Compare civil service salary - Page 124 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1231 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

here's my take

govt instr manual (hr section), which is an open document accessible for all civil servants via intranet, states how to pay a new hire.

basically find his base salary level + number of years of relevant working experience. relevant years of working experience may include full time post graduate studies.

above formula ensures that new hires are paid fairly (vs private sector) and consistently (across civil service). note that stat boards and special services (legal, intelligence, AO) may have a different, usually much higher payscale than the MX track.

hence what some of you have mentioned "based on CEP, you can almost calculate you net worth 30 year later when you retire".

the point i want to make is while salary is one thing, job satisfaction and job security are two other important factors too. by job satisfaction i also mean how bearable a civil service job is compared to many privated sector jobs. how many private sector jobs have the numerous team bonding, town halls, innovation day, etc (non-work events) per year? in fact many backend finance jobs, engineering or even medicine (GP) are specialised and well paying but very very boring and monotonous.

by job security, how many in private sector are pretty sure they will not be made redundant in next 30 years? job security enables you to plan for holidays, children, property, etc.

my conlcusion is that civil servants are paid fairly. those who do not think so think that they are better performers than are recognized. however the only way this group can confirm this is to search and receive a better paying job outside and for similar working conditions (9 - 6pm, no shift work, 13mths basic + 3 mths almost guranteed PB + other bonuses).

Reply With Quote
  #1232 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Bean is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
here's my take

govt instr manual (hr section), which is an open document accessible for all civil servants via intranet, states how to pay a new hire.

basically find his base salary level + number of years of relevant working experience. relevant years of working experience may include full time post graduate studies.

above formula ensures that new hires are paid fairly (vs private sector) and consistently (across civil service). note that stat boards and special services (legal, intelligence, AO) may have a different, usually much higher payscale than the MX track.

hence what some of you have mentioned "based on CEP, you can almost calculate you net worth 30 year later when you retire".

the point i want to make is while salary is one thing, job satisfaction and job security are two other important factors too. by job satisfaction i also mean how bearable a civil service job is compared to many privated sector jobs. how many private sector jobs have the numerous team bonding, town halls, innovation day, etc (non-work events) per year? in fact many backend finance jobs, engineering or even medicine (GP) are specialised and well paying but very very boring and monotonous.

by job security, how many in private sector are pretty sure they will not be made redundant in next 30 years? job security enables you to plan for holidays, children, property, etc.

my conlcusion is that civil servants are paid fairly. those who do not think so think that they are better performers than are recognized. however the only way this group can confirm this is to search and receive a better paying job outside and for similar working conditions (9 - 6pm, no shift work, 13mths basic + 3 mths almost guranteed PB + other bonuses).
How about DXO scheme, DX10-DX15 salary, any different to MX scheme?

Reply With Quote
  #1233 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 274
miwashi is on a distinguished road
Default

can I know what organizations have the intelligence scheme? So far I only know of mha.

Reply With Quote
  #1234 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
can I know what organizations have the intelligence scheme? So far I only know of mha.
why does it matter for you? ur not going to get out of that grass cutting job just by hanging around asking irrelevant questions online no matter what the scheme is.
Reply With Quote
  #1235 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eunos
Posts: 3
Nani is on a distinguished road
Default

I left the civil service after 12 long years, with a last drawn salary of $3.6k. I have a degree in engineering but was neither promoted nor paid according to my qualifications. Had tried applying for a senior post twice but was rejected.

Leaving the ministry was the toughest decision ever in my entire life (being in comfort zone for too long) but I was determined to leave for private sector or even stat board (public service) as I do not see myself remaining in the civil service forever till I retire.

Firstly, I see the learning curve in civil service quite gentle and to a certain extent, unchallenging.

Secondly, even if i get promoted to a senior post (based on my performance), there will be certainly a cap on my progression. Only graduates will not have any ceiling in terms of CEP (also depending on performance). If both graduate and non-graduate performs equally well, I'm very sure that the CEP for the graduate will be higher than the non-graduate. This is a fact that we can't deny.

Thirdly, if I want to earn big money, I should not remain in the civil service. If you don't dare to explore, you never would and be able to earn the big money you want in life.

Of course, it is not all about money after all, like what most of you have mentioned here, it's about job satisfaction. Do what we want in life, not what we have to.
Reply With Quote
  #1236 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
I left the civil service after 12 long years, with a last drawn salary of $3.6k. I have a degree in engineering but was neither promoted nor paid according to my qualifications. Had tried applying for a senior post twice but was rejected.

Leaving the ministry was the toughest decision ever in my entire life (being in comfort zone for too long) but I was determined to leave for private sector or even stat board (public service) as I do not see myself remaining in the civil service forever till I retire.

