Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 21-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have about 9 years of experience as a process engineer, can anyone give me an idea of the estimated pay from ExxonMobil or Shell?
It depends on your performance. I can comment for one of the 2 companies above as I work for one of them, though will not name it. But I believe both companies pay fairly similarly. The below also assumes one starts out as a fresh graduate in the company.
High performers whom I know are getting $250k all in after 9 years and these people are mostly no longer working as process engineers. Average performers are around $160k all in. Low performers around $120k all in.

Old 23-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It depends on your performance. I can comment for one of the 2 companies above as I work for one of them, though will not name it. But I believe both companies pay fairly similarly. The below also assumes one starts out as a fresh graduate in the company.
High performers whom I know are getting $250k all in after 9 years and these people are mostly no longer working as process engineers. Average performers are around $160k all in. Low performers around $120k all in.

Thanks for the info.
Care to share the benefits (i.e. medical / dental benefits, leave entitlement, petrol discount entitlement etc.)

Old 26-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Default Exxon Mobil Bonus

From threads on this website, I understand all perm staff at EM gets a fixed bonus of 3 months. Is this true? Because I am hearing from friends that the amount of bonus depends on the division you work in.

Old 26-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
From threads on this website, I understand all perm staff at EM gets a fixed bonus of 3 months. Is this true? Because I am hearing from friends that the amount of bonus depends on the division you work in.
I don't work for EM. I am with Shell, however our salary packages are fairly similar. In Shell you do get a 3 months fixed bonus. However rather than viewing it as a bonus, you should see it as your total annual salary being divided into 15 months rather than 12. On top of this fixed annual salary (which includes the 3 months bonus) we will also get a performance bonus which is variable. Depending on your job function this performance bonus can be extremely huge and variable. For example, those in sales for certain business lines can stand to make as high as 10-12 months worth of variable bonus if they perform very well making money for the company. The downside is that you can also not get anything if you perform poorly.

Before you start jumping up and down wanting to join the company, please note that the above are typically not applicable to managers. The scheme described is for the sales reps (there is a somewhat similar scheme for oil traders) at what I would call lower job groups (ie. lower base salaries)...front-line troops who are given huge incentives to make money for the company. Senior managers tend to get higher base salaries and their variable bonuses (plus additional performance shares awarded) will have a higher component tied to the company's overall performance rather than individual business performance. The ratio of overall variable to fixed salary will be much lower compared to the front line sales staff described above.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the scheme for engineers. If they have reached managerial positions, it would be similar to other managers regardless of function, else I am sure there will be incentives to compensate for various hardships (eg shift work etc)

Trust this helps
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't work for EM. I am with Shell, however our salary packages are fairly similar. In Shell you do get a 3 months fixed bonus. However rather than viewing it as a bonus, you should see it as your total annual salary being divided into 15 months rather than 12. On top of this fixed annual salary (which includes the 3 months bonus) we will also get a performance bonus which is variable. Depending on your job function this performance bonus can be extremely huge and variable. For example, those in sales for certain business lines can stand to make as high as 10-12 months worth of variable bonus if they perform very well making money for the company. The downside is that you can also not get anything if you perform poorly.

Before you start jumping up and down wanting to join the company, please note that the above are typically not applicable to managers. The scheme described is for the sales reps (there is a somewhat similar scheme for oil traders) at what I would call lower job groups (ie. lower base salaries)...front-line troops who are given huge incentives to make money for the company. Senior managers tend to get higher base salaries and their variable bonuses (plus additional performance shares awarded) will have a higher component tied to the company's overall performance rather than individual business performance. The ratio of overall variable to fixed salary will be much lower compared to the front line sales staff described above.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the scheme for engineers. If they have reached managerial positions, it would be similar to other managers regardless of function, else I am sure there will be incentives to compensate for various hardships (eg shift work etc)

Trust this helps
I am not so familiar with operating companies. Been with EPC companies all the while. Is it fair to say Engineers at operating companies earn more than those working in EPC companies? If I am looking to jump ship, how much salary increment should I expect? Thanks.
Old 19-03-2018, 02:19 AM
Unregistered

Hi all,

I'm a fresh grad, B.Eng Mech. Engineering from NUS. Been working for a local oil & gas EPC as a project engineer for 8 months now. Basic is 2k8, is it too low? My work has been mostly site coordination, progress monitoring, material request/control & lots of paper work. I feel that my work is not engineering enough and more on admin. If i were to join a consultancy, would I get to do more engineering work? I'm also thinking I should get the P.E certification now since I just graduated and my memory still fresh but dunno if it's worth the effort (I have very limited time outside of work). Between doing engineering and project management, which career path is more recommended?

