Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 12-05-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoOq (Post 36739)
Yup I have no sales exp at all .. other than some m5 and m9 certs... consider zero exp... Nw waiting for interview in standard chart ... personal financial consultant ..

I have no O&G exp but just wonder do I stand a chance to transit into that industry..

Selling insurance or property is your best option. You can't get into a bank. Even rich kids from good overseas unis find it hard.

Unregistered 13-05-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoOq (Post 36739)
Yup I have no sales exp at all .. other than some m5 and m9 certs... consider zero exp... Nw waiting for interview in standard chart ... personal financial consultant ..

I have no O&G exp but just wonder do I stand a chance to transit into that industry..

You can try....

I work in a really small SME, O&G equipment trading, our sales engineer actually earns more than engineering director, however, we only hire sales engineer with background with at least 3 O&G coy. You can only sell to your friends becos O&G equipment are basically the same thing all day long

happyman 14-05-2013 02:27 PM

ZoOq, I understand where you coming from and I do share the same sentiment and headache as you did, except I am 2 yr younger than u which maybe put me in a better position than u... but afterall it really depend on individual capabilities, luck and network to determine one's success... I am also seeking for advise and hopefully there are pple who went thru our path and could share their real life exp and advises. ... u may refer to my thread..

Unregistered 14-05-2013 03:42 PM

I notice a lot of regulars after staying some years in SAF suddenly seem to have this burning desperation to get out of it. Most seem to want to get out because the existing job is simply too boring and/or they hear friends in the pte sector making big money and want to join them.

My sample size is not very big, but my observation is 4-6 years exc. NS obligation seems to be the danger period. After that they will be resigned to their fate and stay in SAF until retire.

Maybe more regulars who are thinking of getting out can share why you all want to leave SAF?

Unregistered 14-05-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36768)
Big question is how is he going to get into corporate banking??? I have never heard of any bank accept a SAF sergeant with no other experience or qualification to become a corporate banker to deal with CEOs and CFOs....

Start-off by doing SME banking sales loh. The foot soldiers of SME banking, selling all those cash management services, trade lines, business term loans, commercial property loans. Last time when I was in standchart they were always hiring sales managers cos turnover was super high.

But you would need some basic background in accounting to be able to at least understand company's financial statements etc. Unless you really do the most basic no-brainer business term loans.

Unregistered 14-05-2013 04:15 PM

Hi all,
what are the possible plans to get into the correct position level if one is currently underemployed?

Unregistered 14-05-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37022)
Start-off by doing SME banking sales loh. The foot soldiers of SME banking, selling all those cash management services, trade lines, business term loans, commercial property loans. Last time when I was in standchart they were always hiring sales managers cos turnover was super high.

But you would need some basic background in accounting to be able to at least understand company's financial statements etc. Unless you really do the most basic no-brainer business term loans.

Big question is the guy is a SAF technican with diploma in engineering, where got accounting background or exp in understanding financial statements???

Unregistered 15-05-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37026)
Big question is the guy is a SAF technican with diploma in engineering, where got accounting background or exp in understanding financial statements???

They got good experience in calculating mess funds and organising sports day funds. :D

Unregistered 15-05-2013 10:28 AM

its mselfEm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37026)

Then do those business term loan sales loh..the one really shitty, the lowest of the low. Just need to collect documents and can give out the loan already (someone else review the docs you collected). No analysis required, just learn on the job. Pay also damm low lol.

Unregistered 15-05-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37053)
Then do those business term loan sales loh..the one really shitty, the lowest of the low. Just need to collect documents and can give out the loan already (someone else review the docs you collected). No analysis required, just learn on the job. Pay also damm low lol.

so sad. that regular making 61k previously leh, ur kind of job can make even 25k or not?