Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 13-01-2012 01:21 PM

2000 graduated from nus
$2.8k first job , quit 4 yrs later with $3.5k

$4.3k 2nd job, work till now
4 promotions in 7 years.
$90k per an, bonus close to $20k
No AWS.

By the way, I'm local.

Unregistered 13-01-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19712)
2000 graduated from nus

4 promotions in 7 years.
No AWS.

By the way, I'm local.

At this level, you should be a manager. I plead that you give chances to your Singaporeans juniors. Nowadays, more than 80% cannot find engineering jobs.

Everyone is piss. Only PAP is happy. Singaporeans has indeed become the lowest class of untouchable as per design by PAP.

Unregistered 13-01-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

2000 graduated from nus

4 promotions in 7 years.
No AWS.

By the way, I'm local.

My I know is your current salary in par as your peers or you are the better one?

Based on your above, you have 11 years of working experience and yr salary is 7.5k/mth. + roughly 2.5 mth bonus

Unregistered 14-01-2012 12:17 AM

Not manager, now just promoted to principle eng. and not sure how much is the increment. A/w official letter. Should be receiving in these few days, was checking online and that was how I know this forum. The above pay was before promo.

I'm interviewer and most of the resume we received are non sg, I also don't know why. Mostly prc, studied master in sg or Indian from India. Higher rank than me mostly hired from oversea and fly to sg as exp.

Not sure if mine is better than my peers because we never share this. But most of them are staying in pte hs. From what I know, one of them from SQ and drawing 6 months bonus. Another one was earning $9k from RBS. Also staying at FH condo. Mine is gradually increase year over year. my apraisal is rating 1, since 7 yrs ago.

Unregistered 14-01-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19722)
Not manager, now just promoted to principle eng. and not sure how much is the increment. A/w official letter. Should be receiving in these few days, was checking online and that was how I know this forum. The above pay was before promo.

I'm interviewer and most of the resume we received are non sg, I also don't know why. Mostly prc, studied master in sg or Indian from India. Higher rank than me mostly hired from oversea and fly to sg as exp.

Not sure if mine is better than my peers because we never share this. But most of them are staying in pte hs. From what I know, one of them from SQ and drawing 6 months bonus. Another one was earning $9k from RBS. Also staying at FH condo. Mine is gradually increase year over year. my apraisal is rating 1, since 7 yrs ago.

Well-done! Congratulations to your promotion. At the rate you are going, you should overtake your SQ friend (downturn in airline industry due to carbon tax, recession in Europe) and RBS friend (RAS announced culling of 5k IBers, and shrinking the operations) in next few years.

Which industry are you working in?
I work in philips R&D and after 10years, still only earning 2/3 of your base despite having a masters from NUS, and 2nd upper from overseas uni

Unregistered 14-01-2012 01:21 PM

stendei metksh

I have worked in a company doing R&D. A manager (officially software architect) of my department is a PRC. He hired 100% PRC not a single Singaporeans. His PRC candidate are of dubious background that can be replace 100% by Singaporeans.

Out of 8-9 engineers under him, only 1-2 from EECS background, while the rest are civil, mechanical, who get in because they do a master course in computing, some in places like Informatics.

He took in a lady who knows nothing, from a university in PRC open shop in this century. Nevertheless, I see them well treated, well take care and free of office politics. Singaporeans suffered all the games played by our managers.

Another manager from the company is a Malaysian. He did hire some non-Malaysians but make sure every Singaporeans suffer abuses under him. Many senior Singaporeans engineers left. He cued the Malaysians to bully Singaporeans (to some extend PRC) engineers. I often saw Singaporeans being humiliated with crudest languages by Malaysians colleagues beyond my imaginations.

The higher managers of the companies are Singaporeans. They empower foreigners because of their insecurities against Singaporeans. To them, foreigners are tools that probably threaten them less than locals because their command of English hinders them a little in promotion to the higher operation level. Foreigners can be trusted with technicals and upper level boss will be assured its difficult for them to have extras portfolio under their belt due to language barriers. While smart Singaporeans are certainly a threat.

The upper Singaporean managers are quite idle forgetting their technicals long long time ago. They said now they "focus on management", which means they play politics.

Singaporeans are forced to stooge. I saw a Singaporean engineer trying to fight the PRC manager on technical issues with valid points. In the end, he was accused of not being reasonable and quarrelsome. He was asked to leave.

Whenever I asked my managers why are they so few Singaporeans despite having produced at least 3000-4000 EECS graduates per year, they told me "very few" Singaporeans applied.

