Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 24-04-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24184)
Sometimes a career chooses us rather than we choose a career. For example, some people are not suitable to do sales. So even if the money is better and easier to earn than engineering, they will suffer doing it.

That's a nice way to console yourself, almost the same as saying all rich people aren't happy cos money can't buy them happiness.

Unregistered 24-04-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24185)
That's a nice way to console yourself, almost the same as saying all rich people aren't happy cos money can't buy them happiness.

That's a poor analogy. You can read about personality types and its relevance in career choices.

Unregistered 24-04-2012 11:22 PM

Sometimes I wonder, since all the engineers kpkb online, why still so many people go into engineering? Cos engineering is the biggest intake? Or too many eeediots liao

Unregistered 25-04-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24196)
Sometimes I wonder, since all the engineers kpkb online, why still so many people go into engineering? Cos engineering is the biggest intake? Or too many eeediots liao

No, they got dumped into engineering.

Unregistered 25-04-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24133)
They just set up an Engineering Academy to "encourage" young people to take up Engineering.

Will it be the same as the Life Science wayang? Philip Yeo is there again.

Engineers' academy elects 75 as fellows

They only showcase the "successful" ones that made it..
Did they mention about the engineers who after retrenchment cannot get re-employed, then end up driving taxi or become karung guni?? BTW how many of these 75 success "engineers" actually made their wealth working as a hardcore engineer? It seems most of them are working in industry or job functions with nothing to do eg. managment, commercial, regulatory, financial related role.. I pity the fools that will be taken in and dedicate their lives into becoming cheap labour for the advancement of the country... To make it a better place for FT to come enjoy and s.h.i.t on their heads...

Unregistered 25-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24205)
No, they got dumped into engineering.

Every profession also got people kpkb lah. We have a lot of engineers kpkb because we have a lot of engineers mah. Just like we have a lot of taxis kana accidents on the road because a lot of taxis on the road mah. Simple maths.

LAE 25-04-2012 10:10 PM

Is the outlook really so bad?
 
I am currently halfway through an aerospace diploma in one of the polys and i must say that after reading this thread i feel extremely depressed. Really? It's that bad? When i graduate, i would seriously consider jumping to one of those damn office jobs and get a higher salary rather than slog my guts out for peanuts.

Unregistered 25-04-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAE (Post 24234)
I am currently halfway through an aerospace diploma in one of the polys and i must say that after reading this thread i feel extremely depressed. Really? It's that bad? When i graduate, i would seriously consider jumping to one of those damn office jobs and get a higher salary rather than slog my guts out for peanuts.

Aerospace is one where engineers can expect to get a reasonable salary.. Aerospace engineers are in demand, due to lack of supply, so your options will always be there.. Just as a diploma holder, you can expect to earn $10k/month as an LAE..

Unregistered 26-04-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24235)
Aerospace is one where engineers can expect to get a reasonable salary.. Aerospace engineers are in demand, due to lack of supply, so your options will always be there.. Just as a diploma holder, you can expect to earn $10k/month as an LAE..

This is no difference from saying, "toilet cleaners are in demand, so your options will always be there...Even without a diploma, you can expect to earn more than $10k/mth..." Nothing is impossible, so you can't say I'm wrong. And for your info, one of my friend as an aerospace enginner from local uni is on his verge of leaving the industry.

Unregistered 26-04-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24235)
Aerospace is one where engineers can expect to get a reasonable salary.. Aerospace engineers are in demand, due to lack of supply, so your options will always be there.. Just as a diploma holder, you can expect to earn $10k/month as an LAE..

The person giving this advice is definitely not an engineer!!
You'll be damn silly if you believe him...
There is no way anybody is going to pay 10k to a "employee with just a diploma"... that is assuming you had already passed out from the completion of the rigorous LAE internship training(BTW also earning peanuts allowance during training years)...
Even if you work lots of OT, no need to sleep, no need to eat.. Sell all your waking hours of your life to the company.. the most you can hit ard 4k-6k with allowance and OT all in.... Furthermore now OT is being "managed" to keep operating cost low... Listen to Uncle.. join a better industry... There is no future in the maintenance industry...


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2