Old 19-03-2018, 11:40 PM

Unknown123 is on a distinguished road

I am facing the same situation as you but I am in this industry(as a contract staff, how abt you?) for almost 3 years. If I am not wrong, in order to get PE, it is mandatory to have a few years of experience...

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a fresh grad, B.Eng Mech. Engineering from NUS. Been working for a local oil & gas EPC as a project engineer for 8 months now. Basic is 2k8, is it too low? My work has been mostly site coordination, progress monitoring, material request/control & lots of paper work. I feel that my work is not engineering enough and more on admin. If i were to join a consultancy, would I get to do more engineering work? I'm also thinking I should get the P.E certification now since I just graduated and my memory still fresh but dunno if it's worth the effort (I have very limited time outside of work). Between doing engineering and project management, which career path is more recommended?
Old 20-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

Umm? Just curious what is your class of honours? 2.8k seems really low for the basic pay esp for a NUS grad. I had companies who offered me that range but I rejected all of them. Eventually, I manged to find a job which offers about 3.5k range? But I'm still waiting for them to call me down to sign the contract. I'm a fresh grad from EE nus btw. The pay scale for EE and ME is about the same since they lump us tgt as m&e usually so you can roughly gauge the differences.

The problem with project engineers is that it's not truly a technical job and you're not really learning to be a proper engineer. It's more of project management and there are no needs for you to be a LEW or even PE in this route. I suggest you jump to m&e consultancy field if your intention is to become a LEW/PE in the future. The design aspect is very important for a PE field.
Old 24-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Umm? Just curious what is your class of honours? 2.8k seems really low for the basic pay esp for a NUS grad. I had companies who offered me that range but I rejected all of them. Eventually, I manged to find a job which offers about 3.5k range? But I'm still waiting for them to call me down to sign the contract. I'm a fresh grad from EE nus btw. The pay scale for EE and ME is about the same since they lump us tgt as m&e usually so you can roughly gauge the differences.

The problem with project engineers is that it's not truly a technical job and you're not really learning to be a proper engineer. It's more of project management and there are no needs for you to be a LEW or even PE in this route. I suggest you jump to m&e consultancy field if your intention is to become a LEW/PE in the future. The design aspect is very important for a PE field.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm 2nd lower. my basic is 2.8k but I'm sort of "required" to work Saturday since this is construction work and Sat is considered OT. OT pay is ok i guess, after taken in allowances and OT, my pay roughly 3.4 to 3.5k. But i spend tons of hours at work

I agree with you on project engineers are not doing true engineering work. In order to become PE, one needs to have at least 2 yrs of exp under supervision of another PE so working for consultant is definitely a must I think. I've been doing some search but it seems like consultancy are not hiring? Anyway, I'm on a dilemma whether I should make the switch. Project management seems to have a potential to grow as I go further in this career path but managing work just bore the hell out of me, feeling like all the technical stuff i learnt in NUS is wasted.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm 2nd lower. my basic is 2.8k but I'm sort of "required" to work Saturday since this is construction work and Sat is considered OT. OT pay is ok i guess, after taken in allowances and OT, my pay roughly 3.4 to 3.5k. But i spend tons of hours at work

I agree with you on project engineers are not doing true engineering work. In order to become PE, one needs to have at least 2 yrs of exp under supervision of another PE so working for consultant is definitely a must I think. I've been doing some search but it seems like consultancy are not hiring? Anyway, I'm on a dilemma whether I should make the switch. Project management seems to have a potential to grow as I go further in this career path but managing work just bore the hell out of me, feeling like all the technical stuff i learnt in NUS is wasted.
I'm not sure what route you're interested in taking since everyone is different. But I feel that construction is typically the lower tier in terms of pay because I went for quite a few interviews within that field (including m&e consultancy).

With regards to the consultancy openings, there are definitely still jobs out there because I was offered a few roles (fresh grad) in some of the companies even tho I didnt accept it in the end. Pay wise is definitely lower than your current pay if u factor in the OT pay but if you feel that you need the experience in this field, it's not a bad place to start off.

For PE, typically you need at least 5 years(quickest) working experience and work under a PE for at least 2 projects (a certain amt cap) if I'm not wrong. Of course, that is on top of the 2 exams you need to take.

If you want to make a jump, I recommend you to finish up at least 1 year so you can count it as proper experience in ur CV. Since you're already about 8 months in. Anyway, our market is pretty bad in terms of progression wise so it doesn't really matter which field you decide to go to. All the good paying jobs are typically CS related or programming wise (at least within the engineering field).