Really that bad for engineers? - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 24-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

lol yea take biz degree. i nv understand y backstabbing pple in office, seducing boss and being involved in money laundering requires a degree. lots of hong kong mafia do so without leh.

sry sad to say, if u are a kia si guai kia, like all the rest of the typical sgp. go ahead take biz degree and do office work if u like. so wat if u manager? still sit in office sucking up to higher boss, who most prob is the most evil corprate guy in the bank or watever u work in. u will never be satisfied cos there will always be some evil ang moh boss on top of u, suck it man since we are asian.

asia dont have that many mncs, many of those yearn to leech on the ang moh mncs for a living.

and dont bother to go biz finance **** if u r not tt type of person who dont mind to be in the 18th level of hell when u die. u onli make it big if u r a bad guy.

Old 24-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Puzzler

May i ask is it the HSE good?
Anyone here can give me some comment on this career path?
How can get a good pay in this career..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's still not too late. Study hard and graduate with first class honours and I don't think you will have a problem clinching a cushy job in the financial industry. But if you still want to be an engineer, do keep in mind the following points.

1) Choose the correct industries i.e. industries that pays the most with the highest salaries and bonuses. At the top of this list would be the petrochemical and oil & gas industries. The next would be the offshore & marine and probably the aerospace industries. Avoid construction and manufacturing at all cost.

2) Don't restrict yourself to Singapore. The reality is that Singapore is a financial hub and not an engineering hub. Be open to job opportunities overseas.

3) There are other job roles that require an engineering degree but these roles are not engineering roles. These includes contracts, planner, estimator, sales, procurement, business development, project management, safety i.e. HSE and so on. Depending again on the industries, some of such roles can be rather lucrative too.

Old 25-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
is there any engineer in this fricking singapore who is happy with his life , work n money...
hard to believe, but i am! i dont earn much, but im contented with what i have, i can eat 5 times a day (2 of which are snacks), i can buy what i want, i can go wherever i want to go, i play, work hard then play again, got roof over my head....life is not all about money, life is about balance of everything...engineering is about balance of everything which in turn creates something...

just my dime, working in financial company or working in engineering industry are both same dilemma ...it's a "rat race" of different degree!

you want comfort in life? ...you must hit 2 birds in one bullet!
1) go be a smart engineer and learn the tools of the trade,
2) then use your talent and engg experience to build your first business venture
3)then as your venture grow, you gradually progress to its financial aspects

there you go....2 industries with 1 you

thats a smart engineer.

think wozniak!

Old 25-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Default Not all THAT bad

Hope to give a timely boost to future engineers' morales.

I'm finishing my 6th year as an engineer and currently drawing about $130k annually with all bonuses thrown in. I'm also lucky enough to enjoy what I'm doing at the moment.

My advice is to establish and maintain good contacts, and be willing to adapt, change and get out of your comfort zone. Most importantly, be happy with what you have and enjoy life.
Old 25-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hope to give a timely boost to future engineers' morales.

I'm finishing my 6th year as an engineer and currently drawing about $130k annually with all bonuses thrown in. I'm also lucky enough to enjoy what I'm doing at the moment.

My advice is to establish and maintain good contacts, and be willing to adapt, change and get out of your comfort zone. Most importantly, be happy with what you have and enjoy life.
can i know what industry are u working in.
r u in the private sector engineering or government sector engineering???
Old 25-06-2010, 12:05 PM

keynesian slave is on a distinguished road
Default Rofl

Quote:
lol yea take biz degree. i nv understand y backstabbing pple in office, seducing boss and being involved in money laundering requires a degree. lots of hong kong mafia do so without leh.

sry sad to say, if u are a kia si guai kia, like all the rest of the typical sgp. go ahead take biz degree and do office work if u like. so wat if u manager? still sit in office sucking up to higher boss, who most prob is the most evil corprate guy in the bank or watever u work in. u will never be satisfied cos there will always be some evil ang moh boss on top of u, suck it man since we are asian.

