Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 03-02-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20356)
Today, the old folks nowadays never teach at all. Last time, yes, senior teach but they will not share generously. Today, they don come and play you good enough. Today, the situation is like people throw you in the sea and you learn how to swim. And hope that people forgive your mistake and give you sufficient time to pick up.

In civil service, PAP create such a backbitting zero sum game culture that your colleague actually wish you to fail. In government job every year must rank and condemn at least 10%. So people actually want to sabo colleague so that they get rank higher.

Instead of creating a healthy environment PAP create some of the most odious coporate culture. We are doom if we dont get rid of PAP

LOL Civil service politics is like kindergarden play compared to corporate, the power dynamic is heirarchically simple and backstabbing is straight forward.

Try working in a matrix global environment where you haven't even meet face to face with most of your kakia in 7 countries and have 2 official boss and 2 dotted boss and 10+ "busines partner" who are half peer half kakia.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20360)
LOL Civil service politics is like kindergarden play compared to corporate, the power dynamic is heirarchically simple and backstabbing is straight forward.

Try working in a matrix global environment where you haven't even meet face to face with most of your kakia in 7 countries and have 2 official boss and 2 dotted boss and 10+ "busines partner" who are half peer half kakia.

U sound like you got alot of enemies at work huh?? everyday kenna "Back-stab" + "Left-stab" + "Right-stab"+ "Centre-stab"+"Butt-stabbed", "Balls-stabbed", etc... You must be full of stab-wounds at the end of everyday huh??

Unregistered 03-02-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20334)
All I have to say to fellow Singaporeans is, if the interviewing manager is Indian, be prepared. Indians invite non-india indian for interview not because he wants to hire, but to satisfy formalities of HR. He next thing he will do is to make the candidate feel very bad. Then he will announce to everyone Singaporeans cannot make it, only FT indians are good.

I once called to interview by a so call promising startup ixxxx (wait a minute, funded by singapore tax payer). I went inside the company, every single soul i see are indians.

The interviewing manager is a ft indian formerly working in a*.

i told the manager my background is electrical engineering and i deal with drivers and system software. you know what happen, that manager all the questions on computer science topic.

for the whole interview, i was ask sorting algorithm, searches, recursion, worse best case formulation...etc. I get damn sick at it. all engineers knew that it is impossible for engineerings to cover all area and each engineer has their special focus area.

Another company, kana interview by ft indian also. He throw questions he himselves cannot understand. I said I did software implementation of a certain communication protocol standards.

He interrogate me as if i am a criminal. ask me how come i do this and do that. then he implemented things in a easier way. But then he cannot explain.

He keep on his interrogation, and "click", I finally realise he did not know understand the intricate details of technical implementation. I probe further, and realise he uses a "straight forward IC implementation". While I am doing things from scratch.

But he conduct interview as if he is extremely smart (but actually he is stupid) make me sick to the core.

I bet these FTs only do that on Singaporeans.

let me add another thing. dont wwork for India boss of cse if u r indian you should.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20364)
let me add another thing. dont wwork for India boss of cse if u r indian you should.

Its really a sad thing. Everywhere in the world, foreigners cringe upon seeing the locals. For Singaporeans, we must run far far away from racist FT.

In Dubai, those FT Indian find insult locals will provoke a pogroms against infidels by patriotic mullahs, calling everyone to jihad.

Today, i saw newspaper, insulting singaporeans "cannot make it" for jobs again. So FT needed. Ta ma de. PAP go eat shiit.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20366)
BANK executive Mark Tan considers himself a minority in the Singapore-based foreign bank where he works.

It isn't because he is a member of a specialised team that sells and services e-commerce trading platforms.

It is because Mr Tan, 31, is one out of only five Singaporeans in the 12-man team. The rest are Employment Pass (EP) holders from Britain, Germany, India and the Philippines.

"In foreign banks, Singaporeans usually occupy the operational roles, while most of the trading and sales positions are occupied by foreigners," he said.

Singaporeans are unable to fill these roles as they lack the niche skill sets and experience, observed Ms Axer Goh, manager of the contracting division at professional recruitment consultancy Robert Walters Singapore.

Not enough S'poreans to fill specialised jobs

Look at how jokers of Asia1 and Robert Walters smear shiit on Singaporeans. They justify racism against Singaporeans by accusing singaporeans of incompetency.

For the example above, I do not believe only that joker Mark Tan can cope with the job. At 30 years old, how many lines of code have he written? How many language, different OS, communication protocol have he gone through?

Same with the team members.

Many in engineers in SG have written more than 300 000 lines of code.

What is so special about his platform that no one can sell in SG, and must bring FT? How many engineers developed that platform?

