Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

miwashi 20-07-2011 11:05 AM

is this a promotion-related increment, or a standard increment? What grade are you?

Unregistered 20-07-2011 10:32 PM

i am not from civil service, but from what i have read from forum and government website,

the Annual Increment for civil servant is MERIT BASE ANNUAL INCREMENT, mean those who perform better get better annual increment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other company like ST Engineering is practicing merit base annual increment too, my friend from that company.

For Example;

A grading = get abt 6% AI
B grading = get abt 4-5% AI
C grading = get abt 3% AI
D grading = get abt 0-2% AI

AI = annual increment

by comparing between 'B' & 'C' grader, beside the AI is higher for 'B', the bonus payout for 'B' is generally 1 - 1.5 months more than that of 'C' is getting. Also if 'B' and 'C' just happen to get a promotion at the same time, 'B' will get a higher PROMOTION INCREMENT than that of 'C' is getting too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the same when 'A' is compared to 'B'...............in the long term the basic salary gap difference widened as much as $1500-$2000 in 5 years if 2 people of the same class of degree working in civil service from fresh grad at the same time, with one constant getting A/B grade while the other constant getting C grade.

Mr A/B grader getting abt 5500-6500 after 5 years in civil service, while Mr C grade will get abt 3800-4400 after 5 years in civil service.

I think previous earlier post had mention this b4!!!

undiscern 20-07-2011 11:06 PM

Yes, the above is pretty accurate.

Unregistered 20-07-2011 11:16 PM

Annual Increment in Government Sector

Pay increments are not fixed. I received varying increments over the years working in a Ministry. This year, I received nearly $500 and I recall i received around 200 when I started out many years back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For $200 increment for fresh grad, this is more than 5% increment, consider very good.

Is $200 your minimum increment?

For $500 increment, is it a promotion increment?

Thank you

lanny 21-07-2011 12:37 AM

Hi guys,

need your advice.

i intend to take up MSc in Environmental Science offered by NIE/NTU next year. do you think stat boards like NEA would recognise the MSc?

undiscern 21-07-2011 08:12 AM

Good to have, but not necc. They rather you have a 2nd upper honours and good A & O level result.

Unregistered 23-07-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 14443)
is this a promotion-related increment, or a standard increment? What grade are you?

All the increments I've quoted are merit increments and not promotion related. I've only been promoted once and got an 800 dollar increment for that. The most recent 500 dollar merit increment was roughly a 10% increment.

I'm on one of the professional schemes but am not on the Hi-Po scheme. Am consistently a high performer with an average of B over the last 3 year.

Hope that clarifies.

Unregistered 24-07-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14468)
i am not from civil service, but from what i have read from forum and government website,

the Annual Increment for civil servant is MERIT BASE ANNUAL INCREMENT, mean those who perform better get better annual increment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other company like ST Engineering is practicing merit base annual increment too, my friend from that company.

For Example;

A grading = get abt 6% AI
B grading = get abt 4-5% AI
C grading = get abt 3% AI
D grading = get abt 0-2% AI

AI = annual increment

by comparing between 'B' & 'C' grader, beside the AI is higher for 'B', the bonus payout for 'B' is generally 1 - 1.5 months more than that of 'C' is getting. Also if 'B' and 'C' just happen to get a promotion at the same time, 'B' will get a higher PROMOTION INCREMENT than that of 'C' is getting too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the same when 'A' is compared to 'B'...............in the long term the basic salary gap difference widened as much as $1500-$2000 in 5 years if 2 people of the same class of degree working in civil service from fresh grad at the same time, with one constant getting A/B grade while the other constant getting C grade.

Mr A/B grader getting abt 5500-6500 after 5 years in civil service, while Mr C grade will get abt 3800-4400 after 5 years in civil service.

I think previous earlier post had mention this b4!!!

The AI % for the ST engineering example is a little too high. The ST grading system is to promote a super rat race for the relatively low pay. Getting A grade is almost impossible as it is reserved for more senior people only regardless of how well a new hire can perform. B grade is hard to get because all grades are moderated. The fact that the system requires x number of people in each grade means that if A or B grades are filled up already, then the rest have to be sacrificed and get C or D regardless of how well they performed. Getting a D basically means you are screwed.

Unregistered 29-07-2011 04:49 PM

hi,

anyone know whether civil sectors will take pte degree into consideration?

diploma holder, took a part time degree while working.
6 yrs related expereince in related field / ministry.

so, will i be considered a diploma holder or degree holder on the pay structure?

many thanks

Unregistered 29-07-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14824)
hi,

anyone know whether civil sectors will take pte degree into consideration?

diploma holder, took a part time degree while working.
6 yrs related expereince in related field / ministry.

so, will i be considered a diploma holder or degree holder on the pay structure?

many thanks

I was in the same situation as you, went into a stat board as a diploma holder, got a degree part time. Went for an interview with a ministry and they offered me a mid-career graduate scale.