Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Default cfa

Hi guys,

Currently a year 3 Engineering undergraduate in a local U.
Thinking of taking the coming CFA level 1.
Other than in the banking industry, how would a CFA benefit my prospects?

I don't intend to stay (or even start) in engineering, would most likely try for banking ops, but just would like to know how much value a CFA would add to my resume and whether it will be beneficial to take it now.

Please advise!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Post Commisioning Engineer

Hi All,

Any Commissioning Engineer here ? Working for Shipyard or build rigs ? What are the routine and non-routine work scope like ? Hope 1 or 2 can share their experiences as I'm going to apply for it which ad did not state details...just general info.

Thank you

**The job seems can satisfy my family and myself $$ need and yet enjoy engineering stuff.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys,

Currently a year 3 Engineering undergraduate in a local U.
Thinking of taking the coming CFA level 1.
Other than in the banking industry, how would a CFA benefit my prospects?

I don't intend to stay (or even start) in engineering, would most likely try for banking ops, but just would like to know how much value a CFA would add to my resume and whether it will be beneficial to take it now.

Please advise!
Whole CFA certification takes around 2-3 years and u need to be in a financial-related position to be granted CFA. CFA would NOT add any value unless u r in a position to provide sound financial information to customers. that's what the whole CFA is about - certified to provide financial analysis.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Verified Member

laguna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whole CFA certification takes around 2-3 years and u need to be in a financial-related position to be granted CFA. CFA would NOT add any value unless u r in a position to provide sound financial information to customers. that's what the whole CFA is about - certified to provide financial analysis.
Passing rate for CFA is very low.
and it is not easy to earn a good living to provide financial services unless u have a lot of high networth customers, and exclusively using u only
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

Default that cfa guy again

There seemed to be poor prospects for engineers here in Singapore after asking seniors and doing some reading up on forums.

Therefore I'm thinking of taking CFA to carve out an smoother alternative path for me to go into banking.

But honestly the only thing I heard from my friends abt the employment scheme in banking is that CFA is prevalent in their industry therefore I'm considering it.

Anybody keen to advise on this?! Please help! Feb deadline to register is coming!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

For my situation, I graduated from the best schools in the world (oxbridge) with first class honours and have taken up a career in construction here in singapore ever since graduation. After a year now, I am commanding a pay of about 48k per annum which seems quite ok considering the industry in Sg. In spite of this relative low pay (to other industries i feel), I love my job to the brim where going to work is like going to the theme park everyday cos i enjoy the challenges and the work environment so much. There is so much to learn and so many ppl to meet. The sky is the limit in the number of ways i can grow. Very supportive colleagues also goes a long way in creating this enthusiastism.

Yet when I look at the overall picture of things, I am still not sure if I have chosen the right path. It has been for passion all the way up till now, when I seem to have hit an emotional dead end. Of cos its simply because of the *drum roll* dollar sign. Fellow peers with my credentials and years of experience are earning 6 digits in USD and GBP and drawing 500k in bonuses from banking firms. Comparing with them always completely demoralises me. Right now, I am beginning to CONSIDER a switch in career before its too late. Who knows, maybe its not the passion in engineering that excites me but the just passion to excel..

Will earning that much money actually satisfy this ever growing desire to succeed?

I am not looking for a reply. It just feels like a good place to rant for now.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
For my situation, I graduated from the best schools in the world (oxbridge) with first class honours and have taken up a career in construction here in singapore ever since graduation. After a year now, I am commanding a pay of about 48k per annum which seems quite ok considering the industry in Sg. In spite of this relative low pay (to other industries i feel), I love my job to the brim where going to work is like going to the theme park everyday cos i enjoy the challenges and the work environment so much. There is so much to learn and so many ppl to meet. The sky is the limit in the number of ways i can grow. Very supportive colleagues also goes a long way in creating this enthusiastism.

Yet when I look at the overall picture of things, I am still not sure if I have chosen the right path. It has been for passion all the way up till now, when I seem to have hit an emotional dead end. Of cos its simply because of the *drum roll* dollar sign. Fellow peers with my credentials and years of experience are earning 6 digits in USD and GBP and drawing 500k in bonuses from banking firms. Comparing with them always completely demoralises me. Right now, I am beginning to CONSIDER a switch in career before its too late. Who knows, maybe its not the passion in engineering that excites me but the just passion to excel..

Will earning that much money actually satisfy this ever growing desire to succeed?

You are in the wrong profession. It's not that there is no money in engineering. There are lots of money in fact but it's for crass people who talk very loud at night clubs and know Geylang at the back of their palms.

The people in this industry are more impressed by your exploits with your L** JIAO than whether you are from JIAN QIAO.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

That's life in engineering. If you are able to ACCEPT little pay for a lot of work, life can still be bearable.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There seemed to be poor prospects for engineers here in Singapore after asking seniors and doing some reading up on forums.

Therefore I'm thinking of taking CFA to carve out an smoother alternative path for me to go into banking.

But honestly the only thing I heard from my friends abt the employment scheme in banking is that CFA is prevalent in their industry therefore I'm considering it.

Anybody keen to advise on this?! Please help! Feb deadline to register is coming!
I would say don't bother.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

As mentioned somewhere in this discussion forum (could be another website), first try to get into a support function with a local bank.

Strategy is to get one foot in, then figure out how to move to a business function role and/or to a foreign bank.

Good luck and please update us on your progress.