Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Anonymous 29-01-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20142)
U a billionaire??!! Yah right, ... i think you everyday eat "shix".. that's why you've gone mad... and to quote the words of our make-believe billionaire : "hahaha...... so funny"

it's okay lah. let him hallucinate. he's quite poor thing because he has a lousy job with no future. He's also having trouble getting along with his colleagues. That is really quite rare. I've observed that even for those who move at an average to slower pace, they are usually still able to blend in with the culture. He has trouble doing so. Not surprising that he has really low self esteem and needs to vent.

Unregistered 29-01-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20150)
it's okay lah. let him hallucinate. he's quite poor thing because he has a lousy job with no future. He's also having trouble getting along with his colleagues. That is really quite rare. I've observed that even for those who move at an average to slower pace, they are usually still able to blend in with the culture. He has trouble doing so. Not surprising that he has really low self esteem and needs to vent.

lol.....yawnzzz

Unregistered 30-01-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20150)

I read this on bloomberg terminal when i logged in this morning -'if you cant change your fate, change your attitude' by amy tan.

How true

Unregistered 30-01-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20187)
I read this on bloomberg terminal when i logged in this morning -'if you cant change your fate, change your attitude' by amy tan.

How true

What she means is you change your outlook of life. Be more contented, be less competitive.

In other words, con yourself into thinking you're happy.

Unregistered 30-01-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20188)
What she means is you change your outlook of life. Be more contented, be less competitive.

In other words, con yourself into thinking you're happy.

Yeah... that means even if you cannot make it in life.. Just imagine that you are a super successful multi-millionaire... Be self delusional...

Unregistered 02-02-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20130)
agree. this is an example of someone who bothers and manages to find a way out of a tough situation. good for u! many others here just whine about things. i also have another friend who did the nus mfe course in the mid 2000s on a part time basis and switched careers from semicon engrg to finance. she's currently based in jpmorgan, hk. i don't know exactly how much she earns, but im pretty sure it's a comfortable figure.

moral of the story is this: if you're really a talented engineer (graduating with a engineering degree does not automatically mean u are a talented) and managed to land a well paying job, thats good. if you're not that lucky and have the drive/ability to make a change, go for it. complaining doesnt help.

Moral of the story is do not follow the herd. Being in the herd means you are part of a mass produce. You won't get high pay this way. Venture into blue waters, think differently and be different.

Unregistered 02-02-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20107)
there are smart alex who keep on telling miracles over miracles trying to mis-inform us to "work hard". I am here wake everyone up. I am not interested about 1-2% who could pull off feats.

I am only interested in giving the general trueful picture, what most engineers are facing. The answer is "we are screwed".

You are screwed because you want to be screwed.

Engineer also have different kind.

If you are truly a talented engineer you won't be here whining.

How much time have you spend improving yourself in engineering knowledge outside of work? Do you have the passion for engineering in the first place.

Your ****ing problem is you attitude which is why you are screwed.

I am telling everyone here that it is possible to earn alot as an engineer. You need to be good at what you do. And find a company that treasure your ability if you can't. Then start your own company. If you have the attitude and the ability and the guts. You can make it!

Unregistered 03-02-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20309)

How much time have you spend improving yourself in engineering knowledge outside of work? Do you have the passion for engineering in the first place.

I am telling everyone here that it is possible to earn alot as an engineer. You need to be good at what you do. And find a company that treasure your ability if you can't. Then start your own company. If you have the attitude and the ability and the guts. You can make it!

What the guys are saying is that engineers in general, ON AVERAGE, do not make as much as people in finance. Fact: The top earning engineer makes much less than the top earning banker (check out those reports when ministerial pay was discussed the previous rounds).

There was this other joker who joked that he's a music composer for harmonica (in some other thread in this forum) - do you think he'll ever make a single cent? It will be harder than striking toto.

The guys here are just saying: Pick the RIGHT industry to join.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20309)

You are right. I am a toilet cleaner and I make 50k a month. First, I am a truly talented toilet cleaner and I spend all my free time reading and making myself more knowledgeable in how to clean a toilet better. I truly have a passion in cleaning toilets. I am the best of the best in this area and instead of whining, I rather honed my skill and be an expert toilet cleaner.
So for all toilet cleaners out there: Your ****ing problem is you attitude which is why you are screwed.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20323)
What the guys are saying is that engineers in general, ON AVERAGE, do not make as much as people in finance. Fact: The top earning engineer makes much less than the top earning banker (check out those reports when ministerial pay was discussed the previous rounds).

There was this other joker who joked that he's a music composer for harmonica (in some other thread in this forum) - do you think he'll ever make a single cent? It will be harder than striking toto.

The guys here are just saying: Pick the RIGHT industry to join.

All I am saying engineers are not screwed. You just need to have the right attitude and have a valuable skill sets.