The company do not have proper scheme for training new graduates because they have been pampered by PAP FT policies which enable them to hire among 7 billion foreigners.

In the past, its easier for fresh grad to get a entry level job because of lower expectations and more forgiving managers during the first 1-2 years. This is no longer the case as bosses can now hire from 7 billion overseas. They are mean and demanding.

Salary is also quite depress, so students get the wind of it. Fewer good students want to go engineering. Good graduate do not want to do engineering job. Hence, bosses lobby for more foreigners...etc vicious cycle continues.

What bosses mean "very few" Singaporeans applied is, they cannot find 1st class 2nd upper Singaporeans candidate. I told my managers (a PRC as well) about this foreigners issue and she told me, "Singaporean should not envy foreigners".

This batch of managers who are the baby boomers has clearly let the young Singaporeans down.

Unregistered 14-01-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19727)
I have worked in a company doing R&D. A manager (officially software architect) of my department is a PRC. He hired 100% PRC not a single Singaporeans. His PRC candidate are of dubious background that can be replace 100% by Singaporeans.

Out of 8-9 engineers under him, only 1-2 from EECS background, while the rest are civil, mechanical, who get in because they do a master course in computing, some in places like Informatics.

He took in a lady who knows nothing, from a university in PRC open shop in this century. Nevertheless, I see them well treated, well take care and free of office politics. Singaporeans suffered all the games played by our managers.

Another manager from the company is a Malaysian. He did hire some non-Malaysians but make sure every Singaporeans suffer abuses under him. Many senior Singaporeans engineers left. He cued the Malaysians to bully Singaporeans (to some extend PRC) engineers. I often saw Singaporeans being humiliated with crudest languages by Malaysians colleagues beyond my imaginations.

The higher managers of the companies are Singaporeans. They empower foreigners because of their insecurities against Singaporeans. To them, foreigners are tools that probably threaten them less than locals because their command of English hinders them a little in promotion to the higher operation level. Foreigners can be trusted with technicals and upper level boss will be assured its difficult for them to have extras portfolio under their belt due to language barriers. While smart Singaporeans are certainly a threat.

The upper Singaporean managers are quite idle forgetting their technicals long long time ago. They said now they "focus on management", which means they play politics.

Singaporeans are forced to stooge. I saw a Singaporean engineer trying to fight the PRC manager on technical issues with valid points. In the end, he was accused of not being reasonable and quarrelsome. He was asked to leave.

Whenever I asked my managers why are they so few Singaporeans despite having produced at least 3000-4000 EECS graduates per year, they told me "very few" Singaporeans applied.

The company do not have proper scheme for training new graduates because they have been pampered by PAP FT policies which enable them to hire among 7 billion foreigners.

In the past, its easier for fresh grad to get a entry level job because of lower expectations and more forgiving managers during the first 1-2 years. This is no longer the case as bosses can now hire from 7 billion overseas. They are mean and demanding.

Salary is also quite depress, so students get the wind of it. Fewer good students want to go engineering. Good graduate do not want to do engineering job. Hence, bosses lobby for more foreigners...etc vicious cycle continues.

What bosses mean "very few" Singaporeans applied is, they cannot find 1st class 2nd upper Singaporeans candidate. I told my managers (a PRC as well) about this foreigners issue and she told me, "Singaporean should not envy foreigners".

This batch of managers who are the baby boomers has clearly let the young Singaporeans down.

ar u in hp - one of the companies reported in this forum's thread ?

Unregistered 16-01-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

2000 graduated from nus

4 promotions in 7 years.
No AWS.

By the way, I'm local.

"local" can mean PR or citizen. which one are you? be clear. don't be like our government and straits times.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 01:07 PM

I have graduated from ntu eee with just a pass degree. until now i have applied for like 30 jobs (mostly IT jobs) but i haven't been called up for any interviews at all. any suggestions on what i can do?

and also, what kind of pay should i expect if i do get an interview and subsequently any offers?

Bean 16-01-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19765)
I have graduated from ntu eee with just a pass degree. until now i have applied for like 30 jobs (mostly IT jobs) but i haven't been called up for any interviews at all. any suggestions on what i can do?

and also, what kind of pay should i expect if i do get an interview and subsequently any offers?

you are quite suay,

my friend also EEE NTU, pass degree,

in ST engineering, working abt 6-7mth already...basic abt mid 3.1k..
going to get pro-rated bonus in march..total about 7k+ plus