asia dont have that many mncs, many of those yearn to leech on the ang moh mncs for a living.

and dont bother to go biz finance **** if u r not tt type of person who dont mind to be in the 18th level of hell when u die. u onli make it big if u r a bad guy.
LOL dude u seem to have some serious misconception about a career in finance. Ooooo it's teeming with 'most evil corporate guys' and evil ang mohs going to 18th level of hell...true if you are working on Hell's central Bank which mints lunar 7th month hell notes hahaha haha

You are wrong cos' these days, it's is perhaps more likely for your boss to be an Indian national instead of a caucasian if you are working in a bank. =)

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
fir

I've just started my first job in a semiconductor R&D MNC here in SG. I must say that not everyone can earn big bucks as an engineer.

Firstly, quite a number of MNCs are still quite traditional (at least I find mine is) and they hire their own people first in top positions. If they can't find someone from their side to take up the position, they'll release it to someone who has a long history in the company (10-15 years maybe?)

Secondly, like how my boss actually puts it, "if you are in your early 30s and you still haven't rise up to somewhat a managerial level or not able to take large tasks and responsibilities yourself as an engineer, forget about continuing down the path." To earn big $ in an engineering firm, one has to stand out. There're hundreds of engineers but only a handful are exceptional.

Lastly, do look at what your company does. IMO, those company at the bottom of the tech chain usually suffers the most. For example, semi-con MNCs get paid very low because they're squeezed by their clients who are then squeezed by their clients and so forth. That's one of the reason why gadgets are becoming cheaper these days

So when everything wraps up, it seems that the only people who can earn and stay long in an engineering firm are those who are smart and those who have passion for the job. Being good at your job is a no-brainer explanation. Having passion on the other hand allows one to look beyond the merits of $. For those who just want to go to engineering for the money, engineers in SG are not paid lucratively as people used to say.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Not sure

seeing some of the engineers here posting their high salaries make me wonder if it is all true..
i just grad and only started at my job for 3 days in a european MNC in the quality dept..
i grad with 3rd class(my fyp was a bitch) in mech eng.. and i draw a basic of 2.6k.. and what i have is only a contract of 1 year..

sigh..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Millionaire Member

Wiseman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why engineering need 4 yrs to complete but bank & finance or accountancy only take 3 year? Why a 4 yrs engineering course can't be drawing higher salary or as prestige as a law studies (4 yrs) or Medicine course (5,6 yrs)?

If a 4 yrs course earning lesser that a 3 yrs course with inclusive of 1 yrs of opportunity cost losses, who will want to take up engineering course?
It is a no brainer to choose Acct/Finance careers over Engineering careers, at least in Singapore, due to the following:
(1)Singapore is a Global Finance/Banking Hub, not Eng/Science Hub
(2)Short 3 yr Uni Direct Honours course in Acct/Finance compared to 4 yr for Engineering
(3) Significantly lower tuition fees for Finance courses compared to Eng courses
(4) Relaxing undergraduate life with 16 hr study week for Acct/Finance courses compared with 40 hr gruelling study week for Eng courses (with plentiful time left to chase skirts)
(5) Upon graduation, likely to work in nice swanky downtown offices, dress in nice power suits and surrounded by attractive young office gals compared to Engineering jobs mostly in some ulu parts of Jurong/Tuas surrounded by foreign male technicians

This is my real life experience based on what I saw my Eng friends went through. I am a Acct/Finance grad and never regretted my choice. You only need 1 Financial Controller/Director in 1 MNC but you need many Engineers, so who will be better compensated? The answer is obvious. I graduated about 13 yrs ago, am 36 yrs old and makes about 15K a month as a Finance Director in a software company. My Buddy slog in Engineering line for about 10years before being made an Eng manager and he is only making half of what I make. No offence to Engineers here but what I have said here are facts!!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:36 AM

yangster1984 is on a distinguished road

I just graduated from NTU mech engineering too. I have just joined a company in the water treatment industry. Any one out there in the same industry. I need some advice on the prospect in this industry