Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 19-02-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20959)
Speak as though you went through both 1997 and 2009. Just because you went through a bad period doesnt mean it was THE worst period. There is no free lunch in this world. Finance ppl get paid high but they work insane hours to keep the job. Just because one is not headhunted or "networked" does not mean your value is any lesser. Yes u are right, a banker can join civil service and the reverse is harder. Life is about having options but at the end of the day, there is only one reality (we make our choice about option and live with it.

Just look at the papers in 2008-2009. they compared it to the great depression of 1930s-1940s. In 1997 most of the damage was in Asia. In 2009, the damage was wide spread. Whatever man, i dun wanna argue about historical case studies. If u r happy that i am wrong, then so be it.

Ur insane working hrs is a common misconception in banking. Banking is v wide. E.g. IB, private banking, Fixed Income, Commodities, Fund Management, Foreign Exchange etc. u cannot just generalise that all have long working hours. For example, just from this list above, IB has longer working hrs than the rest. If u dun know enough friends in the industry, u wld not know there are some fields which have lesser working hrs and that pays well.

Also I realised people have a self satisfaction ego. For example, ppl outside banking will think I am not going banking because the working hours are insane. Ppl outside civil service will think the other way and say even though civil service pays well n stable, i will find it hard to climb up the ranks because I am not a scholar. Then, each one of them thinks their career choice is thus correct. Nobody is right or wrong in this case. Depends on ur own view and what u want in life. But in sg, sadly there is only 1 view that matters to most ppl, that is how much money u make, what car u drive and which condo u live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20960)
Well I don't claim to speak for all civil servants but some of those that I know personally work very long hours too. there's one that works from 8/9am to midnight almost everyday. Others go 12 -15 hour work days. And most of them are really brilliant chaps.

correct. it is again a misconception that civil servants end work on the dot. Can u leave on the dot? Sure, why not? But promotion time, u can wait long long. Some ppl say oh, does not matter how long u stay in office, more important is ur job performance. The reality is most ppl seldom cock up in work, esp when u r talking abt uni grads with second upper honours n above. Hence how bosses evaulate is who stays the longer in the office, more enthu towards work n org. Those who stay late will be shortlisted for promotion. Assuming everyone knows this rule, then everybody will take advantage of this rule. U stay until 7pm? ok i stay until 8pm. u stay until 8pm? ok i stay until 9pm. Of cos u need to justify the amt of work to let u stay back late n this is through volunteering for extra job scopes.

This applies everywhere, not only civil service, especially in desk bound jobs. if u work in sales for example, then nobody cares whether u r in the office or not, as long as u bring in the sales. in fact the longer u stay in office, the boss will ask why u r not meeting clients. Hence for desk bound jobs, besides ur job performance (which most ppl seldom cock up), ur face time in the office is another factor.

Unregistered 19-02-2012 10:52 AM

Hi fellow forumers..

I am from the civil service and have a question about increments..

Can someone enlighten me on what kind of increments one gets in the civil service every year? I have read in some of your posts u wrote about merit increments, annual increments and just increments.

I would like to know if civil servants get merit or annual or both? If we do, which do we get when?

One thing i know for sure is there is an increment every year on the month after u joined i.e. Suppose u joined in june 2010, u get increment every july from 2011 onwards. Is this the annual increment? If so, when do we get merit increment? If we do get merit increment, how much do we get? Performance based?

I hope someone who knows this well can enlighten me.. Thanks..

Unregistered 19-02-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21009)
Hi fellow forumers..

Can someone enlighten me on what kind of increments one gets in the civil service every year? I have read in some of your posts u wrote about merit increments, annual increments and just increments.

I would like to know if civil servants get merit or annual or both? If we do, which do we get when?

One thing i know for sure is there is an increment every year on the month after u joined i.e. Suppose u joined in june 2010, u get increment every july from 2011 onwards. Is this the annual increment? If so, when do we get merit increment? If we do get merit increment, how much do we get? Performance based?

for civil servants, they usually get their merit increment in april every year. if you joined in June, your first increment will depend on what contract you sign with the ministry. some will give you a pro-rated increment next April, and from then on, all your increments in April. Other ministries prefer to fix your salary to June next year, and give you an incremnt in June. Subsequent increments come in Apr

Anonymous 19-02-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hi fellow forumers..

Am surprised that you are still unclear about your pay structure. Those terms all mean the same thing. We get our increments once a year and it is performance based. You know your increment usually around may/jun and they kick in ard jun-jul. can't remember exact period.

Unregistered 19-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 21011)
Am surprised that you are still unclear about your pay structure. Those terms all mean the same thing. We get our increments once a year and it is performance based. You know your increment usually around may/jun and they kick in ard jun-jul. can't remember exact period.

Unclear coz i still new.. Plus hr is bochap..

I signed in may.. So every june i get? What is the quantum graduate i.e. How much u get for c, b and a grades respectively?

Unregistered 19-02-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 21011)

do you know what you are talking about? civil service increment in mar/apr.

some statboards (public service) follow the july cycle though

Anonymous 19-02-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21013)
do you know what you are talking about? civil service increment in mar/apr.

some statboards (public service) follow the july cycle though

Where got so early. You know the performance grade earlier but actual increase comes later leh. It comes together with promo increments and we eat our promo dinners in May. Increment comes earliest the mth after that. I'm work in a ministry hq btw.

Anonymous 19-02-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21012)
Unclear coz i still new.. Plus hr is bochap..

I signed in may.. So every june i get? What is the quantum graduate i.e. How much u get for c, b and a grades respectively?

Quantum and payout period might vary with agencies. Best to ask your own colleagues.

Bean 19-02-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Hi fellow forumers..

base on Anonymous, he got stated that for normal performer, it should be around $350

Unregistered 19-02-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 21021)
base on Anonymous, he got stated that for normal performer, it should be around $350

b grade performance, but only ard 200-250..never get 350 before..so i doubt got such high increment yearly, likely for a grade..

but likely varies for various ministries/ stat boards..