Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

I just received a letter telling me that I have crossed the salary bar. What does it mean har?
seriously? where did you graduate from?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

Upon graduation from university, a lot of fresh graduates are hesitant to seek employment with the civil service. Many of my friends, including me myself felt the same way. The perception of civil service is that their promotion system is based very much on tenure or how close you are to the salary cap. Many of us know that there are salary bars that every officers have to close in to before you can be considered for promotion. For example, if the salary cap is $5,000 for your grade and you are currently drawing a $3,000 paycheck, you know that it is almost impossible for you to be promoted to the next grade given the salary difference of $2,000. Only after several years of drawing merit increments (maybe $100 - $200 per year? I am not so sure), and nearing the salary cap of $5,000 then you can be considered for promotion.

With such a system, it is difficult for any staff to work hard because they intuitively know that hard work in the first few years do not pay off. Compound onto this problem is the issue of getting an average grade for the first year; that is no matter how hard you work or excellent results achieved, you still get an average grade. Your assessment only starts in the second year. This definitely seals the thinking that it is useless to work hard in the first year of your career, but it is the formative years that the staff forms an impression of the civil service and decides if it really is the right place to stay on.

Politics in civil service is another serious issue. Think about this; Babyboomers fills up the civil service boardrooms and probably held the management positions for at least two decades. Generation X civil servant probably also served this batch of Babyboomers for donkey years, waiting for them to vacate the seats someday so that their days of writing/ vetting minutes finally come to a close. I estimated that this batch of Generation X probably endured in the civil service for at least a decade too. not to mentioned that the Generation X also have to compete extremely aggressively among themselves (stealthily throwing daggers at each others' backs). And then... Hello and welcome to the Generation Ys! Young mavericks armed with array of digital "weapons" and knowledge, thinking that this is a world for those who produces results! They stepped into the civil service and are shocked by the culture and the people entrenched in this system. They find out that this place ain't somewhere that you can perform and holla out your credits. As the saying goes "The protruded nail gets hammered down" and real hard too.

Given such a system, what will be your character twenty years down the road? A dog with its tail between its legs? Sometimes I really pity the civil servants. Why? These people are really bright and capable but what do you expect them to do? They need to work within the system and stay low.

The world is changing. To make a difference and enjoy a flourishing career, you cannot be having a generalist's mindset. It is about having a skill that is demanded by the market. It is about having the ability to produce. I admire the baker who is able to bake a table of mouth-watering pastries. I admire the writer who is able to write chart-topping novels. I admire the marketer who is able to produce eye-catching advertisements. The list goes on... If our country is akin to a bank. The front-office is the private sector while the civil/ public sector is the backroom office providing support to the front office staff.

Life is short. While young, understand the need to "produce". Live strong.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

hai!!

can we just get the number now????

MX13 to MX12 - $ ????
MI for MX12s (C grade) - $ ????
MI for MX12s (B grade) - $ ????
MX12 to MX11 - $ ????
MI for MX11s (C grade) - $ ????
MI for MX11s (B grade) - $ ????

Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
2008: C
2009: B
2010: B
2011: C
2012: B
2013: C

So now 6.1k at 31 years old lor.... just a bit shy of 100k/annum (if one takes into account average bonuses).
Not impossible, but you cannot be merely "average" to achieve this. For ref, I am at 5.7k as a 30 year old.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not impossible, but you cannot be merely "average" to achieve this. For ref, I am at 5.7k as a 30 year old.
ministry or stat board? MX scheme?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I wont believe what this forumer wrote. I have been working in one of the ministries for the past 4 years and I know that an officer cannot get a B grade for performance in the year following his/her promotion. MX12 is a grade where the officers will spend around 3-5 years. What is this forumer trying to do?
Not true. from where i am, there are male officers who jump from MX13 > MX12 > MX 11 in 1.5 to 2 years. Perform relatively well but not exactly scholar material too. and the mx13 > mx12 is standard 1 year confirmation, so technically the next leap only took them 0.5 to 1 year. Sounds too good to be true yes, but it's true.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
you stuck at the same grade for very long liao issit.
About 3 years. So it means got chance for promotin or not?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
ministry or stat board? MX scheme?
MX. Non-scholar farmer, 2nd upper honours.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

unless there is written approval from Perm Sec.

Otherwise, this is just crap.

C'mon.

Quote:
Not true. from where i am, there are male officers who jump from MX13 > MX12 > MX 11 in 1.5 to 2 years. Perform relatively well but not exactly scholar material too. and the mx13 > mx12 is standard 1 year confirmation, so technically the next leap only took them 0.5 to 1 year. Sounds too good to be true yes, but it's true.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

wah piang...dont like then dont join civil service lah. Write so much for what

Quote:
Upon graduation from university, a lot of fresh graduates are hesitant to seek employment with the civil service. Many of my friends, including me myself felt the same way. The perception of civil service is that their promotion system is based very much on tenure or how close you are to the salary cap. Many of us know that there are salary bars that every officers have to close in to before you can be considered for promotion. For example, if the salary cap is $5,000 for your grade and you are currently drawing a $3,000 paycheck, you know that it is almost impossible for you to be promoted to the next grade given the salary difference of $2,000. Only after several years of drawing merit increments (maybe $100 - $200 per year? I am not so sure), and nearing the salary cap of $5,000 then you can be considered for promotion.

With such a system, it is difficult for any staff to work hard because they intuitively know that hard work in the first few years do not pay off. Compound onto this problem is the issue of getting an average grade for the first year; that is no matter how hard you work or excellent results achieved, you still get an average grade. Your assessment only starts in the second year. This definitely seals the thinking that it is useless to work hard in the first year of your career, but it is the formative years that the staff forms an impression of the civil service and decides if it really is the right place to stay on.

Politics in civil service is another serious issue. Think about this; Babyboomers fills up the civil service boardrooms and probably held the management positions for at least two decades. Generation X civil servant probably also served this batch of Babyboomers for donkey years, waiting for them to vacate the seats someday so that their days of writing/ vetting minutes finally come to a close. I estimated that this batch of Generation X probably endured in the civil service for at least a decade too. not to mentioned that the Generation X also have to compete extremely aggressively among themselves (stealthily throwing daggers at each others' backs). And then... Hello and welcome to the Generation Ys! Young mavericks armed with array of digital "weapons" and knowledge, thinking that this is a world for those who produces results! They stepped into the civil service and are shocked by the culture and the people entrenched in this system. They find out that this place ain't somewhere that you can perform and holla out your credits. As the saying goes "The protruded nail gets hammered down" and real hard too.

Given such a system, what will be your character twenty years down the road? A dog with its tail between its legs? Sometimes I really pity the civil servants. Why? These people are really bright and capable but what do you expect them to do? They need to work within the system and stay low.

The world is changing. To make a difference and enjoy a flourishing career, you cannot be having a generalist's mindset. It is about having a skill that is demanded by the market. It is about having the ability to produce. I admire the baker who is able to bake a table of mouth-watering pastries. I admire the writer who is able to write chart-topping novels. I admire the marketer who is able to produce eye-catching advertisements. The list goes on... If our country is akin to a bank. The front-office is the private sector while the civil/ public sector is the backroom office providing support to the front office staff.

Life is short. While young, understand the need to "produce". Live strong.