Compare civil service salary - Page 257 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2561 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
In general, degree determines your starting point and initial CEP. Once you're in, no one would remember which uni or what class u get.
Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.

Reply With Quote
  #2562 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.
1) Provided the agency HR recognize the private degrees. 2) HR may also need to calculate the min no. of ACU i.e. too little/short may get rejected from start.

Local degrees still much safer bet. I won't recommend ppl going for private degrees if given a choice.

Reply With Quote
  #2563 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
1) Provided the agency HR recognize the private degrees. 2) HR may also need to calculate the min no. of ACU i.e. too little/short may get rejected from start.

Local degrees still much safer bet. I won't recommend ppl going for private degrees if given a choice.
sry but what does ACU mean?

Reply With Quote
  #2564 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No, future performance is not the only determinant for career advancement. CEP or Career Expected Potential plays an instrumental role in how fast and how far one can go. This is in turn dependent on your degree and other credentials/experience if they do consider it. In my opinion, the degree is still the single most important criterion. If one has a 2nd class upper from NUS/NTU and is below the age of 30, he or she can expect to hit at least MX9 in time to come. There are of course, many other external factors along the way and there are isolated cases too, but I shan't not elaborate here.

UOTE=jobhunter1234;33747]Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #2565 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No, future performance is not the only determinant for career advancement. CEP or Career Expected Potential plays an instrumental role in how fast and how far one can go. This is in turn dependent on your degree and other credentials/experience if they do consider it. In my opinion, the degree is still the single most important criterion. If one has a 2nd class upper from NUS/NTU and is below the age of 30, he or she can expect to hit at least MX9 in time to come. There are of course, many other external factors along the way and there are isolated cases too, but I shan't not elaborate here.

UOTE=jobhunter1234;33747]Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.
[/QUOTE]

Judging on the acronym for CEP , hmmm - a dubious post.
Reply With Quote
  #2566 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
dupdupdup is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi all! Anybody know how is the pay like in CSIT? Can you be promoted if your performance is good? Is it based on stat board? Will someone from SIM instead of local unis lose out? thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #2567 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi everyone!!

I'm about to graduate this May and I'm interested in joining the civil service. So far, I've sent out my application to various positions. But as I was applying, I noticed that are some positions listed as 'Asst Director/Manager'...

My question(s) are:

1. As a a fresh grad, is it true that I'm more likely to enter the service as manager than Asst Director?

2. If I'm asked about my pay expectations, how much should I say? For instance, if I request for 3.5K for the aforementioned position is that alright?

3. Let's say, I get the job. Will they pay me in accordance to the pay I requested or would they pay me in accordance to the civil service pay grade?

Thanks in advance!!

p.s. For my honors, I'm set to get a 2nd upper.
Reply With Quote
  #2568 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone!!

I'm about to graduate this May and I'm interested in joining the civil service. So far, I've sent out my application to various positions. But as I was applying, I noticed that are some positions listed as 'Asst Director/Manager'...

My question(s) are:

1. As a a fresh grad, is it true that I'm more likely to enter the service as manager than Asst Director?

2. If I'm asked about my pay expectations, how much should I say? For instance, if I request for 3.5K for the aforementioned position is that alright?

3. Let's say, I get the job. Will they pay me in accordance to the pay I requested or would they pay me in accordance to the civil service pay grade?

Thanks in advance!!

p.s. For my honors, I'm set to get a 2nd upper.
just curious...major?
Reply With Quote
  #2569 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello!

I'm a Sociology major. :l

I don't think my major would influence the pay I receive right (?) I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #2570 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello!

I'm a Sociology major. :l

I don't think my major would influence the pay I receive right (?) I'm not sure.
Nope. You are qualified for all general positions as long as the criteria is stated as any discipline.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,005 Replies, 1,805,764 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
668 Replies, 326,962 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,445 Replies, 1,492,084 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 9,841 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 1,689 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 17,016 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,029 Replies, 2,199,722 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,855 Replies, 872,500 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,720 Replies, 1,018,418 Views
Anybody starting/started new job... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,311 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,181 Replies, 5,301,191 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 73,097 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,584 Replies, 1,231,857 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 12,624 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 430,582 Views
Career advice
3 Replies, 966 Views
career dilemma in 30s ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,643 Views
What course should I undertake?
9 Replies, 3,230 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 165,873 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,239 Views
Please advise on my career path... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 12,209 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,082 Replies, 846,846 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 7,332 Views
Casino Regulatory Authority
1 Replies, 4,423 Views
Relocating to Singapore, is... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 29,488 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 2,193 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 719,210 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 96,191 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 121,808 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2