Compare civil service salary - Page 1113 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11121 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 09:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Is Salary Negotiable?

I have offers from the Civil Service... May I know whether can I negotiate the salary or is fixed based on the pay scale they assign?

Reply With Quote
  #11122 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have offers from the Civil Service... May I know whether can I negotiate the salary or is fixed based on the pay scale they assign?
I guess it should be a range. However civil service being civic service, they will pay you according to years of experience etc.

Personally don't like tat as you can be in the private sector with years of experience and drawing higher range. But when you head back in, they might just ignore that and just look back at your years of service. My thoughts.

Reply With Quote
  #11123 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess it should be a range. However civil service being civic service, they will pay you according to years of experience etc.

Personally don't like tat as you can be in the private sector with years of experience and drawing higher range. But when you head back in, they might just ignore that and just look back at your years of service. My thoughts.
Only in civil service the older you are the better baba.


Outside they see you 40 yo, they are like... Maybe should hire the 25 yo instead. Cheaper.
Singapore gahmen rich, all want to be civil servant for the money and iron rice bowl.

Not really to serve the community

Reply With Quote
  #11124 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only in civil service the older you are the better baba.


Outside they see you 40 yo, they are like... Maybe should hire the 25 yo instead. Cheaper.
Singapore gahmen rich, all want to be civil servant for the money and iron rice bowl.

Not really to serve the community
Relatively true! Guess it should be advisable to touch the private when you are young and perhaps with 10years of experience and then head in gahmen. Perhaps you wont suffer much paycut and get the iron rice bowl haha!
Reply With Quote
  #11125 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Relatively true! Guess it should be advisable to touch the private when you are young and perhaps with 10years of experience and then head in gahmen. Perhaps you wont suffer much paycut and get the iron rice bowl haha!
10 years is a long time though.

Not all industry are equal. Some jobs are better in the private sector while other earn more in the civil service.

I have a friend who is doing really well in sales / consultancy and tried to join the government for the stability. He was offered almost half of his take home pay.
Reply With Quote
  #11126 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 01:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
10 years is a long time though.

Not all industry are equal. Some jobs are better in the private sector while other earn more in the civil service.

I have a friend who is doing really well in sales / consultancy and tried to join the government for the stability. He was offered almost half of his take home pay.
How about the other way round? What happens when one tries to go private after 10 years in the civil service?

Guess the 2 run in parallel tracks and do not recognise the progress of each other.
Reply With Quote

  #11127 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
10 years is a long time though.

Not all industry are equal. Some jobs are better in the private sector while other earn more in the civil service.

I have a friend who is doing really well in sales / consultancy and tried to join the government for the stability. He was offered almost half of his take home pay.
If you want stable and high paying job. Just go passive investment and then pursue your hobby lo
No such thing as high paid, stable, relax, balanced, opportunity, travel, freedom all lumped into one.
Reply With Quote
  #11128 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 01:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Is Salary Negotiable?

I am mid career from private sector.... Want to join civil service, stat board or GLC healthcare.... wonder will they based on my experience from private sector or my local degree education to determine my pay scale? Is it worth to take Contract role of less than 1 year?
Reply With Quote
  #11129 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 02:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How about the other way round? What happens when one tries to go private after 10 years in the civil service?

Guess the 2 run in parallel tracks and do not recognise the progress of each other.
I managed to move to private sector after spending 10 years at a stat board. Even received a 30% pay raise. If your skills set is what they are looking for, I don't think it is a major issue to move between public and private sectors. Some agencies have also been seconding their staff to relevant private sector to understand the industry more. While it is harder for private sector employees to be seconded to public service, I've seen attachment programmes where the industry would send a rep to get a sense of how the public service looking after their industry works.

So I'd say relevant experience, knowledge and skill set would help to boost especially in salary and grade if you join from private to public. For public to private, if you have a good sense of regulations to help guide their strategies, I don't see why you should suffer any pay cut either. What's also important is be realistic about how much you are worth with your skills and knowledge. I have an admin staff who knows how to print and photocopy only and he's paid $5k. He's not going anywhere other than staying at public service. No where in private sector is gonna pay your that salary for a cost centre.
Reply With Quote
  #11130 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2021, 02:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi,

Can I check if anyone know whether govtech has a history of letting go 1 year direct contracts?

I am being considered for a role but the 1 year contract is putting me off because of the lack of security...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 143 07-09-2020 04:27 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,201 Replies, 350,469 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,777 Replies, 3,708,241 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,420 Replies, 649,828 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,671 Replies, 6,647,111 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 399,793 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,931 Replies, 412,995 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,211 Replies, 4,072,909 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 108,170 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
210 Replies, 56,592 Views
Lendlease Graduate Program 2021... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,070 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 589 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,037 Replies, 1,387,275 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,688 Replies, 1,512,831 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,945 Replies, 1,165,987 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
453 Replies, 98,267 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,309 Replies, 577,676 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
911 Replies, 645,859 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 52,032 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
363 Replies, 162,793 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 19,517 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 94,631 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
234 Replies, 227,478 Views
Job Offer Advise ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,154 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme...
8 Replies, 1,693 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,006 Replies, 469,290 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 37,554 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 77,385 Views
Grab Software Developer Fresh... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,273 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,654 Replies, 2,249,448 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2