Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/884-fresh-grad-masters-starting-salary-banking.html)

Novice 05-05-2010 08:43 AM

Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking

I have a first in Economics from OxBridge and a Masters in Finance from a US top 10 university. I have a few job offers in banking. What compensation package should I expect?

Unregistered 05-05-2010 09:02 AM

Standard salary from a bulge bracket investment bank (e.g., Goldman, Deutsche, CS) for a "grad" with MBA (e.g., Harvard, Wharton) would be USD100K and a 6 month bonus for the first 1-2 years. If you work in corporate finance, ECM or institutional equities (best to start in research), be prepared to work at least 14-18 hrs a day and travel globally. About half or less of the grads survive the first two years. After about 2 years, you can pull a larger bonus, say 1-2 years and base will rise to about USD150K+, particularly if you get your first promotion to VP from Associate.

Unregistered 12-05-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novice (Post 5839)
I have a first in Economics from OxBridge and a Masters in Finance from a US top 10 university. I have a few job offers in banking. What compensation package should I expect?

I assume you are looking at Front Office role and you have no prior banking experience. You should at least expect SGD 100k p.a. in base salary for a start. Of course, depending on how you negotiate and what kind of banks (tier 1 investment bank) are offering, I will not be surprised if you can get SGD 120k p.a. or more!

Good luck. But what you are paid is what is expected of you.

Unregistered 23-06-2010 02:01 PM

What about mid-market IB

Any one has any idea what's the starting pay for local mid-market IB outfits then?

Heard the CIMB IB offers only 3k+ per month for analyst with potenial large bonus...can it really be that low?

Unregistered 24-06-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6287)
Any one has any idea what's the starting pay for local mid-market IB outfits then?

Heard the CIMB IB offers only 3k+ per month for analyst with potenial large bonus...can it really be that low?

I am not sure what qualifications you have. But my friend is a fresh grad who is going onto a management associate position with a local bank is getting 4k base

Unregistered 27-06-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novice (Post 5839)

u from princeton or mit? cambridge chemical engineering...

i m servig institutional client in research and i get 1.6k a mth...so dune xpect too much

Unregistered 27-06-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6315)
u from princeton or mit? cambridge chemical engineering...

i m servig institutional client in research and i get 1.6k a mth...so dune xpect too much

you're probably an intern. but then again, interns in bulge bracket firms make 5-10k.

Unregistered 29-07-2010 03:24 PM

not shingled

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6287)

Yes. CIMB, DBS, Kim Eng etc are local brokers, not bulge bracket investment banks. They can't attract top foreign grads, so they usually recruit undergraduates from local U. However, usually only the top local grads can get analyst jobs. Typical starting salary is simply what local grads start at around $2-3K/pm. However, if you are good, it could double within a year. However, to get the super salary, you need to make a name for yourself to get a chance to get into bulge bracket, since they don't typically hire analysts from local U (some of them will take in a RA from local U)

Unregistered 29-07-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6294)
I am not sure what qualifications you have. But my friend is a fresh grad who is going onto a management associate position with a local bank is getting 4k base

management associate is different from an analyst position. a management associate usually is one of the top recruits, and they are typically rotated around departments. kind of like your new "high flyer" hence the higher salary.

type typical local bank analyst fresh from university would get about $2.5K

Unregistered 28-05-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6705)
Yes. CIMB, DBS, Kim Eng etc are local brokers, not bulge bracket investment banks. They can't attract top foreign grads, so they usually recruit undergraduates from local U. However, usually only the top local grads can get analyst jobs. Typical starting salary is simply what local grads start at around $2-3K/pm. However, if you are good, it could double within a year. However, to get the super salary, you need to make a name for yourself to get a chance to get into bulge bracket, since they don't typically hire analysts from local U (some of them will take in a RA from local U)

CIMB actually pays quite well once you move up the ranks. The base is lower than the BBs but heard the bonus is very good.

I heard their average bonus in one year for their corporate finance team was 2-yrs, with the top guy getting 8-yrs bonus.

not a bad gig at all... but as with most FO roles, not that easy to get in