Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 16-01-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 19766)
you are quite suay,

I have graduated from ntu eee with just a pass degree. until now i have applied for like 30 jobs (mostly IT jobs) but i haven't been called up for any interviews at all. any suggestions on what i can do?

and also, what kind of pay should i expect if i do get an interview and subsequently any offers?
my friend also EEE NTU, pass degree,

in ST engineering, working abt 6-7mth already...basic abt mid 3.1k..
going to get pro-rated bonus in march..total about 7k+ plus

Are you sure what you say is true? Only ST Aerospace pay that kind of salary. I just send my resume to ST A.

I have 8 years of engineering exp in MNC. ST A call me ask for my transcript. I am pass degree. Then they never reply me anymore.

DSTA same same....haha. Anyway, I quite despise them. Only ST Kinetic ask me to meet them without looking asking for my transcript. ST Marine never even reply.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 04:59 PM

oessre crites

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19765)
I have graduated from ntu eee with just a pass degree. until now i have applied for like 30 jobs (mostly IT jobs) but i haven't been called up for any interviews at all. any suggestions on what i can do?

and also, what kind of pay should i expect if i do get an interview and subsequently any offers?

Good luck. Maybe you can try go for ACCA do accounting. Normally engineering students cruise all the way, facing those goon-du business students.

You are almost unlikely to get design job. Can try production or wafer fab. Normally production, QA takes in lower grade graduate. (not much prospect)

Anyway design job now tough and little prospect also.

If you are mechanical u may try small oil and gas company piping job. If EEE, u may try small electrical installation company. Then can move into instrumentation. The pay is good if u manage to jump into big oil and gas leveraging on your experience.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19769)
Are you sure what you say is true? Only ST Aerospace pay that kind of salary. I just send my resume to ST A.

I have 8 years of engineering exp in MNC. ST A call me ask for my transcript. I am pass degree. Then they never reply me anymore.

DSTA same same....haha. Anyway, I quite despise them. Only ST Kinetic ask me to meet them without looking asking for my transcript. ST Marine never even reply.

actually i believe him. i have a friend who also had a pass degree from ntu eee. he is in st electronics with a starting pay of 3.2k. but i think he got in without interview as he had his attachment there.

do i actually have a chance of getting into an mnc with a pass degree?

Unregistered 16-01-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19771)
actually i believe him. i have a friend who also had a pass degree from ntu eee. he is in st electronics with a starting pay of 3.2k. but i think he got in without interview as he had his attachment there.

do i actually have a chance of getting into an mnc with a pass degree?

Yap, unless u IA there. Me NTU pass with merit. To be frank, I heard junior mention something like 80% of his friends in NTU not doing engineering job anymore.

I do not really know how is the market for pass graduate now. But apparently, many of my colleauge at least 2nd lower (very few, most 2nd upper). I am doing RnD.

You may try QA, production or Fab.

Bean 16-01-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19769)

it is true la, he last time from ITE then to poly, got 6mth working exp as assistant engineer after poly, then go 3 year ntu....apply ST aero in ntu career fair with expected pass degree, with just 1 interview.....and got in basic 3k in june, and he lucky july got wage adj +100...this month got another pro-rated increment...so his salary will be abt ~3150 after this....

after 1 month work in ST, he got another call from ST electronoic asking hime for interview he never apply thou..(last time he internship there)....too late that time he with STaero liao

Unregistered 16-01-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 19773)
it is true la, he last time from ITE then to poly, got 6mth working exp as assistant engineer after poly, then go 3 year ntu....apply ST aero in ntu career fair with expected pass degree, with just 1 interview.....and got in basic 3k in june, and he lucky july got wage adj +100...this month got another pro-rated increment...so his salary will be abt ~3150 after this....

after 1 month work in ST, he got another call from ST electronoic asking hime for interview he never apply thou..(last time he internship there)....too late that time he with STaero liao

got a colleague. Technically i am kind of better. He 2 upper. ST Aero want him like mad. but he refuse to go over because ST aero wont offer him more than 4k. He already drawing 4k in my company.

For fresh eng grad, 2 upper really helps alot even many years after you ROD. It makes you very mobile and land u on good company that pave the way for next jump.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19765)

Continue applying. Don't give up. About the pay part, don't expect too high since you are just a fresh grad (and just pass degree only). First thing is to get a foot into the industry you want to join even if the starting pay is low and work extremely hard from then on to learn.

Most important thing is to learn. Find something you are good at and master it. The more you learn, the better prepared you are to negotiate for higher pay either in the same company or another company in the industry.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19776)
Continue applying. Don't give up. About the pay part, don't expect too high since you are just a fresh grad (and just pass degree only). First thing is to get a foot into the industry you want to join even if the starting pay is low and work extremely hard from then on to learn.

Most important thing is to learn. Find something you are good at and master it. The more you learn, the better prepared you are to negotiate for higher pay either in the same company or another company in the industry.

thanks. trust me, money isn't the issue for me right now. as long as the job is right, i'm willing to accept anything above 2k for now. like what u said, i just want to get my foot in the industry first where i can learn and develop my career.

i won't give up. not now atleast. it's been only 20 days since i started trying to find a job. i have friends who took months to find one. i just needed to know what are the chances (if any) of me landing a respectable IT job (which is really an area of strong interest to me).

Unregistered 16-01-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19776)

NEARLY one in four IT workers want to quit their jobs, according to a survey conducted by the Singapore Computer Society (SCS).

Around 23 per cent of respondents said they intend to leave the industry for a new career.

The poll also showed that younger workers, especially new entrants to the industry, have a stronger desire to leave it.

While the poll did not say why, The Straits Times spoke to 20 infocomm professionals - and reasons such as low prestige and a poor work-life balance came out tops.

To tell you the truth, many engineer want to go finance. The pay is extremely low here. MSM over hype it.

So it maybe better for you to take a biz degree in SIM or MDIS, or ACCA and go finance.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19778)
NEARLY one in four IT workers want to quit their jobs, according to a survey conducted by the Singapore Computer Society (SCS).

Around 23 per cent of respondents said they intend to leave the industry for a new career.

The poll also showed that younger workers, especially new entrants to the industry, have a stronger desire to leave it.

While the poll did not say why, The Straits Times spoke to 20 infocomm professionals - and reasons such as low prestige and a poor work-life balance came out tops.

To tell you the truth, many engineer want to go finance. The pay is extremely low here. MSM over hype it.

So it maybe better for you to take a biz degree in SIM or MDIS, or ACCA and go finance.

yeah, that is my eventual plan la. to go into the finance sector. but i feel i need some engeering experience first, and i would just like to work for 2-3 years before furthering my studies.