Really that bad for engineers? - Page 92 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 18-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

Can anyone please advice me on this.

I stupidly gave the interviewer too low a figure for my expected pay, ~$2.7k. Is it possible the company might offer me higher than my expected?

Old 18-03-2013, 11:18 AM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can anyone please advice me on this.

I stupidly gave the interviewer too low a figure for my expected pay, ~$2.7k. Is it possible the company might offer me higher than my expected?
Yea. I suggest you tell them on your next interview or if that was the last or only interview, call that and tell them that you are not comfortable with the starting salary. Just admit that you have made a mistake of quoting a low starting salary. MNCs are usually open for discussion.

Old 18-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Yea. I suggest you tell them on your next interview or if that was the last or only interview, call that and tell them that you are not comfortable with the starting salary. Just admit that you have made a mistake of quoting a low starting salary. MNCs are usually open for discussion.
Should I wait for the job offer before contacting them or should I wait for them to contact me jest?

Old 18-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Should I wait for the job offer before contacting them or should I wait for them to contact me jest?
Sorry I meant should I wait for the job offer first or should I contact them beforehand?
Old 18-03-2013, 04:02 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry I meant should I wait for the job offer first or should I contact them beforehand?
Oh. Then wait for them to contact you. Because you might not even be shortlisted at the first place. If they happened to call you then you highlight to them that you wanted to amend the starting salary that you quoted last time. If they call you means they are interested to hire you then will come the salary package discussion. For MNCs even you sometimes quote low they might no want you because you are not suitable.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

I graduated 1 year and 8 month ago from NUS, with a starting pay of 2800 in a MNC EPC firm. Now my salary is 3700 monthly excluding AWS. I was thinking of making a change esp. after reading so many posts same like here. But my motivation at work is my manager who is in early 30's and drives around with a BMW. He is the project manager for 3 to 4 projects and frequency of flight is around once a week. And he is not even from a engineering background.
He tells me that one have really to "perform" if he want promotion and increasement kind of stuff. I think that applies for every industry. You have to perform well then you begin bringing projects for your boss and make money.
Please remember average income in Sg is around 3 to 4 k. And a lot engineer in senior position in my company earns 15k to 20k monthly (of course they know how to bring money to the company exactly with their specialities.)

Old 21-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I graduated 1 year and 8 month ago from NUS, with a starting pay of 2800 in a MNC EPC firm. Now my salary is 3700 monthly excluding AWS. I was thinking of making a change esp. after reading so many posts same like here. But my motivation at work is my manager who is in early 30's and drives around with a BMW. He is the project manager for 3 to 4 projects and frequency of flight is around once a week. And he is not even from a engineering background.
He tells me that one have really to "perform" if he want promotion and increasement kind of stuff. I think that applies for every industry. You have to perform well then you begin bringing projects for your boss and make money.
Please remember average income in Sg is around 3 to 4 k. And a lot engineer in senior position in my company earns 15k to 20k monthly (of course they know how to bring money to the company exactly with their specialities.)
Easier said then done. Most engineers are introvert and have problem even striking simple business conversation much less ask them to sell mega deals.

Asking engineers to be top performing salesman to bring in projects is as easy as asking salesman to do complex mathematical modelling - not gonna happen for 98% peeps.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Easier said then done. Most engineers are introvert and have problem even striking simple business conversation much less ask them to sell mega deals.

Asking engineers to be top performing salesman to bring in projects is as easy as asking salesman to do complex mathematical modelling - not gonna happen for 98% peeps.
I agree with u too, engineer managers surely earn substantial salary every month. There may be several dozens of managers in a big company, but without a doubt, there will be even more normal staffs in a company, you must be the most standout to become one of them.....if nt, you will stuck by earning peanuts every month...... The likelihood of becoming one of them in the early 30s is sometimes considered low unless you are really good in this field....
Old 14-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Unregistered

Default Shell and ExxonMobil

Hi i am interested to find out what is the benefits between Shell and ExxonMobil.

I am planning to apply for a job in one of the company.

Not sure anyone can advise on the following
- Bonus
- Medical benefits
- Annual Leave entitlements
- Petrol Discount entitlements

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Verified Member

ZoOq is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I am glad that this thread do exist who engineers share the same sentiment and acknowledge how bad the prospect of engineer is being brought down by ft and understanding that SG is a financial hub where engineering is not much of value here. As I am looking at a bigger picture in 20 yrs time. Tats y, I juz quit SAF after being regular for 8 yrs, currently 28 yr old holding engineering degree with m5 and m9 certs. Wanted to move on to the finance or banking sector. No doubt it may not be guarantee I will be able to do well in this industry, but i would still give a try. Planning to first step into banking sales and currently waiting for my referrer lobang to revert. But yet the future path remain quite vivid for me coz I am rather new to the industry. Any advise for foresight or advancement of my career path should I set and aim for as i believe I can't be doing normal banking sales forever unless I am doing very well with work life balance in this line. Afterall, banking sales is more for youngsters. Best is someone who went thru my path could advise and share his/her story and see if banking sales exp could bridge to any other better career prospect in banking or finance sector such as business analyst.