Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 31-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Working in a stat board for 12 years as MX11A. Will getting the Commendation Medal (COVID-19) help me to get promoted?
100,000 ppl got the medal….all promoted? Lol

Old 31-12-2022, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

just completed my first year at a stat board, earning 4k+, bonuses all combined about 6+ months. Cheers and happy new year!

Old 31-12-2022, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I would say between 10-12 years.

However, in the new system implemented this year, "time norms" have been discarded somewhat. Where previously an officer must have served a certain number of years in a grade before he/she becomes eligible to be promoted, it is not the case now. So good officers can progress faster, but average/poorer performing officers may stay at their grades for longer. So it could look like 8-15 years now.
Sorry, able to elaborate on this "new system"?

And does it only apply to the MX scheme?

Old 31-12-2022, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, able to elaborate on this "new system"?

And does it only apply to the MX scheme?
It's not a new system per se but perhaps more accurately, a dismantling of the "old" system to focus more on meritocracy. Some examples of the "old" system:

- people naturally progress based on time in the past. So a manager can expect to become a senior manager in 5 years, an AD by 10 years and so on.
- In the promotion year, you get a "default" C grade, and you can't be promoted in the next year.

These old "rules" will be much less rigid in the new system. Capable people can be promoted much faster and in consecutive years. If you are in the civil service, you'll know this is almost unheard of in the past. Conversely, this also means average people may be promoted much slower.

Obviously none of the above is spelled out to all officers, but I am a direct beneficiary of the changes having been promoted twice in the last 2 years. As to whether this new "philosophy" applies to just MX, I think it's probably across Civil and Public Service.
Old 31-12-2022, 10:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's not a new system per se but perhaps more accurately, a dismantling of the "old" system to focus more on meritocracy. Some examples of the "old" system:

- people naturally progress based on time in the past. So a manager can expect to become a senior manager in 5 years, an AD by 10 years and so on.
- In the promotion year, you get a "default" C grade, and you can't be promoted in the next year.

These old "rules" will be much less rigid in the new system. Capable people can be promoted much faster and in consecutive years. If you are in the civil service, you'll know this is almost unheard of in the past. Conversely, this also means average people may be promoted much slower.

Obviously none of the above is spelled out to all officers, but I am a direct beneficiary of the changes having been promoted twice in the last 2 years. As to whether this new "philosophy" applies to just MX, I think it's probably across Civil and Public Service.
Congrats to you first! Good job for progressing so quickly

That said, how will this new system factor in the scholars though? Didn't they already have an accelerated progression in the old system? Does this mean the new system further accelerates progression? How will this compare to the non-scholars? Will fairness be ensured among all officers?
Old 31-12-2022, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Congrats to you first! Good job for progressing so quickly

That said, how will this new system factor in the scholars though? Didn't they already have an accelerated progression in the old system? Does this mean the new system further accelerates progression? How will this compare to the non-scholars? Will fairness be ensured among all officers?
This is my opinion and my own observations.

Scholars and those on special programmes are already in a special lane of their own. Even within those special lanes, they compete with each other, i.e some can progress faster than others ala cream of the crop or have different end points, e.g. PS vs DS vs Director. Some may even drop out of the programmes at some point into the general population.

The "new system" I'm referring to applies more to the general population of officers. Time norms can be frustrating for the more capable officers (think Japanese hierarchy)and eventually leads to more less-capable people at the top. So I think this move is probably for the best in trying to retain your best folks in the general population.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:21 AM

sgregxit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for golden nuggets and happy new year! OP here...tbh there's no real push out of CS for now if I have good bosses, and there are hints I may be placed on agency's hi-po (all will be confirmed only in March ig....). Anything could happen at my new post in the upcoming mths, so I'll just have to work hard/smart to prove myself again :')

This begs the question of if:

1) I should stay at my current agency where I'll undergo new posting and acquire new skills, and farm till at least MX11 given the **** economy; or

2) Move to another agency / SB (pref MTI/EDB) and risk restarting my LP anew, but I think it diversifies my skill set
Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgregxit View Post
Thanks for golden nuggets and happy new year! OP here...tbh there's no real push out of CS for now if I have good bosses, and there are hints I may be placed on agency's hi-po (all will be confirmed only in March ig....). Anything could happen at my new post in the upcoming mths, so I'll just have to work hard/smart to prove myself again :')

This begs the question of if:

1) I should stay at my current agency where I'll undergo new posting and acquire new skills, and farm till at least MX11 given the **** economy; or

2) Move to another agency / SB (pref MTI/EDB) and risk restarting my LP anew, but I think it diversifies my skill set
I believe LP is transferable between agencies, but when working with new people at a new place, the boss there will probably take some time to reaffirm your LP status.

Assuming you are talking about a transfer as opposed to quitting and joining another agency, your job is probably not at risk. So it all boils down to what I shared in an earlier post - whether you see yourself as a career civil servant, or do you see the private sector in your cards in the near future.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

U sure u not promoted due to covid effort? Haha
Old 01-01-2023, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
U sure u not promoted due to covid effort? Haha
I'm 100% promoted because of Covid efforts. But promotions in consecutive years would likely not be possible if not for this change, I'm pretty sure.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app