Compare civil service salary - Page 260 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2591 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, would like to you how you find your job scope to understand life as a civil servant. Is it mundane and repetitive?
i personally find my job quite interesting. basically you are in charge of a few areas of responsibilities in your portfolio, and you deal with policy recommendations and proposals in that portfolio. for e.g. you might identify a gap in the current policy for xx area, and you can staff up a paper for discussion and subsequent implementation. You must be ready to defend your recommendations though! You might also have to react quickly to emergency situations and think on your feet (e.g. calls from your bosses at 1am) . You get to go for inter-agency meetings (this is both good and bad) and staff your bosses on calls/trips. you also go for seminars and courses to strengthen your knowledge in the area.

of course, not everything is rosy. There are mundane stuff like minutes writing, preparing logistics for calls, looking at legislation etc etc. working with slow colleagues can also get frustrating, or when you get bogged by red tape. but i guess every job has its goods and bads, just that we need to be okay with it.

Reply With Quote
  #2592 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi,

im going for a second round interview with iras soon. just wanted to see if anybody here knows what I should expect for the interview. thanks in advance!

and just a rough gauge, how much should i be expecting if i have a 1st class honors and served NS?

and how is the career progression like?

thanks for the help!!!

Reply With Quote
  #2593 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

does anyone already know the annual salary increment / promotion increments for civil servants for this year already? If so, can share the details? tks.

Reply With Quote
  #2594 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

search this thread. there are loads of information in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
does anyone already know the annual salary increment / promotion increments for civil servants for this year already? If so, can share the details? tks.
Reply With Quote
  #2595 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i personally find my job quite interesting. basically you are in charge of a few areas of responsibilities in your portfolio, and you deal with policy recommendations and proposals in that portfolio. for e.g. you might identify a gap in the current policy for xx area, and you can staff up a paper for discussion and subsequent implementation. You must be ready to defend your recommendations though! You might also have to react quickly to emergency situations and think on your feet (e.g. calls from your bosses at 1am) . You get to go for inter-agency meetings (this is both good and bad) and staff your bosses on calls/trips. you also go for seminars and courses to strengthen your knowledge in the area.

of course, not everything is rosy. There are mundane stuff like minutes writing, preparing logistics for calls, looking at legislation etc etc. working with slow colleagues can also get frustrating, or when you get bogged by red tape. but i guess every job has its goods and bads, just that we need to be okay with it.
I don't understand why the mundane stuff can't be done by the admin colleagues...even university grads also have to take care of the mundane stuff in addition to the more important matters such as working on policies? I mean, taking minutes of meetings? You don't need a university degree to do that, for crying out loud...

Not ranting at you, just ranting at how it seems like such a waste of one's education to be taking minutes...
Reply With Quote
  #2596 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi im currently looking to apply for NEA's NEW scholarship which has a four year bond
anyone has any idea what would be the pay and job offered during the bond?
assuming male with ns with chemistry degree from ntu second upper or second lower
thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote

  #2597 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

you probably do not understand the importance of minutes taking. wait till u are in civil service, if you do get in, and you will find out what it is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't understand why the mundane stuff can't be done by the admin colleagues...even university grads also have to take care of the mundane stuff in addition to the more important matters such as working on policies? I mean, taking minutes of meetings? You don't need a university degree to do that, for crying out loud...

Not ranting at you, just ranting at how it seems like such a waste of one's education to be taking minutes...
Reply With Quote
  #2598 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i personally find my job quite interesting. basically you are in charge of a few areas of responsibilities in your portfolio, and you deal with policy recommendations and proposals in that portfolio. for e.g. you might identify a gap in the current policy for xx area, and you can staff up a paper for discussion and subsequent implementation. You must be ready to defend your recommendations though! You might also have to react quickly to emergency situations and think on your feet (e.g. calls from your bosses at 1am) . You get to go for inter-agency meetings (this is both good and bad) and staff your bosses on calls/trips. you also go for seminars and courses to strengthen your knowledge in the area.

of course, not everything is rosy. There are mundane stuff like minutes writing, preparing logistics for calls, looking at legislation etc etc. working with slow colleagues can also get frustrating, or when you get bogged by red tape. but i guess every job has its goods and bads, just that we need to be okay with it.
Hello, I'm a fresh grad graduating in May and I'll entering the civil service after that doing policy-related work. The job description sounds like what you are doing so I was wondering if you can tell me a bit more about what your job involves. e.g. do you get any form of training when you first started work? do you normally work as a team or just your individual portfolio?
Reply With Quote
  #2599 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you probably do not understand the importance of minutes taking. wait till u are in civil service, if you do get in, and you will find out what it is all about.
The person who originally posted the comment probably doesn't appreciate what it takes to draft good minutes either.

I have had many painful hours vetting and amending crappy minutes from my staff (who are uni grads). Going by the way they write, you'd think some of them were doing transcripts!
Reply With Quote
  #2600 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Taking minutes entails not only noting the main discussion points that have taken place, but also understanding its essence, significance and even intricacies. Do you know what kind of meetings necessitates minutes taking and the people who sit in it? And do you know who may read the minutes of the meeting? If you really think it is a no brainer, you can't be further away from the truth. It requires a very sharp mind to discern the facts from the unimportant stuff. And good command of English is only one of the many prerequisites of good minutes writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't understand why the mundane stuff can't be done by the admin colleagues...even university grads also have to take care of the mundane stuff in addition to the more important matters such as working on policies? I mean, taking minutes of meetings? You don't need a university degree to do that, for crying out loud...

Not ranting at you, just ranting at how it seems like such a waste of one's education to be taking minutes...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 03:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 01:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 11:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 02:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,988 Replies, 1,349,851 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
807 Replies, 409,617 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,241 Replies, 999,860 Views
NCS Salary range and Promotion...
1 Replies, 250 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 252,753 Views
Need career advice
3 Replies, 502 Views
HSBC Career ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 35,452 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,906 Replies, 5,107,471 Views
MINDEF enlistment inspector
2 Replies, 244 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 100,104 Views
International Relations Careers
0 Replies, 91 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 46,328 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
5 Replies, 419 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,682 Replies, 476,222 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
271 Replies, 110,230 Views
I am getting promoted in Jan 2020... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,058 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 222,440 Views
Anyone from Bank of America... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,317 Views
Salary increment on contract...
1 Replies, 290 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 34,571 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
360 Replies, 163,060 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,755 Replies, 814,937 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,848 Replies, 1,718,402 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 86,364 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,005 Replies, 799,261 Views
Senior Lab officer @ IMRE
8 Replies, 4,086 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,587 Replies, 963,667 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 40,611 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,063 Replies, 469,642 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
132 Replies, 48,117 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2