etc..

I come across many young people like yourself who do not know what they want, so they asked general questions leading to nowhere.

Thank you very much for your help! you are right. I really don't know what I want. kind of lost.

1. Is earning big bucks more important to you than worklife balance and job stability?
This is a tough choice! I guess I will choose earning big bucks!

2. Are you good / thrive in a rule based environment or one where you have more freedom but with more risks?
No idea abt this Q.

Not really. Most of the time I feel awkward.

No.

Yes.

6. Do you prefer to be the customer (read civil service) or the contractor (read pte sector)?
No preference.

7. Do you prefer to be the one coming up with rules than to be the ones having to meet them?
I will prefer to the one coming up with the rules.

Unregistered 24-08-2013 11:33 AM

Haha, your answers are normal/typical I guess - the kind of work and the environment you want or don't want will be clearer when you have a taste of them.

I will tag the employment environment to your answers below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberbus (Post 41574)
Thank you very much for your help! you are right. I really don't know what I want. kind of lost.

This is a tough choice! I guess I will choose earning big bucks!
You want big bucks - go join the pte sector. Even govt linked companies pay much much better to their top performers/management than our top civil servant earn. Easy decision here.

No idea abt this Q.
Eg. here would the uniformed service. There are more rules to adhere to, but pay is generally higher. The civil service also have a lot of rules to follow eg in contract awards, procurement processes etc..Some people like this kind of environment.

Not really. Most of the time I feel awkward.
Hmm, this can be cultivated. But if you are really introverted, then civil service environment may be better for you.

No.
Again civil service may have less of this.

Yes.
Both civil service and pte sector have opportunities.

No preference.
Take it from me, the customer is always the better position.

I will prefer to the one coming up with the rules.

To be the one laying down the rules, you would have to be in HQ or management position. But by and large, the civil service are the ones coming up with policies and guidelines.

rubberbus 24-08-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41576)
Haha, your answers are normal/typical I guess - the kind of work and the environment you want or don't want will be clearer when you have a taste of them.

I will tag the employment environment to your answers below:

To be the one laying down the rules, you would have to be in HQ or management position. But by and large, the civil service are the ones coming up with policies and guidelines.

Thank you for your reply!

Seems like ptd sector is better.

I will be specializing in power concentration in NTU EEE.
Do you have any ptd company to recommend?

Unregistered 24-08-2013 07:34 PM

Hi, may I know if anyone here has a statistics background and is doing statistical work in the public sector?

Unregistered 24-08-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41583)
Hi, may I know if anyone here has a statistics background and is doing statistical work in the public sector?

my brother has a first class degree in mathematics and is working for EMA. pay sucks though.. $2500 and has only 7 days annual leave.