Firstly, I see the learning curve in civil service quite gentle and to a certain extent, unchallenging.

Secondly, even if i get promoted to a senior post (based on my performance), there will be certainly a cap on my progression. Only graduates will not have any ceiling in terms of CEP (also depending on performance). If both graduate and non-graduate performs equally well, I'm very sure that the CEP for the graduate will be higher than the non-graduate. This is a fact that we can't deny.

Thirdly, if I want to earn big money, I should not remain in the civil service. If you don't dare to explore, you never would and be able to earn the big money you want in life.

Of course, it is not all about money after all, like what most of you have mentioned here, it's about job satisfaction. Do what we want in life, not what we have to.
So what are you working as in the private sector now? Are you doing better? Did you get a severe paycut in private sector due to your inrelevant civil service experience?
Reply With Quote

  #1237 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Bean is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
I left the civil service after 12 long years, with a last drawn salary of $3.6k. I have a degree in engineering but was neither promoted nor paid according to my qualifications. Had tried applying for a senior post twice but was rejected.

Leaving the ministry was the toughest decision ever in my entire life (being in comfort zone for too long) but I was determined to leave for private sector or even stat board (public service) as I do not see myself remaining in the civil service forever till I retire.

Firstly, I see the learning curve in civil service quite gentle and to a certain extent, unchallenging.

Secondly, even if i get promoted to a senior post (based on my performance), there will be certainly a cap on my progression. Only graduates will not have any ceiling in terms of CEP (also depending on performance). If both graduate and non-graduate performs equally well, I'm very sure that the CEP for the graduate will be higher than the non-graduate. This is a fact that we can't deny.

Thirdly, if I want to earn big money, I should not remain in the civil service. If you don't dare to explore, you never would and be able to earn the big money you want in life.

Of course, it is not all about money after all, like what most of you have mentioned here, it's about job satisfaction. Do what we want in life, not what we have to.
you have a degree and getting 3.6k after 12 years??

today, a 2nd upper with NS local degree, fresh grad getting 3.5-3.6k already....

wat degree class of honour you got? from wat university?
wat is your starting pay when you 1st join civil service with your degree??
do you with NS or no NS??
Reply With Quote
  #1238 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eunos
Posts: 3
Nani is on a distinguished road
Default

I obtained my degree (from an aussie university) while still serving in the civil service. Started with $1.8k, as a direct entry diploma holder.

Yes, definitely I have to suffer a pay cut in the private sector but I know that the pay increment will pick up as I gain more experience professionally as an engineer or anywhere that recognises my degree and experiences. Furthermore, if i want to pursue further studies, i don't foresee any career progression in the civil service even with a MBA, as part-time MBA is not recognised at all. So what's the point of pursuing higher education where civil service does not recognise the paper????
Reply With Quote
  #1239 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
I obtained my degree (from an aussie university) while still serving in the civil service. Started with $1.8k, as a direct entry diploma holder.

Yes, definitely I have to suffer a pay cut in the private sector but I know that the pay increment will pick up as I gain more experience professionally as an engineer or anywhere that recognises my degree and experiences. Furthermore, if i want to pursue further studies, i don't foresee any career progression in the civil service even with a MBA, as part-time MBA is not recognised at all. So what's the point of pursuing higher education where civil service does not recognise the paper????
You should have stayed on to complete your mba inside civil service before coming out... the slack environment inside is optimum for part-time studies... Your boss in private sector will not be as undestanding to let you leave on time like in civil service... Anyway, my suggestion is to really do a reputable MBA instead of a lousey 2nd grade one... If not it'll be a total waste of money really...
Reply With Quote
  #1240 (permalink)  
Old 18-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
eeffoc is on a distinguished road
Default

just wondering.

smu honours grading system is different from that of nus and ntu.

how does the civic service sector allocate the starting pay accordingly?

btw, does anyone know about ie singapore, their starting pay, and career advancement?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,714 Replies, 1,016,672 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
162 Replies, 165,431 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,173 Replies, 5,295,179 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,063 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,013 Replies, 2,194,692 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,438 Replies, 1,488,921 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 14,438 Views
Please advise on my career path... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 12,035 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,082 Replies, 845,936 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 8,130 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,847 Replies, 870,736 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 7,165 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,582 Replies, 1,229,277 Views
Casino Regulatory Authority
1 Replies, 4,383 Views
Relocating to Singapore, is... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 29,361 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 1,963 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
428 Replies, 72,569 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 718,287 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 95,766 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 121,617 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,977 Replies, 1,803,013 Views
Chevron COBRA assesment, please... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 48,970 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,382 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,649,721 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 76,140 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 430,156 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 4,618 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 197,512 Views
What course should I undertake?
8 Replies, 3,196 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2