I bet with you a Windows OS is 10000 times more complicated that that stupiid trading platform. Yet you can see no so educated sales people selling windows OS in mama shop, harvey norman or challenger.

Today we see rampant RACISM against Singaporean. Many recruiting manager discriminate Singaporeans by calling us incompetent, "cannot find Singaporean engineers"...etc

Take down PAP.

Anonymous 03-02-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20368)
Look at how jokers of Asia1 and Robert Walters smear shiit on Singaporeans. They justify racism against Singaporeans by accusing singaporeans of incompetency.

For the example above, I do not believe only that joker Mark Tan can cope with the job. At 30 years old, how many lines of code have he written? How many language, different OS, communication protocol have he gone through?

Same with the team members.

Many in engineers in SG have written more than 300 000 lines of code.

What is so special about his platform that no one can sell in SG, and must bring FT? How many engineers developed that platform?

I bet with you a Windows OS is 10000 times more complicated that that stupiid trading platform. Yet you can see no so educated sales people selling windows OS in mama shop, harvey norman or challenger.

Today we see rampant RACISM against Singaporean. Many recruiting manager discriminate Singaporeans by calling us incompetent, "cannot find Singaporean engineers"...etc

Take down PAP.

do you know what racism means? no wonder people look down on us.

Unregistered 04-02-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20368)
Look at how jokers of Asia1 and Robert Walters smear shiit on Singaporeans. They justify racism against Singaporeans by accusing singaporeans of incompetency.

For the example above, I do not believe only that joker Mark Tan can cope with the job. At 30 years old, how many lines of code have he written? How many language, different OS, communication protocol have he gone through?

Same with the team members.

Many in engineers in SG have written more than 300 000 lines of code.

What is so special about his platform that no one can sell in SG, and must bring FT? How many engineers developed that platform?

I bet with you a Windows OS is 10000 times more complicated that that stupiid trading platform. Yet you can see no so educated sales people selling windows OS in mama shop, harvey norman or challenger.

Today we see rampant RACISM against Singaporean. Many recruiting manager discriminate Singaporeans by calling us incompetent, "cannot find Singaporean engineers"...etc

Take down PAP.

May not be good to hear but look, its a simple case of probability.

If you are going to pay globally competitive salaries, like the foreign banks, then you are going to attract talent from a global base, especially given our low tax rates (i.e. a London IB banker will earn the same salary as a Singapore IB banker in a global bank, but the Singapore IB banker takes home a lot more due to the taxes differential). Its hard for 5 million people to compete with 1billion plus in India, and a few hundred million native English speakers in Europe and the US for these jobs.

Plus, its the same thing in HK and London as well. For some coveted foreign bank jobs, the majority of employees would be non-citizens.

So have to climb up of your little well and face the reality of the big world out there.

Unregistered 04-02-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20373)
May not be good to hear but look, its a simple case of probability.

If you are going to pay globally competitive salaries, like the foreign banks, then you are going to attract talent from a global base, especially given our low tax rates (i.e. a London IB banker will earn the same salary as a Singapore IB banker in a global bank, but the Singapore IB banker takes home a lot more due to the taxes differential). Its hard for 5 million people to compete with 1billion plus in India, and a few hundred million native English speakers in Europe and the US for these jobs.

Plus, its the same thing in HK and London as well. For some coveted foreign bank jobs, the majority of employees would be non-citizens.

So have to climb up of your little well and face the reality of the big world out there.

Actually, its even worse in uk. Even the local banks like Barclays hire mostly foreigners for their highest paying dept because all EU citizens get the same employment rights in uk.

In other words, its not racism, its reality and its not a reality that's unique to Singapore.

Unregistered 04-02-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20375)
Actually, its even worse in uk. Even the local banks like Barclays hire mostly foreigners for their highest paying dept because all EU citizens get the same employment rights in uk.

In other words, its not racism, its reality and its not a reality that's unique to Singapore.

Thank you. I hope people understand that. I'm a Singaporean but somehow I can completely understand why we actually need FT.

I'd just like to add: I know you all look at numbers and feel there is so much FT here. It is my own gauge but I can claim that 70% of the FT here take up jobs that an average Singaporean would never want to even touch.

Unregistered 04-02-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20375)
Actually, its even worse in uk. Even the local banks like Barclays hire mostly foreigners for their highest paying dept because all EU citizens get the same employment rights in uk.

In other words, its not racism, its reality and its not a reality that's unique to Singapore.

Some races tend to accord special treatment to their own kind, forming cliques and hiring their own people. Do you experience that in the UK?

If in a UK bank, the French people only hire people from France, does the bank or the government do anything? Or do they simply turn a blind eye? And the Brits keep mum?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2